Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
Hairyhamster

Would it not be possible to e-mail or phone the airport if no-one comes up with the answer on here. I myself will be taking our dog to Tenerife in July so would be interested to find out if this is the case.

Jackie
i have tried to call them, and the airline direct but got no answer from each.....
You may like to send an email to ask about the collection of pets from Tenerife Sur airport.

E-mail address infotfs@aena.es

Not sure if you would need to write it in Spanish but as the site is in English you may be OK.
that link is asking for a password
Does clicking on the above link not open an email window with the address in the top left hand corner it does with me and there is no request for a password. Can someone else click on the email address and reply please.
no sorry it doesnt... when i click the link i get a passwoed box.... anyone else ???
Hairyhamster

As I said in my previous post this subject interests me as I will be taking our dog in July, so I took the liberty of e-mailing the airport on the above address (it did not ask me for a passsword). Have not had a reply yet but I did e-mail in English but as mentioned in previous post website is in English. If and when I get a reply will post the answer

Rgds
Jackie
ive tried that link again, and it opens a browser page and asks for a password....... must be me !!!!! anyway, i have family in tenerife at the moment have been told this by two seperate people, so im assuming that it is correct and the dog will be staying the night at the airport... shes gonna love that !!!
im flying tomorow (tuesday) so will post and let you know what happened......
Hope everything goes OK and you and your dog don't get too stressed
I'ver made contact with a couple of people through another forum.

One brought his dogs over in 04 and collected them around 5pm.

The other came over in January and collected after 4pm. He also mentioned that there can be a problem with "heart worms" (not sure if this is different to normal worms) and can result in serious illness, the dogs take a tablet each month whcih you can get from Pet Shops. I'm trying to get more info and will post anything I receive
Be interested in that. Heart worms don't sound too good. We are in process of getting our dogs passport, he has had rabies vaccines and just had his blood test but they have not mentioned the possibility of Heart worms.
Heart worms are not present in the UK but can be found in dogs in warmer countries (i.e, this one). They are very different to normal round worms etc. The adult worms live in the heart and produce larvae. These then travel around the blod stream and can be passed on via things like mosquitos etc.

Stronghld (the spot on flea/worms and mange treatment) also treats heartworm so you will be covered when here. You shouldnt need it to trnsport a dog into Tenerife, but you will be needing the flea, worm and tick treatment done so you might as well get the stronghold so everything is covered.

Any other info I can help with, just ask.
Thanks for that information Apollo, better to be safe than sorry.
No problem, happy to help. Am a vet nurse so if you need any info just ask :D
Apollo

Cresswr2 says in his post that the dogs have to take these tablets once a month for Heartworm, is that correct or is it just a one off treatment and can I get them in the UK or will I have to get them when in Tenerife.? (Sorry Cresswr2, not saying you are not right but just need to check)Also as mentioned in my post our dog has just had his blood test after having the 2 rabies vaccines, can you tell me why the vet took it from the underside of his neck. I was unaware of this at the time as the vet took him away from me into another room to do the blood test, it wasn't until I got home and my daughter noticed he had been shaved under his collar on the underside of his neck. I just assumed they would take it from his leg.

Thanks
Jackie
Hiya

Dont worry at all about the blood being taken from the neck, its very common, often the vein is bigger and more visible and the blood pressure is higher.
As for tablets, yes they do have them (sorry if I implied they didnt), however over here you will probbly find that 9 out of 10 vets are unaware of them or just simply dont do them (same goes fro the pet shops) and the only course of treatment/prevention they do is Stronhold.
Some common tablets are Heartgard and heartgard plus and Interceptor. They even have a daily treatment as well.
But, as I said, over here vets are completely satisfied with the use of Stronghold so you will be fine.
Hi

Thanks for the help Apollo, much appreciated

Rgds Jackie
hi jackie..... sorry took a while to reply, but been working sooooo hard!!

anyway good news.... it was right what i posted previously regarding the cargo closing, however after pulling a few sad faces at a guard at the cargo bit of tfs he made a call, and i was re-united with my pooch around 15 mins after leaving the airport!!!! which was about 8pm ish. she made the trip very well, and although is following me round like a little lamb everywhere i go she didnt seem at all bothered!!!
hope all goes well
paul
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.