Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
There has been a legal requirement for 'No Smoking' areas in Bulgarian clubs, bars, restaurants and other public places since the beginning of 2005, two years before the country's EU accession. As with most legislation which they find unpalatable, Bulgarians have a tendency to ignore it wherever possible.

The last attempt to introduce a full ban (in 2007) was not successful - see this Sofia Echo article. There is proposed legislation which is intended for enactment in June 2010, according to Solicitor Bulgaria.

Baldur
THIS article indicates there's no uniformity with regards the smoking bans across the EU.

Peter
If only....everywhere is smokey in Bulgaria. You just can't escape from it. Although, Hunters restaurant in Borovets is smoke free :)
If only the Bulgarian Chancellor would put up taxes on tobacco products, they could cut smoking related deaths and diseases, and spend the savings on better tourist facilities and a cleaner environment thus making it more attractive to other EU tourists with money to spend- what I would call a virtuous circle!
If only the Bulgarian Chancellor would put up taxes on tobacco products.....

The Finance Minister has increased excise duty on tobacco products significantly every year since 2006 - see this Standart report for the current state of play.

Baldur
Well, from that report it seems that the poor chap has his hands tied by the EU bureaucrats, who inexplicably only want smaller less frequent increases so that by 2012 a package of common cigarettes will cost 4 levs. What are they doing?
I realise that this may be expensive in relation to local incomes.

The increases made to date are already very expensive on a percentage basis and far above the local inflation rate. The average middle-class income (e.g. teacher/bank employee, etc.) is around 300 Lv to 350Lv per month, with many pensioners from those employment categories receiving just over 100Lv per month.

In 2005/6 the median price of a packet of 20 cigarettes was around 1.60Lv (€0.80), it's now around 3.30Lv (€1.65), with the proposal to increase the cheapest, not the median price, (currently around 2.70Lv or €1.35) to 4Lv (€2.00) by 2012.

....it seems that the poor chap has his hands tied by the EU bureaucrats

The EU are actually generally seen as 'the bad guys' in this scenario by the local population, as the EU bureaucrats are perceived as the ones who are forcing the disproportionate increases.

But isn't that the whole idea???
It should be, yes, but it depends on whose side you're on as to whether that's a good idea.
If it were me I would ban the lot and lock up anyone who smoked.
:rage
I believe I am entitled to my opinion, as you are to yours.

For too long, this world has been polluted in the name of freedom, tobacco smoke included. In what way is the world bettered by continuing to allow our air to be poisoned, people to develop life-threatening illnesses, innocent bystanders to have their health compromised, hospitals to become over-stretched with smoking-related cases, and international purveyors of their insidious and pernicious cash-generators to prosper by, among other things, targetting the more vulnerable members of our society including young people?
Ok I think we should agree to disagree.

Lets leave it there please.

Kath
If someone was to come up with any other activity in the UK that killed 2,000 people every week, I feel sure that it would be banned, & I agree with polo48, no body on the planet that wishes not to smoke, shoul be subject to passive smoking.

Yes I have a drink, put I don't pour it down other peoples throats.

Gary
If this continues. then there will be no alternative but to lock the topic.

Its a holiday forum, please keep it that way!

Admin
As I started the thread with
Surely now Bulgaria is in the E U smoking should be banned in public places?

I can't really see a problem with reminding people that smoking is not only killing smokers but also many thousands of none smokers

Smoking kills approximately 4.5 Million a year world wide

Which is why I believe that smoking should be banned in public places

If I have broken a forum rule, please could you enlighten me as to which one?

Some times the truth does hurt, especially if you are a smoker

It beggars belief how people try to defend such an addiction

Gary
Well said Garyjs. :clap
While I can understand the time it takes to break a habit, or to become educated about this topic, or to change a custom, I find it less easy to accept that, for example, people can and do still smoke in train corridors, and even the guards walk past and ignore it even though it is banned. This selective attitude to law abiding is also evident in the way speed limits are habitually broken - to take just one common example.
Although many other countries suffer from similar disregards, Bulgaria is to my mind, one of the worst offenders, though it has many other positive qualities as a country.
Holiday Truths is about holidays, and this forum is about Bulgaria.

If you don't like smoking, don't go to Bulgaria. It is a free country and its people have a long history of resistance to oppressive rule. They withstood what they call the Turkish Yoke for six hundred years and still kept their identity as Bulgarians retaining both religion and language, so they will as Baldur points out be less than obedient with respect to a smoking ban.
There has been a legal requirement for 'No Smoking' areas in Bulgarian clubs, bars, restaurants and other public places since the beginning of 2005, two years before the country's EU accession. As with most legislation which they find unpalatable, Bulgarians have a tendency to ignore it wherever possible.

A greater percentage of the population smoke than in the UK, and with regards to tourism low tobacco prices and a relaxed attitude to smoking restrictions attracts tourists who smoke.

This is the reality of Bulgaria, don't go there if you have a bee in your bonnet about smoking.

Peter
So, Peter, if you don't like one particular aspect of any country in the world, your advice is - don't go there. That's an interesting formula to apply. Maybe I'll stay in my padded cell instead. :think
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.