Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Is the demolishing of illegal shacks a good or bad thing?

Surely, with the illegal ones gone, it leaves the better ones behind?

Or are they all illegal???

:que

Will there be any left by the end of next week when I am due to arrive?
well a lot (72 ish) just didnt get their licence (as usual) and probably some didnt apply, I don't know,but there are plenty left, just all their signs thrown all at back of the beach and a very tense atmosphere down there ..those that hadnt yet been 'visited' waiting their turn, removing beds and umbrellas and various other things, not a lot of music and generally just a heavy feeling we felt, but this comes after a bad season for many and is probably the last straw if you know what i mean, I am sure things will be back to 'normal' in a few days when it all blows over (the media coverage) I expect the 10pm music curfew will be back everywhere in Goa though :( although you never know here do you!!
chilly
What a terrible outcome after a teribble accurance,hope everything gets back to the normal
relaxing holiday atmosphere as soon as possible.
Pat :(
Yes only 5 beds per shack now until end of season and monsoon starting this week heavy rains for easter what more for Goa late start to season and early finish.
I took a trip down to Gokarna and noticed what beaches used to look like (sun bed free), they're glorious... I know lots of people like to laze about on the sunbeds but it really does spoil the view... I went to Little Vagator a few weeks ago and what was a lovely beach has turned into a mountain of sunbeds... Compeltely spoils it. I have to say I'm quite happy about the number being reduced... (Sorry Guys!!!!)
I went to baga in feb,went to my regular shack the oceanic,you could not move for sunbeds and boats,i left that day and never went back to baga beach,went aswen beach further north nice quite beach but wont be long before its in the full grip of the R------s noticed none of them payed for sunbeds or used the shacks,
Agree with poipleshadow gokarna has wonderfull beaches all sun bed free but unfortunatly not drug free also little vagator nice beach ok many sun beds the scenery is to die for But again drugs IF anything changes then please let Goa have drug free beaches
Not too sure it was due to the murder.

According to daily herald it was to ensure more space for tourists to access beaches safely.

some shacks baga side were putting loungers up to waters edge making movement difficult to say the least.

Was not conducted in an aggressive manner though and most of shack owners had already reduced numbers of sunbeds before the polkice hit.
Mobile phones carrier pidgeon and semmiphore i guess.

Limit now is 15 pairs per shack

Taxi :sun2
I was there when It happened.

Police should spend their time looking for Drug dealers, rapist and murderers. Not looking for bribes and smashing sun beds. Goan Police are living in a dream world IMO.

Take my word for it. Goa will be dead next season. They have ruined it themselves with the help of a rather large amount of pervy men with no respect for western women, and the fact that I kept being mistaken for walking Cash Card"¦ :(
Take my word for it. Goa will be dead next season. They have ruined it themselves with the help of a rather large amount of pervy men with no respect for western women, and the fact that I kept being mistaken for walking Cash Card"¦

Yes you may be right, it just needed one major incident to expose how corrupt, seedy and sordid Goa has now become. It has always had a dodgy subculture but now that it has been exposed in all to the world there is little chance of regaining the confidence of many who no longer see it as 'paradise'. Very sad indeed all the negative (REAL) posts that have been appearing here this season.
I think "dead next season" maybe already happening. We speak to some local friends on a regular basis - and they are already saying that there are far fewer British tourists than previous years. I think they are concerned as they prefer Bristish tourists to any others (which is nice to hear!).
I wish this ha been exposed before we booked, off in 2 wks time to south but with weather looking poor what does one do except ..........
bill
I know how you feel Stark
We're off in just over 2 weeks to candolim and I'm not that excited about it :(
I'm sure the weather will pick up though, we went in April last year and it was roasting :sun2
but if the bars and shacks shut early theres not much anyone can do :que
Stark, Leentina, Don't worry too much, you will still have a great holiday.......the first time is the best!! Weather is ok too so there's a bonus for you.
Enjoy, GFF xx
yeah was there last april too at north but hopefully sun oot.. :sun2

and no hassle from local idiots :duh
its still very very hot so don't worry, we went to Anjuna market today and the place was very empty of tourists, a lot of stall owners told us this will be the last one this year as so many (sellers) have left already and i have to say there seemed to be far fewer stalls particularly the european sellers (no great loss really) but we still had fun and a lot of bargains to be had.............. i am sure there will be another market next week as they often say this toward the end of the season........ no rain today so far for sure!! :)
chilly
Hope Anjuna will be there next week, always enjoy a mooch around and breakfast on the beach!
I was at Ganesh shack when the police started their raids.It was very sad seeing the heavy handed way they dealt with the illegal shacks.Also it was disgraceful to see how scared Ganesh was of the official who came to check his licence.

I commented to Ganesh(I think it was Ganesh)that maybe it was better if the illegal shacks were not there as he had had to pay a lot for his licence.He just smiled and said"yes but they have paid as well".Good old indian corruption for you.

Very sad seeing the faces of the owners as their beds were carted off.Probably had to pay a bribe to get them back later.

Regards

Papa
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.