Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
We stayed at the Phoenix early November and had a fantastic time. The room we stayed in was fine and very clean. I was a lot more impressed than I thought I would be, given that we'd read some not-so-favourable reviews after we had booked. Would definitely stay there again.

The staff were also fantastic, the duty manager even visited us in hospital when my wife had to go in due to a severe stomach upset. He brought a get well card, a basket of fruit (admittedly not ideal food when you're feeling dodgy :wink: ) but appeared genuinely concerned and told us to let them know if we needed anything while she was in hospital. After she was let out the staff behind the desk would always ask how she was, which is a lot more than the rep of our travel company did.
a bit of a mixed holiday then. How was your experience of the hospital?
The hospital was ok, it was all a bit scary as my wife was very dehydrated and weak when we got there in hte early hours. A doctor had come to see us at our hotel earlier in the day but she got worse after he'd seen her so we phoned him back and he referred us to a hospital in Mapusa. We had to get a taxi there in the middle of the night. Fortunately we were given our own private room and I was allowed to stay with her all the time.

The doctors were very good though. Standard of care was fine, cleanliness probably wasn't up to uk standards (my wife is a nurse so made sure that everything was clean and all needles were single use) but not as bad as it could have been. The nurses all seemed very young but they were good to us. As soon as she'd been on a drip for a few hours she started to feel fine and we were let out the next day.

Although two nights of our holiday were spent in hospital it didn't spoil it and we still had a great time. We wouldn't let the experience put us off going back, even though it was our first time in Goa. The first doctor we saw blamed the illness on our malaria tablets and told us not to take them any longer, although the doctor at the hotel said it was a bug that she picked up either from food or a stray ice cube.
The good thing in it all was that the medical and the hotel staff looked after you. I'm glad it didn't put you off Goa.
Just returned from Goa yesterday and cant say we were too impressed with the Phoenix Park (will put in a hotel review about it later). It was an acceptable standard but nothing great. Certainly would not return. However, if its a hotel you always use and havent tried other hotels in Goa then it probably would seem a reasonable standard. Still had a fantastic holiday tho :D
Looking forward to reading your review Gemma ;)
Kath HT Admin
Oh god I'm not looking forward to review - we go in a few weeks.
Gemma33,
You've got me worried now. We are off on Saturday staying at the Pheonix. Last year we stayed at the HBR, wasn't very impressed with it. I was hoping the Pheonix Park was better.
Still we've paid our money we will just have to make do. :( :(
Roll on saturday !! :lol: :fly :glynis
gemma what was wrong with it?
Sorry if ive made anyone worried about going to the Phoenix Park. I can only re-itterate what I said previously if you go there all the time and/or have never been to another hotel then I am sure you will think its brill.

I think the staff at the hotel are lovely, very friendly and helpful, but I think it is higher up the tree (ie management) thats lets the hotel down.

We wrote to the hotel before travelling and asked for a balcony and pool view. Our requested was totally ignored. After a two hour wait and being showed numerous rooms we eventually got a decent enough rooms. Most rooms at the Phoenix Park have dreadful views tho.

Anyway we shouldnt have bothered requesting a balcony. Total waste of time. The balcony has high up with big white pillars and you cant see over the top (if you sit down) or get any kind of view. Plus the roof is slanted and every day the ledge at the top of the balcony was covered in pigeon pooh, so unable to hang towels over it. The room boy did clean away the pooh every day tho.

The stairwell constantly looked dirty and dusty. As for the room there were no drawers and only 3 coat hangers for 2 people for two weeks (more coat hangers requested, but ignored by reception). Had to put our clothes on ledge in the room, which I had to clean first as it was dirty and dusty. Inside of lamps in bedroom covered in dust, had to clean also. The rooms were painted (washed out) yellow and just a small lick of paint over them during the quiet season would have made the room look much brighter.

It did not spoil our holidays in anyway. You dont spend much time in the hotel or room anyway. I love Goa and will return time and time again, but just not to this particular hotel.

It did have a nice pool area and bar and all the staff were so friendly. I think the rooms above the restaurant are probably best if you want the balcony and view. Or if you are not too bothered about a balcony then I believe the rooms above reception and more modern and newer.

Sorry if ive put anyone off. Its just that when youve been to a superior hotel you set your standards much higher. But nonetheless you will have a fantastic holiday and may even differ from what I think cos its only my opinion of course.
Which Goa superior hotel are we to measure it against? I am off to the Pheonix Park in Jan for 3 weeks so will expect more than 3 coat hangers!!
I would take some coat hangers with you Taffy. When we sent out some laundry to be done we ticked the box that the clothes be returned on coat hangers but that didnt bring any success either.
I would prefer to stay at the Marinha Dourada and maybe Lagoa Azul.
goa
hi Taffy we go for 2 weeks in Jan so we'll probably see you there - my husband will be the one going round nicking all the coathangers out of the empty rooms.
hi everybody this is the first time i have asked a question ,only registered today. i love reading this forum. we are going to the phoenix park feb 24th.have been to goan heritage and neelams the grand.decided on the phoenix because of the good reviews but i have just read a bad one regarding cleanliness.can anyone tell me if there is a best block to request or room numbers, there are two couples going. thanks very much.
Check out the reviews for the Phoenix Park HERE

Kath HT Admin
Would stay at the Lagoa Azul every time if it was in Candolim
Wil remember to pack plenty of hangers, however I am sure if I ask one of the sellars one of them will supply at a price!!
Have a fantastic time Taffy and safe journey. Enjoy :D
sorry but who wants a view from their room when you are in Goa. All I use th ebalcony for is to have a fag 8) as for the hangers just ask reception they will send you more up, failing that ask to see the boss he will sort it out in a jiffy.

I love this Hotel and people should not be put off by the 'view'. :roll:
goa
Okay Vegas - 4 weeks tonight we'll be on board plane - roll on.
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.