Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
The man you want is Cubsur - but he's probably too busy sunning himself in Kent on this beautiful afternoon to bother about logging onto his computer! He has an excellent unofficial public transport website - http://thomasallen.home.sapo.pt/travel/ - which has so much information on it it makes your mind boggle! I think I might have worked out that you can get a bus from PDR to Cabo Sao Vicente but you will have to change at Lagos. I don't know if it runs all year but I'm sure Cubsur will be able to answer that for you as soon as he comes in to get another beer :cheers (though probably not Sagres :sad ).

You will probably find there are excursions that you can take to Sagres (the place, not the beer) and Cabo Sao Vicente, so when you arrive check out the leaflets and flyers or visit the Turismo (Tourist Office) for more details.
I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm to see the Portuguese countryside but at Cabo Sao Vicente, there is only a very windy high cliff and lots of stall-holders trying to sell you t-shirts! I actually don't think that the lighthouse is on the Cabo itself but a short distance away.
However should you go then this may give you a little information. :cheers Enjoy your trip.
http://www.portugalvirtual.pt/_tourism/algarve/vila.do.bispo/index.html
Sunning myself in Kent - bah! It's been grey and raining most of the day!

Anyway there is one direct bus a day from Praia da Rocha to Cape St Vincent on weekdays only, not at weekends.

It leaves Praia da Rocha at 1000am and arrives in Cabo S. Vicente at 1125.

The Praia da Rocha stop is on the main road by the roundabout outside Clube Praia da Rocha (Norte).

It comes back at 1505 so if you don't like the place you are stuck! Or you can walk the 3 and a half miles back to the town of Sagres and spend some time there.

One way fare €5.45 at most.

Complete timetable Lagos - Sagres - Cape St Vincent at http://www.algarvebus.info/012.htm

The last bus from Lagos to Praia da Rocha leaves at 1800 by the way.

The lighthouse etc are about half a mile up the road as it were. I have been there twice and it has been horribly windy. My friend lost his camera case.

I would imagine that the local excursion companies include Cape St Vicente in their itineraries as there were lots of coaches there. Probably they visit for an hour or so then clear off somewhere else I would imagine.

Have a nice trip!
Thanks everyone for your replies. I know it's sad but I'd just like to see the Land's End of Europe!
And this saddo thinks it's well worth the effort! I thought that it was breathtaking!

SM
Agreed the scenery is very arresting, big cliffs, waves crashing against the rocks and stuff but always blowing a gale it seems.
Well my guidebook says "this is a place that stirs the imagination and works a strong magic over the many visitors who flock here" so I'm hoping for some magical stirring!!!
I thought it was the most waste of precious holiday time ever.Yes it was blowing a gale, the stall holders have cardigans on you before you can say a thing and there isnt much else to see.What a complete waste of a day sunbathing on the beach.A lighthouse is a lighthouse after all and cliffs are cliffs whether they are in portugal or england.Its not worth all the effort id say.Its not as if theres breath-taking scenery either.Sorry for all the negativity but if i can save someone else from being bored for a day i will try.Have a nice holiday whatever you decide
Its not as if theres breath-taking scenery either

What can I say? Vertical 300 ft cliffs, spectacular surf, fisherman on almost invisible ledges catching fish with rod and line, the thought that the next landfall west was the east coast of America certainly took my breath away. A day sunbathing on the beach? What a waste of a good day's sight seeing and discovering something that you'll remember for ever. If I can save someone from being bored out their minds stuck on a beach all day than it will have been worth dismissing other people's views of what makes for a good holiday experience.

Seriously, the OP has clearly decided that they want to go and was asking for directions to get there. They'll decide for themelves whether it was worth it later but we all look for different things from a holiday and the most helpful thing is to provide facts, not to try and tell someone else that they'll be bored or won't like it. The fact that there was a lighthouse and cliffs was enough to tell me that I wouldn't be bored and so I went and had a great couple of hours mooching around, taking photos, soaking up the atmosphere. So much so that I went back with another friend the next time I was in the Algarve!

SM
oooh just back from sunny Tenerife and reading this review.SMa i actually thought this was a freedom of speech discussion...not a pop at people that OCCASIONALLY like to relax on a beach on holiday, silly me.I thought the person was actually asking people what they personnally thought.I live in Scotland and we have beautiful scenery Cape St Vincent cant match that by any stretch of the imagination.It was my personal point of view but having been on the bus tour with 50 other people and everyone was of the same opinion i decided to give my point of view.It was a total waste of a day for a walk on a windy..no extremely windy cliff.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.