Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
That depends where you intend to stay.
Weather - temperature in upper 70's/low 80's , should be dry (unlike now!), not expensive (but not dirt cheap either) and in June everywhere will be open but not crowded.

Beaches sandy and generally safe.

Many people speak English (but it's polite to ask first) so no trouble in getting around etc. Many bars and restaurants owned and run by English people if that's your thing.

The resorts differ a lot in character so you'll need to decide what type of holiday you want. Then some of us may make suggestions!
I know very little about Bulgaria but suspect it will be cheaper.

On the downside, you'll probably be constrained to whatever the tour companies want to offer as a package whereas Portugal is dead easy for DIY with reliable low cost scheduled airlines going in all directions (as well as the not-so-reliable TO flights to Faro!) and a tourist industry used to dealing with individuals. And the Portugeuse do at least use the same alphabet so even if you don't speak it you can often pick odd bits out from similarities with Spanish or French.

June on the Algarve is about as hot as I can take, but don't forget there is more to Portugal than the Algarve.
Bulgaria isn't in the same league as Portugal whatsoever! i have been to each of these countries once but in 14 days Portugal gets my second visit, i never usually go back somewhere twice as we like to try different destinations so that says it all.

Bulgaria isn't as cheap as people make it out to be as well, granted it is compared to western European countries but believe me they are catching up quickly!
The lady who looks after our house in Albufeira while we are in the UK is Bulgarian, she has lived in Portugal for 5 yrs, she came with her husband and children for a better life and says she wouldnt go back to live in Bulgaria, and the weather in portugal is better & more consistent, so that may give you a reason for choosing Portugal over Bulgaria.
Hi All

It's a bit late now as I went to Bulgaria in June as it was so expensive to get out to Portugal. Please note that I work for a travel agents and even with my discount Bulgaria was alot cheaper.

The Euro is not very good as well so that was another factor.

I had a lovely holiday in Bulgaria and recommend it if you are on a tight buget. At 50p a pint of beer you can't really complain. I hope to go to Portugal one day but it will have to be when the Euro is better and the prices to to go out there are cheaper.

Regards
Anna
Bulgaria IS cheaper then Portugal but imvho it has to be, not in the same league what so ever!!!
I don't think Portugal is that expensive.

OK, I know Bulgaria is disgustingly cheap, but I agree with mark - no comparison.
We've visited both 5 times but only stayed in Sunny Beach and Lagos. 1st went to Sunny Beach in 1998 and loved it until after a couple of years gap we returned in 2005 and felt the resort had got too over developed. We had planned to return to Bulgaria in 2006 to a smaller resort but left it too late and couldn't get a flight, ended up going to Lagos and have been going back ever since a couple of times a year.
Two very different resorts, think Lagos has everything, georgeous beaches, nice town, good restaurants and nightlife if you want it. Sunny Beach is a purpose built resort, as i believe the other main resorts are. I used to think it was great for a beach holiday. Lots of hotels on the beachfront or nearby, lovely beach with safe swimming - no tides and gently shelving with life guards every few yards where you could buy water other drinks and people selling snacks, ice creams, bars and restaurants on the beach. Totally geared up for a beach holiday. Was very cheap but i have found prices in lagos very reasonable.
If we can find flights that are not too expensive we are looking at going to Bulgaria early September to a smaller resort, then back to Lagos in Feb for OHs 50th.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.