Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Im surprised that First Choice have contacted you direct as everything is normally done through the agent.

Have you been back to the travel agents to see what they say ?

Kath HT Admin
No, this through the First Choice Travel Shop
Have you spoken to the people who told you originally you didnt have to pay the full deppppppppposit ?

Kath
Yes, they are denying it and threatened me with court action
Oh blimey. I cant see a way round it. If you cancel you will still probably have to pay the outstanding deposit.

However, as you say you did not sign anything, so why not have a quick word with Travel Law Solicitor, Ros Fernihough or her Secretary, who will be able to tell you where you stand.

Her contact details are:

The direct number to Ros's PA Pam is 01922 705134

Or try the switchboard number 01922 633214 and ask for Travel Dept.

Kath
I can't either, I will give her a call.

Like I say, I don't mind paying it, it is just the fact that they have thrown this at me and said that I did not have to pay it within the 8 weeks
Can you please clarify which October you are on about? 2008 or 2009?

If 2008 then the full balance would be due now and the requests for payment would be for that.

fwh
You made an initial payment of £100 for which you have a receipt. By payment of this and the giving of a receipt you entered into a contract.

There does seem to be some confusion as to if you were aware you had signed up to the "low deposit" scheme. According to what you write I assume you were not aware you had but the money paid by you has been treated as such. The normal deposit would be greater.

All TOs do require a minimum deposit when a booking is made. You would seem to have paid £100 "on account" and they are asking for the balance of the deposit. They are quite correct in doing so.

You would need to consult the terms and conditions regarding the cancellation policy applicable to them.

Even on the minimum deposit scheme they do actually require the balance of the deposit to be paid by a particular date. Failure on your part to do so allows them to cancel the holiday and sue for the outstanding balance.

It would appear from what you say that the agent was disorganised to say the least but you did enter into an agreement.

Kath has suggested you contact Ros for advice. You need to do this with the minimum of delay to confirm the actual legal position on this but I believe I am correct in what I say.

fwh
I have looked at the First Choice website and found this information

Details below are taken from First Choice website and FULL details can be found at this link.

http://www.firstchoice.co.uk/help/booking-online/low-deposits/

There does seem to be some confusion. You say the holiday is 2009 but for a 2008 holiday then this applies - Low deposit for holidays PRIOR to Fri 01 May 2009 do require a top up payment. You need to check when this holiday is actually due according to First Choice. If they have it (incorrectly) recorded as 2008 then they are correct in requesting payment.

Holidays departing Fri 01 May 2009 Onwards

Low deposits are offered on all holidays. No deposit top-up amount is required. This is included within your final payment, due 8 weeks before departure.

You do need to take account of this.

In the event of cancellation, customers are liable for the full deposit amount as per our standard terms and conditions. Offer applies to new bookings only and may be withdrawn at any time.

fwh
Thank you so much for your help.

I will do all that you said and let you know.

Like I say, I am not bothered about paying the £290, I just can't afford it at this minute
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.