Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hi Shortty,

I can only give you our personal opinion, which is Turkey wins hands down. Although we had a good holiday in Sunny beach a few years ago, I can't say I was impressed with the resort. It was just too British for us with the added extra of lots of tacky designer gear in every other shop. The price of food and drinks were very cheap which was a good thing. We went for a fortnight in August but it wasn't wall to wall sunshine.

We preferred Turkey as it had more of an atmosphere, didn't see any beggars, had lovely traditional food at reasonable prices and the weather was Hot! Hot! Hot! We also thought the scenery was nicer.

Each to their own but that's just our opinion.
I've never been to Bulgaria but have holidayed in Turkey, and LOVED IT!!!
I have been to both and whilst I enjoyed Bulgaria for the week we were there I wouldnt go back.
We stayed at Nessebur which was lovely but is a short distance away is Sunny beach and it was very tacky.
I would say go to Turkey although I am biased as I go 2-3 times a year. :sun2
We usually go to Cyprus or Tenerife - but the Euro is not good

That also affects Bulgaria because the Lev is pegged to the Euro.

It's a matter of personal choice, Bulgaria can be hot late August/September but the weather is past it's best. I'd call it very warm with the possibility of rain in September.

I wouldn't judge Bulgaria by Sunny Beach, but the Golden Sands area can be a devil to get to nowadays with few flights going to Varna.

I don't get the comment about "Lots of tacky designer gear in every other shop", because that's a perfect description of my experience of Turkey!

Peter
We have gone to Sunny Beach for the last 6 years, but this year off to Turkey. We felt it has now gone more towards the club 18-30 market, which is fine if you are looking for that type of holiday but not the kind of holiday i want. Although i have never been to Turkey, i have been given good assurance by lots of people, as well as good websites like this one that Turkey is the place to go for good weather and reasonable prices. But it really is down to personal preference where you go. I'm sure you will enjoy yourself wherever you decide to holiday.
Hi, also been to both, although not sunny beach but Albena, thought it was very nice for a week but prefer Turkey for my main summer holiday.
been to both sunny beach 5 times and turkey twice once to marmaris and once to alanya must say we love both but bulgaria just wins (beer prices )you can get some cheap bars about 50p a pint you pay more in resturants but thats pretty standard the only thing you pay more for is the cider strongbow was £3 a pint the people are lovely you make friends with them and they will be your friend forever i have a few friends over there now if i could i would holiday there every year but there is so many places to visit might go back next year wanted to go back this year but its our silver wedding in may and we are off to egypt if ya have any more questions pm me and i will do all i can to help xx
I have to agree with topof the tower, the Bulgarians are much friendlier than the Turks. Bulgaria wins hands down for me. The wonderful, kind and genuine Bulgarian friends I have made over many years will remain friends for ever. We are in touch all the year round.
Been to Sunny Beach and Marmaris, enjoyed both. If I had to choose between them I'd go for Sunny Beach.
Weather at the end of August has been great the last couple of years.
Sunny Beach is definetly not a "british" resort. Lots of Scandanavians, Russians, other eastern Europeans, Germans, Israelis, a huge mixture.

Its good for eating out, check on this site, and you'll find a lot of good advice about where to go.
Sunny Beach is definetly not a "british" resort. Lots of Scandanavians, Russians, other eastern Europeans, Germans, Israelis, a huge mixture.

No resort in Bulgaria is or ever was "British", and thank goodness for that.

We've been to Marmaris and Ichmeler, but it's Golden Sands and St Konstantin we have returned to year after year because of the friendliness and kindness of so many of the Bulgarians we have met.

Peter
Hi I have been to both Turkey and Bulgaria and I have to agree with the people who say Turkey wins hands down. The weather in Turkey is better and I think the people are a lot more friendly but that is my opinion. We went to Golden Sands on the 19th September and we had three nice days 2 days of cloud and cold and 2 days of absolute terrible weather, rain, wind and freezing, in fact the last night of our holidays we could not go out because the weather was that bad. Last year we went to Turkey on the 1st of October and it was in the 30s every day and we did not even need a cardi on the night.
10 of us went to bulgaria in 2005 and did not have a good experience
6 of us were very very sick and spent a good few days in the hotel
the bulgarian people were very nice but we just did not like the place at all and would not go back even if it was free
we did 4 trips to cyprus that we loved and are now heading for our third trip to turkey
i am amazed at the amount of people rate a place just because the food and beer is cheap
for us it is the whole package that makes a great holiday
out of turkey v bulgaria then turkey wins for us hands down
every one has there own opinion about all holiday resorts But i have been going to Bulgaria since 1994 and there are lots of lovely places to visit and the people are very polite and friendly Going back again this year as we have made many friends . :cheers June
I do not rate Bulgaria because its cheap. I drink very little & do not smoke but far prefer Bulgaria to Turkey and have very good friends in both countries. The Bulgarian people always seem so much friendlier & trusting.

I've lost count of the number of times I've visited, first visit 1989 often for a month at a time twice a year, regretfully mobility problems prevent me from visiting now. Still in contact with friends made on my first visit.

Patka
I much prefer Bulgaria to Turkey too. The Bulgarians are genuine friendly people and as Patka has just stated you have good friends that we've known many years.
Sorry to read that mobility prevents you from visiting Bulgaria these days Patka, I thought you were still a regular visitor. Take carexxx
Bulgaria for me too, going back in 10 days time for my 25th visit, I am a non smoker, just one red wine with my evening meal in Bulgaria and thats it, I have always found plenty to do, I use the local buses and trains, plus walking, I do believe a lot of the tummy trouble is caused my massive eating in mornings at breakfast and c**p served up by the well known Fast Food (if you can call it that) Outlets. Tonyt.
Kadarka red wine is well-known for having a laxative effect.

Many problems are caused by over-indulgence in alcoholic beverages, but it's usually the food that gets blamed.

A good cure is Bulgarian yoghurt with honey for breakfast.

Patka
Like Patka and Tony i think Bulgaria is a great place when you make friends with Bulgarians they are your friend for life I am a none drinker also But love going to all the diffrent places with intrest to them and it is a great day out .Sorry to hear of your illness Patka take care .And Tony have a great ho;iday when you go :wave: JUNE
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.