Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Obajjar Restaurant in Xjennir Bay, Marselforn, Gozo (i thin it isXjennir bay..but definitely Marselforn).
We have just got back from Malta (7th June 2007) and we found that Papparazi in St. Julians was great, also there is a great indian restaurant next to Jade chinese (also good food lol) the food was fantastic but sneaked in extra costs but as long as you are aware then try this fantastic Indian and then the Chinese next door but not all in the same night lmao. We also enjoyed the TGI Fridays on the outskirts of Siliema on the front.
One thing we found fustrating was that the main diet of Maltese is pizza, pasta and burgers lol, if you like this type of food then hey your on your way in Malta.
finally spotted Lublu Lounge - its between Gleneagles and Sammys
but did you have a meal there gozomark?
not yet, but will do soon !
Part of my Gozo adventures report...a couple more places to eat...

Il Bukkett - it is overlooking Comino and the ferry harbour at Mgarr. We watched some locals playing some bowls type of game..but I also had to tell some kid off for kicking the restaurant cat who had recently had kittens..didn't kick her once..but 3 times. Little oik!

Rosies place..don't know if that is its official name but the locals call it that. it is right on the beach front at Ramla Bay. Superb omelettes!
Just a quick note to anyone thinking of Jeffries in Gharb, Gozo... We were very disappointed as there was a lot of hype about this restaurant... The approach taken when I complained that my deep fried breaded cheese for starter was cold was met with "this is how it's served in Gozo". I should have left at that piont but held out for the main course.... well I wasn't let down. My wifes Lapuka looked like it had decided to arrive in three separate pieces.. It was a very sorry presentation the like we have not seen since...

This was our first visit to Gozo and I would recommend the Island to any one.. absolutely fantastic... There were excellent restaurants and the fiesta celebrations in San Lawrenz and Victoria were marvellous...
the reputation of the place was built on a chef called Mike, who now works in Marsalforn
Many thanks for the update... I wonder if anyone else has encountered similar situations there..?? The Country Terrace in Mgarr was good (service excellent) but the restaurant we found to be totally on form was in Xlendi.. The name temporarly escapes me (I think it was called Tiumi) up a quiter road from the sea front (very good fish restaurant).. The owner went out of his way to make sure that our 22nd wedding anniversary went well...
thats It-Tmun (Xlendi) - his son has opened at restaurant in Victoria called It-Tmun (Victoria) - he admits his son's restaurant is even better !
The Carrubia in Marsaxlokk, very good but can get very busy meaning a bit of a wait but hey, who cares when you are on holiday.
Three restaurants I can definitely recommend are:

Ciappetti - Mdina
Rebeka's - Mellieha

Quality food, great service and nicely decorated...
We really liked Mamma Mia on Tower Road I think in Sliema. We were in Malta about 4 years ago though so things may have changed.
Mamma Mia is good, although on weekends they don't take reservations so it's first come first serve and if you're unlucky it'll be a waste of time.

That one's in Ta Xbiex by the way, on the sea side near the yacht marina.
Tried Ta'Marija in Mosta earlier this week. We found the food was ok but nothing special. We also couldn't believe they still utilise a sweet trolley, which ruined the experience for us. These things are rather unhygenic due to being exposed to the atmosphere for hours on end (dust, flies etc) and the staff constantly leaning over them (saliva, hair etc). Also the young waitresses were squeezing chocolate sauce out of large refillable (and old looking) plastic bottles around each slice of cake they cut from the trolley - not a good sight really. We definetly gave desrt a miss.

It was also rather expensive and a bit tacky inside (the bar is shaped like a galleon ship :roll: ).

Our taxi driver who we know very well wouldn't go there but we said we would try it. Oh well.

I'd recommend sticking to the smaller, less advertised family run restaurants for better food quality and value for money.
If like Herself and I you're in Sliema and fancy an excellent Chinese meal then try The Peak Oriental Cuisine, 8th Floor, The Plaza Commercial Centre, Bisazza Street, 2131 4862. There are internal and external lifts to the 8th floor

The food is excellent and in my opinion the best Chinese food served in Malta. Stella, (owner) is in personal charge and a welcome awaits all.
For me it was Bobbyland in Dingli..the sea views over the cliffs, while sitting eating and drinking,i just have to go back oneday....
I can highly recommend Qajjenza Bar & Restaurant, Triq Qajjenza, Qajjenza, Birzebbuga. Fantastic views, right opposite the Freeport in a quiet residential area. The food is great and excellent value for money. They do the best pizzas on the island, in my opinion anyway!
If you want a taste of the real Malta try making your own Bigilla Its a very old traditional recipe for a broadbean paste.

edit - As I realise how hard it can be to get the traditional dried broadbeans that are readily available in Malta I've done a second version of Bigilla using frozen/fresh broadbeans which although isn't the traditional method and comes out a different colour is very good copy of the traditional version - Bigilla from fresh/frozen broadbeans

Steve
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.