General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
OMG Shirley I am going away on Sunday and the holiday clothes I wore in December dont fit me. :yikes I have had them hanging on the wardrobe for a week now but after trying them on half of them have gone back into the wardrobe
I have had a nightmare few days shopping and finding things that are not too expensive as I have a wardrobe full of nice clothes that I only wear on holiday.
I am hoping to get into them in May when we go to Rhodes but going on an AI holiday is not much help. :rofl
Just how do you avoid those desserts. :que
By now, I've usually bought a few things for my Easter holiday - so far this year I haven't bought anything - unheard of. My wardrobe is crammed jam with stuff, but I would like to buy a pair of white linen trousers before we go. I have a shopping trip planned in Cardiff for next Saturday, so hope to find them there. I have a weekend in Cardiff at the beginning of May, so anything needed for our summer jollies will be bought then.
I'm planning now , have bought two new outfits but my dasughter asked if she could borrow my suitcase which had last years summer clothes in , when she emptied the case out and i looked at the clothes and shoes handbags that were in the case i said to myself "i have to go through these and sort out what still fits and what i still want " there was a brand new dress pair of white leggings and a pair of white patent wedge sandals that i have never worn.
I'm very laid back when it comes to beach holidays and travel very light. I spend most days in beach wear and wraps so 2 or 3 swimming costumes and wraps and a pair of flip flops do for daytimes and a few mix and match items for evenings. I can usually just about manage with a very small case, the kind many use as hand luggage. I usually buy toiletries there and if the hotel doesn't provide beach towels I buy one there and bin it at the end. So although I start getting excited 4 or 5 weeks before, I don't worry too much about the clothes.
although I start getting excited 4 or 5 weeks before, I don't worry too much about the clothes.

Clothes are a big part of my holiday as I don't have many evenings out at home so I like to dress up a bit for our evenings abroad. I have got better over the years though as I can now manage with about 10 or 11 outfits for a 14 night holiday instead of a different one for every night :D
I start making plans from the minute I book my holiday. Im a big list maker and start my lists then too. I go through all of our holiday stuff and make sure its all ok, still fits and not looking too shabby then decide what new things we all need, we all have at least 1 new outfit. Ive already started buying underwear (have to have new undies for holidays) and this will be put away. I cull the decent tshirts from hubby's wardrobe (already hidden and he hasnt or doesnt notice ;) ). Ive already got myself a new top, crop trousers & a maxi dress and new shorts for hubby. Having a dilemma for daughter because it seems that in her age group the clothes are "too old". Whats wrong with pretty dresses and skirts, its all denim and revealing and I dont like it :banghead: . Getting dressed up for the evenings is part of my holiday too so I like to be prepared.

We dont go till June by the way :oops: :shock: :lol:
I cull the decent tshirts from hubby's wardrobe (already hidden and he hasnt or doesnt notice

Same here :D if I don't hide the tidy stuff he'll wear them to God knows where. He doesn't believe in dressing for the occasion and will put decent clothes on to go and do some work in the shed :duh
I do that too . All the decent T shirts are hidden under the bed . Unfortunately he's found that stash now . :rofl
Once he's worn them a few times they go all grubby or yellow under the pits.

I used to buy loads starting a couple of months before but I've grown more sensible with age I think. I usually only take about 5/6 outfits evening outfits now, even for 14 nights . I used to pack loads but alternate between those that felt comfortable .

I wont be buying much , if anything for Egypt over Easter as I have plenty from last summer . Went a bit mad last year and spent loads .Might have to get a light cardi or something to go over the top and some new jewels but that's about it . Bought a great stash of swimwear too last year so no need for any of that either .

So no more spending for me at the moment . Are you all impressed. :)
JMK .You sound very stylish .One of our euro chicks that can glide effortlessly between beach and evening wear with minimal effort.
I look after number one when holiday clothes shopping , if hubby wants new T shirts or shirts he buys them not me , been caught out too many times with buying his clothes for him , he wouldn't dream of going out and buying anything for me
As soon I've put my card details in and booked our holiday I start thinking about clothes. Either within the next hour me and the girls are up and out buying clothes or the next day lol. I buy little pieces (swimwear, underwear) early then as it gets closer I buy outfits. We have cupboards full of clothes already in Cyprus but you can't help but buy more! ;)

CourtneeLouise x
I usually book my hols about a year in advance so I don't go buying much until about 6 or so weeks before we go as I always try and lose a few pounds and the clothes would probably not fit if I bought them straight away. I've lost about half a stone lately so I'll need to try on my Easter clothes soon but I'm sure I was this size last Easter so I should be ok :)
JMK .You sound very stylish .One of our euro chicks that can glide effortlessly between beach and evening wear with minimal effort.

Haha thanks Lyn but I'm not. My hubbie is a windsurfing enthusiast and many of our holidays are based on or near a beach where he can wizz about all day and I flop around with a book. Windsurfing holidays are very laid back and people just don't dress up so I can get by with a few casual things and in fact a pair of shorts and a few tops would be fine.
I am very lucky in that we have quite a lot of holidays and some are in our own holiday home so those trips are easy and I just leave stuff there and some of my clothes have been hanging in the wardrobe there for 5 years but only being used a few weeks a year. After a winter away from them they seem like new again lol. I used to take lots of things with me but now I'm really not bothered about having loads of clothes and would prefer to spend the money on loads of holidays.
As soon as the summer stock hit the shops before Easter I start to think about my wardrobe for our family holiday in August. I have got better since our first holiday abroad though. I took so many vest tops, shorts and skirts to wear in the day that were hardly needed apart from covering up for breakfast time. At least I know now all is really needed for a 2 week holiday is 3-4 lots of pool and beach wear, 2 outfits for going into town or shopping in the day and about 10 outfits for going out at night. Somehow I never tend to stick to this plan. :D

The run up to the holiday includes a ritual of me putting all my clothes on my bed and sorting out mix and match outfits, taking a top and 2 shorts away because it looks too much. I step back and then think 'hmm doesn't look enough' so end up putting the top and 2 shorts back plus another dress and 2 pairs of sandals!. No wonder my cases are always packed to the brim :rofl

I will always take my white linen trousers which can be dressed up or down for day or night. I have bought a new pair of black ones which I'll probably wear for travelling. I'm off to Corfu and have decided to take more dresses than tops and bottoms this year. I think slipping a loose fitted sundress/maxi dress on will feel better than feeling stuffed into a pair of shorts. I sometimes feel bloated with the heat and over indulging of AI doesn't help me either!
I don't really plan what to wear, just mix and match, swimwear, shorts and tee-shirts for the day and accessorize tops and bottoms (usually jeans, white and blue) . I have been known to wear a dress but not often!!....Caz
bought 2 lovely pairs of linen trousers this morning - one white, and one chambray
I usually know what im taking as most of it is put away from the last holiday. I do buy new swimwear for each holiday and flipflops. A few weeks before we go on holidays we have a "holiday shopping" day(usually the same day as we pick up tickets from the travelagents) where we go and look around the shops and buy clothes if we see something we like but if theres nothing that takes our fancy we have got plenty stuff already at home to take.

Lily :sun2
Rachincov wrote:

The run up to the holiday includes a ritual of me putting all my clothes on my bed and sorting out mix and match outfits, taking a top and 2 shorts away because it looks too much. I step back and then think 'hmm doesn't look enough' so end up putting the top and 2 shorts back plus another dress and 2 pairs of sandals!. No wonder my cases are always packed to the brim :rofl

That is so me :rofl only difference is, I take hubby's shorts and tshirts away and not mine :really

Im taking 4 dresses this year which is 8 days' worth of clothes if I wear each one twice so in theory I only need 1 more outfit for a 10 day stay. Yeah right, like thats going to happen ;)
already started getting mine.mind you I have loads of summer gear from last years hols...love digging out my maxi dresses, shorts, gladiators and sandals...hate winter clothes..
Tried on some of my shirts, also going to the gym to loose weight, and so far for the last 8 weeks, I have lost 15lbs in weight, going to continue with this, but also try to tone up my body

Come june, will try everything on, whci I want to take, and decide if I need anything new, Im hoping if I loose enough weight, I might be able to fit into holiday clothes froma few years back
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.