Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Hi Mike. Car parking in Benalmadena Pueblo is at a premium. Drove up there two or three times in October/November last year and never got a spot once. Arroyo de la Miel is not much better, although you are always guaranteed a place in the car park adjacent to Tivoli World (except Friday market day, that is). Only disadvantage here for anyone lacking mobility is that whatever exit you choose to make on foot, there is a steep incline down to the main road.
Hi Mike

as Tony said parking is not good, especially in July. You may be better off dropping your wife off in Arroyo near the station where she can sit on a bench and wait for you while you park in the Tivoli car park at the back of the station and walk down to her.
Thanks Guys,

How far (time) is it from Tivoli car park to the restaurants.

Also, and forgive my ignorance here and no disrespect to anyone, but is it safe to leave a woman on her own in these areas. The only concern I have is that anything does happen, my wife cannot get up and run away.

Cheers,

Mike
Hi Mike

Once you have parked in Tivoli car park it is just down the hill to the station - probably 2-3 mins walk at most. The station is in arroyo itself and is always very busy. There are benches to sit on and watch the world go by and there are always plenty of people there so I would say it's as safe as anywhere could be. Lots of people meet there so I'm sure she won't be alone!

The station is on the main road and there are lots of restaurants around, you can take your pick from almost any country although the spanish restaurants are definitely the best! The main road is not hilly so you can go for a stroll along it, but if you decide to go to some of the back streets, although they can be a bit hilly you will find lots more restaurants there.
The area around Arroyo station is normally busy, especially in July, so I can see no problems for your wife to be left on her own while you park the car. There are several restaurants within walking distance - one I'd reccomend is the Bar Plaza Espana, about 5 mins walk from the station. Very reasonable - Spanish type dishes and you'll be sure of a warm welcome from Loli and Pedro. There's also a good pizzeria in the corner of the same square. As you leave the station, go in the opposite direction to Tivoli and go down the pedestrianised street, then take the second alley on your left which will lead you into the Plaza Espana (also known as 'Fountain Sq', but the fountain is no longer there). Arroyo is quite safe, as long as you take the usual precautions - keep bags on your lap, not over the back of chairs etc - I have quite often walked home alone after midnight (keeping to well lit streets) and not felt threatened at all.
Any more questions - I'll try to help you the best I can.
Thanks for your replies, and the info provided esp. on the restaurants.

Wife is quite happy about being left alone on the strength of your replies......although she can't promise to wait for me if an Antonio Banderas lookalike comes along!!

Liz - any more restaurant recommendations? We're are over for 11 days in July, and 9 days in August, so any we miss the first time, we can always try on our second visit.

Cheers,

Mike
There are many nice spanish restaurants. What kind of food do you like?
Apart from Indian food, we'll try anything. Basically, we like good food, and don't mind paying the extra if required, although quite happy to eat at the 'basic, but good' places. Certainly, we always look to try the traditional places when we are on holiday.

Only proviso is that I have two kids, and therefore will always look for child-friendly places. Kids are quite good eaters though, and are quite happy to go where we go (luckily).

Cheers,

Mike
All restaurants are child friendly - it's Spain! :lol:

There are lots of restaurants around Arroyo, but try to avoid the British bars if you want good food. For nice meals, you could try any of the following, you may have to ask when you are there for directions, but most people know these places:

Casa Emilios
Giorgios
Bar Tabloa (the shack)
OK1
El Tapeo
There is also a really good fish restaurant behind the station, but can't remember the name - walk up the pedestrianised road and it is on RHS with metal tables and chairs outside.

There are also numerous tapas bars in arroyo, all pretty good. Also try some of the chiringuitos (beach bars) along the seafront, but don't get caught by the waiters trying to haul you into their restaurants along the front - very overpriced and mediocre food!

Lots of spanish bars do 'menu del dia' which are simple 3 course meals with wine, but there will be plenty for the kids to choose from as well.

Hope this helps!
:offtop
I'm sorry but we seemed to have drifted slightly off topic now could we get back to the question of parking in Benal Pueblo and Arroyo please. Alternatively if the original poster thinks the topic has run its course it could be locked to save any further off topic topics being introduced into the original topic if you see what I mean.

Hmm I think that's what I mean :lol:
Me sorry too! :(

Happy to leave this now.

Mike
Thanks guys I'll lock the topic now Mike
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.