Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
I'd hold out a little bit safe in the knowledge that you won't have any problems getting a room.

There's a bit of a Thai tete-a-tete (sp?!) about whether to discount rooms or to hold prices to help recovery (the argument which I favour is that Thai hotel prices are low enough already - big discounts won't massively encourage masses of new arrivals and it could take years to bring prices back up).

Anyway - 2 hotels I really like in Bangkok that are relatively new - and thus decently priced - Ariyasomvilla - small and lovely, and the Anantara Baan Rajprasong - spent 4 nights there - very good value, well located, great views, and very quiet (also was in the midst of the recent problems). Probably the quietest central Bangkok hotel i've stayed at!

Not a big fan of the Khao San Area - although i've been back for beers, havn't stayed there since I was a a backpacker.
We usually only book our Bangkok hotel days before arriving anyway, working on the basis you're always likely to find a room when not arriving peak season. Plus we use sites like latestays.com or deal with the hotels direct (backfired with the Navalai but you can't win them all). Always have something booked before arriving as we can't be bothered dragging around to find a room though.

Not sure I agree with Sams price argument as a punter. Thai hotels are getting expensive - exchange rates for the pound not helping - have to have a good hunt round to get VFM these days.
Yes I agree Sunbear , I think the prices are increasing steadily every year , I remember the good old days , we stayed in the Landmark Deluxe room for £38 per room per night back in year 2000 :really
Thanks for the recommendations Sam , will definitely take a look at those, I think you are both right, there is no rush to book anything as yet.
Khaosan, well I just love the Soi Rambuttri area so much , it reminds me of a little vilage within Bangkok, if that makes sense, the hotels aren't great in that area though , I like the atmosphere in that area , I am quite a fan of Sukhumvit area too, around soi 4 - 5 quite a few restaurants I like there ;)
£100 pounds for three nights B&B in a suite at Lebua was my best Bangkok deal (mind you it wasn't called Lebua then, Meritus State Tower) and the place wasn't quite finished.

I've not been (they screwed up my booking) but the Navalai looks a nice hotel near Khao San - on the river.
Navalai looks interesting - will check that out at some point. I also stayed at the Meritus State before it became the Lebua - when I was there one of the lifts had a flip out and left loads of people stuck (there were only about 2 lifts if I remember!) and had a freak out about how dangerous the balconies were for families (they later locked the doors to the balconies shut!).

Yeh - agreed for us that seeing the exchange rate drop from 67 - 46 has obviously inflated our buying power - but not the baht received by the hotels. £38 for a Deluxe Landmark Room, £33 for the Meritus, cutting rates by 50% by the Thai Hotels will only start a price war without bringing in that many more guests. Tactical offers are the way forward... i've seen a few coming through now... some good ones from the Banyan Tree Bangkok.. the Amari's etc... so I think you'll see a few Stay 2 Pay 1, Stay 3 pay 2 etc upto October. For November, hold out!
Tactical offers are the way forward... i've seen a few coming through now... some good ones from the Banyan Tree Bangkok.. the Amari's etc... so I think you'll see a few Stay 2 Pay 1, Stay 3 pay 2 etc upto October. For November, hold out!

I heard that Thai airways were taking an aggressive marketing stance by trying to renegotiate hotel prices to include them in Thai holiday packages, especially in Phuket.
Don't negotiate, get dropped from the brochure etc...
The hotels are arguing that Thai have just raised their ticket prices by about 30% so are trying to hold their own profits while decreasing everybody elses....
We've stayed a couple of times here http://www.viengtai.co.th/en/

One double room in March last year - B & B was £37 - I booked through Asia Rooms.
Thanks Betty, I have seen that hotel and the position is fab :tup
Chriss wrote:
I heard that Thai airways were taking an aggressive marketing stance by trying to renegotiate hotel prices to include them in Thai holiday packages, especially in Phuket.
Don't negotiate, get dropped from the brochure etc...
The hotels are arguing that Thai have just raised their ticket prices by about 30% so are trying to hold their own profits while decreasing everybody elses....

Although I havn't heard that it would make complete sense. Although Royal Orchid Holidays are not as strong as say, Singapore Airlines Stopovers, Emirates, BA or Qantas holidays, they could yield a lot of strength.

[rantmode] And yet Thai have just bumped up their Fuel Surcharges from 01 June - a whopping £275 per person in taxes and fuel surcharges for a simple return to Bangkok - over £350, even £400+ for destinations further afield. That compares to £160 on EVA Air or about £80 on Emirates. And without seat back TV's, all Thai can really compete on is price and route network. With a practical monopoly on some routes, I saw they are charging £275 return on Bangkok - Krabi returns. I hope that's a glitch!

Hotels i've spoken to in Thailand are just forgetting about travel now until November. One e-mail finished with (when asked how she is) "I am now so so but maybe die if Thailand still quiet"¦"¦..ha ha ha"¦..no money, no food, no life"¦.." :(

I think Thai's are now realising what an impact recent events will have on many of their lives...

Anyway [/rantmode]
I have seen a website for some suites called Phachara suites on soi 6 Sukhumvit , they seem quite modern with good facilities and a re newly opened , rates seem ok, a studio for 2 four nights with breakfast , internet access etc and a 1 way airport transfer 11600 baht .....
I have booked the Phachara suites direct and it is even cheaper ....8700 baht for 2 with buffet breakfast and 1 way airport transfer for 4 nights :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.