Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
We are going to Rome for a nice break on 1st October..but don't know where to stay..I have looked up loads of hotels..but the reviews I have found belong to a well known other site where all they do is slag everything and everyone off....so I was hoping I could pick the brains of everyone on here.. :)

Please could someone recommend a 4* ( or a very good 3) in Rome..needs to be in the thick of it so to speak...so it is not too fa to get to all the attractions etc. Me and Rob plan on visiting all the famous ones.. Some friends of ours are coming too and they are quite fussy so we would like to find somewhere nice for them to stay. The male friend has been to Rome before and actually sang at the Vatican eons ago, but my mate Christine has never been...so since this break is being organised by us we want to start in good accomodation.

Flying from Newcastle on 1 October and staying for 3 nights.

Many thanks for all your help.
We stayed here Val . Good location but it looks a bit pricey now .

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187791-d556708-Reviews-Residenza_Arco_dei_Tolomei-Rome_Lazio.html

We wanted to stay here but they didnt have a room http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187791-d664220-Reviews-Residenza_Santa_Maria-Rome_Lazio.html

Again Can't believe the prices now

I would say anything near to the colessuem would be a good location choice if you like your history . .Area around piazza novana/phanteon for eating & ambience . That's where I would choose next time if I could find something at a good price .

"2nd time we went was with the boys and I can't even remember the name of the hotel but it was near Termini station along via Nationale. It is a cheaper end but a fair slap uphill and I wouldnt stay in that part again .

if you want shopping somewhere near the spanish steps but again that's a fair walk from the historic part of Rome and it's really busy . wasnt keen on that part.

On reflection You tend to walk for miles around rome without giving it too much thought but everything is within walking distance really . We even walked to the Vatican although by the time I got there I was already on my last legs and wasnt prepared for the amount of walking once there so it would probably be better to get the metro and save your enegy for the vatican itself.

Good luck with the search Val. The TA list is always a good place to start though. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g187791-Rome_Lazio-Hotels.html I usually work down the list picking out anything that looks within my budget . Their "check rates" facility is a godsend.

Sorry mods hope you don't mind me posting links to the enemy. It was just easier for me to find what I was looking for . :(

lyn
Ta muchly Lyn..I have been eyeing up 2 hotels rayt near to the Collaseaum..and one near to the Trevi Fountain.

The prices seem quite reasonable on them and of course I want to be in the thick of it. Walking around up hills and down steps doesnt really bother me..but I accept that our friends may not be so enthusiastic!
Yep Trevi fountain area would be good too Val :)
We stayed at the first link I gave you in pre-recession times . Obviously I was feeling a little more flush then . :rofl I wouldnt pay that now and I don't really think you need to . There are plenty of nice hotels/B&bs in the thick of things at a half decent price .
We're hoping to visit Rome for a couple of days in October...to see the sights!
Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced central hotel? Would like to have breakfast provided but am easy after that.
http://www.hotelapollorome.com/

Central enough without being expensive and breakfasts on the roof to die for.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.