Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Places to see
32 Posts
Are you going for 1 or 2 weeks as i think some of the trips would be better to do on a 2 week holiday .
we are going for the first time soon , and i have got a list as long as my arm of what i would love to do and see , but know i wont be able too .
have a great time .
We are going for 2 weeks and like you we have never been to Tunisia before if you have any ideas we would like it would be great one thing we don't do the 2 day trips.
Geovil
i have found Ht to be very helpful and enjoy looking at this websites that they have referred me to
http://www.nomarmiteintunisia.co.uk

you will get lots of advice from other members also
Hi Geovil

Do the Sahara trip! yes I know it's 2days but well worth it and you will get to see most of what you have mentioned in your post. Sunrise over the salt lakes is not to be missed!!
Yes Llindy
We have got a lot of information from this site.
Geovil
Would love to do the Sahara trip but from what I have read you are on the coach for quite a few hours have also just read what time in the morning you have to get up and that is a definite no no,so we will look for day trips,we are looking at a couple of places The Red Lizard Train Ride and a trip to Korbous if you can get to them in a couple of hours any help would be appreciated.
Geovil
Thanks for that but We have read all about the Red Lizard Train just trying to find out if it is a viable day out how far it is from Sousse and how long it would take to get there.

Geovil
good question Geovil, that would be interesting to know
The train from Sousse to Metlaoui runs only twice a day and it's a 6 hr journey each way.
Departure times 11.48 am and 22.55 pm, arriving at resp. 17.11 pm and 04.24 am.
Trainfare is about 15 Dinar one way/25 Dinar return

The red lizard train starts at 10am on sun/tues/thursdays and 10.30am on mon/wed/fridays. Cost 20 Dinars for the red lizard.
(Metlaoui, the starting point of the train, is about 300 Km from Sousse.)

So, all in all, you won't be able to do it in ONE day
Well I am afraid we will not be going on the Red Lizard Train at least not this time.
Geovil
same here , but its worth thinking about for next time
I'm afraid the trip to Korbous is quite a journey as well.
A two hour trainride from Sousse to Tunis, then hop on a bus for one hour to Soliman (10 km from Korbous) and finally a taxi or louage to Korbous.
(I didn't want to be the messenger of bad news, but there you are)
Thanks for the reply had an idea it would be about that may still do it as we want to go to Tunis and Carthage anyway will see when we get there in 3 days.
Geovil
Hi,

If you're wanting somewhere closer to Sousse, you might like to look into Kairouan. Not sure how long it takes to get there from Sousse, but it will definitely fall within your max of 2 hours. The main sight there is the most important mosque in North Africa. Non muslims are allowed to visit the courtyard, except on Fridays.

Half day trips to Kairouan are offered by lots of the tour operators. You could also diy if you're hiring a car. Another option would be to negotiate a half day rate for hiring a taxi (I did this once in Djerba and found the price more than reasonable - about 30TD for 3-4 hours, although it's likely to be more from Sousse).

A.
Good info from sunstruck, we hired a car and driver (taxi) via our hotel reception when we were in PEK and it cost the four of us £13 each for a day.

More info regarding this can be found here - http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=136680&hilit=Kairouan

Graham
We are going to Tunisia first time. A friend who has been there says whatever else we do, we should try to get to Sidi bon Said. No idea how far that is but seems its lovely. Maybe a day trip is possible.
Sidi Bou Said is indeed lovely and well worth a visit. If you do go try and find a lovely cafe called L'Aetite Svede, owned by a Swedish lady and her Tunisian husband. They do all sorts of lovely teas, in a china pot, and pastries to die(t) for!
sounds interesting to me , is it possibe to do this as a day trip , can you arrange it yourself or is it done through booking agents or rep we are staying in pek
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.