Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Public Loo's?
23 Posts
No there isnt -- public toilets are not to be found on Mallorca --Its not a problem going into a bar/cafes -- just be polite and say hola and gracias
When I was in palma nova there was a public toilet for dogs. I couldn't believe it.
Thanks for letting me know :tup ,I just got curious because I went to Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands in 1998 and they had public loo's and thought that Majorca would have some by now.
Thanks tofog68 :wave
It depends where you are - there are some public toilets, and obviously most big stores have them, but please, please if you are going to use the toilets of a Bar or Restaurant, please ask first.

People keep telling me that anyone is entitled to use the toilets in a Bar, I don't know whether that's true or not - I certainly will not allow some drunk, who has had a skinful elsewhere to come into my Bar, use my facilities, water, soap, toilet paper, had towel and occasionally throw up on my floor. I don't care what the law says - he can come back later with his Lawyer and argue the case - he simply ain't coming in.

We have never refused our toilet facilities to people who ask first, but I get intensely annoyed by people (normally British) who walk past you on their way to your bathroom as if you don't exist, and without the courtesy of asking first.

I know several Bar owners who've taken a stand on this, and one in particular who came to blows with one exceptionally arrogant individual.

I'll now put my Soap Box away.

Cheers
Goodfellow its entirely upto you who you allow to use the toilet at your bar. Because over here they walk into a pub and use a loo they think its the law. In fact you could put up sign saying non clientel wanting to use the toilet is 1 euro. I bet when they see the sign they will go else where.

The dogs loo is at the back of sol tordos/mirlos, just in case somebody thought I was joking. I still find it funny.
I'm extremely embarrassed about walking into a bar or restaurant just to use the toilet. I'd much rather sit down order a drink and then use the toilet. :oops:
In the Algarve last year we had my parents with us and mam 'needs to go when she needs to go' we were about to enter a restaurant during the day when the waiter informed us they were, infact closed. I asked if mam could use the toilet and he smiled and said 'yes yes no problem' which we thought was really kind of him.
""I'd much rather sit down order a drink and then use the toilet""

This is the way the Spanish do it
There are public Loos in Santa Ponsa right on the beach and at Paguera too, but they are unusual to find in resorts. Personally i think its a poor do that the majorcans cannot provide public conveniences for visitors,they sure make enough money off us throughout the year!!Its a dear do having to buy a drink in order to use a cafe loo....and defeats the object...15 mins later you will probably need to go again!Come on wake up majorca...21st century...we need Loos!!! :oops:
When we were in Can Picafort last year we noticed some bars beside the harbour were charging non customers for using the toilets. 1 euro I think.
This wasn't compulsory, just a sign stating the fact with a bucket beside it for the money. Personally I would feel happier buying a drink, haveing a seat for a wee while and then use the faciilities but when you have children in tow this isn't always the way. My kids always wait until they are 'bursting' and it's a dash for the nearest loo but I do ask and then make some kind of purchase.
We visited Inca this year whilst holidaying in Majorca and sat and had a meal at one of the bars, I was gutted when I went to use the loo and they were out of order as I find it frustrating that there aren't any public loo's. We ended up finding another bar and buying ice-creams so I could use their loo.

A few years ago we went to Cyprus and spent quite a few evenings having drinks at one particular bar, the owner was really pleasant and friendly to us until one evening we were on our way back from an evening stroll and my Son suddenly needed the loo, he popped into this particular bar thinking they wouldn't mind but boy did she have a go at us for all and sundry to hear :shock: I guess we should have asked and have surely learned our lesson from it :D
I think some of you are missing the point here - it is not about money - it is about courtesy.

We never refuse people the chance to use our toilets, if they ask, and they are sober. It irritates us considerably when people walk in, as if it is a public convenience (pun intended) and neither ask on the way in, nor say thank you on the way out.

Can't think of a username - Not trying to be clever, but how exactly are we supposed to police the use of our toilets? Should we have someone outside asking for proof of purchase? It doesn't work, nor does charging. We had a notice up in our first year, saying for the use of customers only, and non-customers should pay, but the people with no manners, simply ignore it. It will be the same type of people who park in Disabled Parking spaces, who push in cues, etc etc - there is no solution to pig ignorance.

We occasionally embarrass them, by making sarcastic comments, but the truth is that they are unlikely to use our toilets again anyway, so it's a waste of time, and can occasionally turn into a scene, which is what happened in a Restaurant across from us, and ended in a fight between the idiot "non customer" and the waiter.

I'm sure we get loads of people who come in and buy a drink only to use the toilet, and of course we welcome their custom, but we (and I suspect) most other bars, have no problem with allowing use of our toilets to polite and courteous people.

That's the end of this weeks sermon. :roll:

Cheers

Adam
it is about courtesy.

I guess we should have asked and have surely learned our lesson from it

I get your point Adam, and as Hubby and I run a small buisness, I too wouldn't appreciate people coming in off the street to use the loo without asking.

Regards
Shell :)
Personally if i want to use the facilities I buy a coke...end up wanting to go again shortly after grrrrr..maybe its a conspiracy hmmm.Seriously, as I said before, there should be public conveniences in the bigger resorts at least!! The economy thrives off us visitors and it isnt much to expect is it ???? :roll:
I would have thought that the provision of public loos is a public health issue?
On Menorca, we were told by the rep to leave about 50 cents on the counter & say thanks when leaving if we ever had to do it. Not sure if it still applies, it was about 6 years ago now, but even the beach loos there cost money to use. You don't mind paying if everyone else is, but on one particular one, they didn't have any paper or soap so you wonder where this money was going!
I would have thought that the provision of public loos is a public health issue?

Why. It's not in the UK. In Fife, most of the public loos are either closed at 5 p.m. Or have been sold off, or demolished.

The toilets along the beach in St Andrews are closed from 01 October till Easter every year.

All the pubs and cafes in St Andrews also display signs saying the loos are for customers use only.

Remember its not just foreign lands that dont supply facilities
Nice post Lazy Binman. Spot on.

I wanted to post something similar, but didn't want to appear mean.

Thriving economy? Don't know where you get that idea from, Lancslass. We don't pay local tax, other than for bin collection. Just like in UK the local authority have the say as to how they spend their money.

It seems always to have been the way here in Spain that people use the toilets of the bars and Restaurants, I stress again it's not a problem, you just need to ask.

Why build Public toilets, with the cost of maintenance, security etc etc just because people don't have the common sense to use the facilities in their Hotel before they leave, or to use the toilets at the bar / Restaurant where they eat or drink, or to have the common decency to use another facility, but to ask first.

Am I missing something here? :bhead

Cheers

Adam
Eight million vistitors per year to Majorca, someone must be making some dosh out of them!.We want public Loos!I just pray I never get Delhi belly over there!! :shock:
We have just returned from Cala Millor and my husband walked for 20 minutes looking for a public toilet for our 3½ year old to use. It was amazing that she held on so long! In the end he asked a lifeguard on the beach where the nearest public loo was and was told to use the nearest bar. He ended up buying them both a drink just to save face. The worst bit was after the walk back, she wanted to go again!

Sarah :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.