Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
where in Malta ? - its small, but not that small

how do you define good ?
The Kitchen
210 Tower Road, Sliema

Went to the kitchen last year, most nights we walked around trying to find good places to eat, The Kitchen never had a table free and we were turned away three times, one night we went out late and got a table, well worth it food great not too expensive and good service that I think is hard to find in Malta resturants.

Also on the cheap side I'm sure it's called Surfside (pizza place) again Tower Rd on the sea front bad service great pizza's and pasta.

If you find any others when your out in malta let us know when you get back. Im going again at the end of June.
Have a good time!
There are loads of great restaurants and bars in the St Julians/Spinola/Paceville areas. All these are within 5 mins walk of each other. Anythingfrom Maltese/Chinese/Greek/Italian/Steak house/Fish/Japanese etc.

With regards to places like the Surf side, they are not cheap. Plate of ribs with chips & a salad for €15? ah...but they include a bottle of wine, yeah that's €2 from the supermarket. Best to avoid the places right on the sea front, since the food tends to be average at best but the prices well above average.
Are there any at all, I have never found one
Dave.

Dave what do you call a good bar mate ?, I know what we like and you generally don't find them in touristy places like ghastly Qawra/Buggiba or even in Sliema although there are a few exceptions with Tony's Bar and Hole in the Wall being very good bars, our favourite bars are in Siggiewi, Hamrun, Floriana, Zebbug, Birkirkara, Santa Venera, Valletta, Pieta, Qrendi, Zurrieq, Marsa, Qormi, and because we have been to the islands 32 times now there are probably a few other towns / villages that I can't recall at present but as I said we know what we like.

Regards
Sliema2
Hello Sliema2, the thing is to me its a bit like Quintin Crisp sort of a thing, do you remember he was always looking for a big dark stranger but never found him, well I find it hard to find the bar of my dreams.
Each year we go of on holiday hoping to find that bar sometimes we get near to finding it and then its gone, so what is it we are after.
It does not have to be full on entertainment but some is nice, I like to do a bit of Karaoke perhaps a Quiz and then what about a good singer/trio or group not all on the same night, then there is good beer/wine and a fine brandy. Nice seats are always welcome and pleasent staff but I don't mind just a nice cosy bar with nice people to talk to ether.
But I find in a lot of resorts that what you get is a run down pub under the name of Ye Old Red Lion, British pub run by a local with a English speaking person serving and him behind the bar pulling flat beer, with fatty cheap English food. Football on the telly all day unless it has the soaps on for the Ladys. Never a dartboard to be seen as you don't have to pay to use them just pool at X amount to have a go, look at me having a rant agian you would think the time share men were after me, any way pray tell me what your idea of a good watering hole is.

Dave.
any way pray tell me what your idea of a good watering hole is.

Do you mean a good watering hole in the uk ? or a good watering hole in Malta, Germany, or Belgium ?.
hmm, not many unfortunately. try fontanella tea rooms in valetta, and also the pizzeria the cave, also in valletta. try peppinos in sliema
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.