Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Lindy im going to add that number to my Goa sim card :cry I saw a poor cow with a broken leg in Calangute a few weeks back and cant get the picture of the poor thing out of my mind I have been thinking wonder how it broke the leg ....colleen
Hi Colleen

I'm glad you found the telephone number useful. I know what you mean about being upset by the sight of these injured animals. When we arrived at our usual shack in November, eager to see the dogs as they were sort of owned by the shack owner (well he fed them and made sure they were ok in the monsoon). Only to discover that loads had been poisoned, his included, as some other dogs had attacked a pig, so the pig owner put down bait, rumour had it that as many as 35 dogs died. I don't know how true this was but I didn't see one dog this season that I recognised from last season!
:cry Funny you should say that Lindy my hubby and I were just saying there did not seem to be as many dogs about this time ...How can someone live with there self and sleep in their bed knowing they have done harm to anything SHAME ON THEM
We also missed the number of dogs this year, esp outside the Rock Cafe on Calangute main st, where there used to be tons :( :( we usually make a trip up to the animal rescue centre but didn't get round to it this year :(
This culling of the dogs (for whatever reason) seems very barbaric, very upsetting and definitely leaves a nasty taste.

I just like to think that if I see any animal in distress, I can at least help.
Oh God, when I read things like this, re the locals poisoning dogs, it puts me off going back there, lining their pockets. I too saw some terrible sights in November. On Benaulim beach there is a dog that has been so abused, boiling oil thrown on him when he was younger, and this year rocks thrown at him, one damaging his eye so much he is going to lose the eye.
He is ironically called 'Ghee', because of the boiling fat incident and is still so trusting and friendly to humans. You'd think he would haver learned to be wary of them by now, or to be aggressive, but sadly no.
Luckily, in a way, there is a European woman who lives in Benaulim, that looks out for the beach dogs, and she ensured he was treated and had anti-biotics. Cruelty for no reason is so unacceptable.

I saw a lot of calf's wandering alone in the north too this year. Many injured.They are all unaware of the dangers on the roads. I thought Hindu's valued the cow, but seeing steaks on so many menu's, this can't be the case any longer.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.