Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
When things like this happens I really wish, ask, beg, people to report it to the authorities i.e. by writing a letter of complaint, copied to the tour operator and / or airline as well as the Al Ahram Weekly English newspaper, to the Ministry of Tourism and the Ministry of Civil Aviation in Egypt. Full details should be enclosed in the letter.

Please do this as this will help prevent such actions happening again.
Gosh... I am really surprised to hear that. I have always felt safer in Egypt than anywhere else I have travelled to. I suppose it just takes even one incident to give a place a bad name.

I remember my first trip to Egypt, Luxor, and relayed my concerns to the rep about pick pockets etc, and was told that he had worked there for 17 years and had never come across anything - it was more than their lives were worth, and that I could safely walk down the street with my purse hanging out of my bag and it wouldnt be touched - albeit I never tried it!!!!

But I do think when visiting places such as Egypt, where they earn so little for working such long hours, temptation shouldnt be put their way - perhaps people should be responsible and not leave notes loose in their pockets - you wouldnt do that here, especially in the likes of big cities, London or wherever.

Certainly doesnt put me off, we are booked to come back again next year, yipee :lol:
Well I am embarrassed to say that I was also caught out.

Going back to the UK for a visit in June I thought I would take some of our pound coins. Going through I put everything into the dish as instructed and passed through the metal detector. If I had not already counted how much I had I would never have missed it.

I asked the security guy to show his hands. Very clever, his little finger was bent and lo and behold underneath was my money.

In my case it was only £1 but if they are doing this regularly, it can mount up.

As said before me, report it. Egypt is trying to get back, and winning, the tourists, but reports like this will do nothing to encourage visitors.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.