Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Myself, husband and two teenage daughters are going to Rome over the Christmas weekend. Apart from the obvious, which is to go to church which the others don't seem too keen on, has anyone got any ideas of what to do, especially on Christmas day itself?
Hi

have found a shuttle from the Campino ( well something like that ) airport to 60 euros for 6 people, anyone comment on if this is a good deal ?

also, , are there any cheap designer outlets like we have in the UK or any good flea markets one could recommend ?

thanks
Terravision coach from the airport to Termini. €8 each = €48.

Takes about 30 mins.
Hi all,

This will be the first time in around 10years i have been on a holiday, so i want to try to get the itinerary right.

I'm looking to travel to Rome for 5 days and have a general idea of places to visit, e.g. colliseum and piazza novona etc.

My main problem is not knowing enough places to visit, how to get there, i.e. prices and times for trains or buses, where to prebook visits, and most importantly, where to eat!!. Also, does anyone know of where i could prebook an opera concert?

I was hoping whether anybody could possibly outline a 5 day itnierary for me and could also help me with my problems above.

Kind regards
No need to plan an itinerary if you are going for 5 days. Most of the main tourist attractions in central Rome can be covered on foot, as long as you're prepared for a bit of walking. We've been to Rome 3 times & have yet to use any form of public transport.

2 days on the go should get you round the majority of the sights, even allowing for a bit of a queue at the Colloseum. The Vatican, especially including the Sistine Chapel & the museums, would take pretty much a day on it's own too. The catacombs would also take the best part of a day.

Sorry, can't help re: opera.

Hope this helps.
Hello PINK07, some of the sites below may be a help to you.

http://www.romaturismo.com

http://www.enjoyrome.com

For tickets try this.

http://www.hellotickets.it

and to see whats on in Rome try.

http://www.romance.it

http://www.romaturismo.it

As with all places we visit, we always get a guide book even a £5.00 small one gives lots of ideas, and again it all depends on what you want to see but I am sure there will be lots there to fill 5 days.
Hope this is a help,
Dave
Hi
We are hoping to have 3 days in rome next april.
I will be travelling with my teenage daughter.
This is our first trip and searching for accomodation has proved difficult.
There are plenty of places to stay but...........
1.Which area is central??
2.Which area is safe at night time??
3.Any reccomendations for cheapish accomodation??

Thanks
Hi Debs,

For somewhere to stay, I guess it all depends on what you want to see. Get a map, look at the places you intend to visit and maybe then pick an area.

I felt safe at night, even when it was quite late, there always seemed to be someone around. Before we went, the advice I read for areas to avoid was usually around the Termini station and Quartieri Spagnoli. As with all big cities, wear your bag crossways, put nothing of value in your pockets and keep your wits about you when walking around for pickpockets etc. The Trastevere is a very touristy area so you may feel safer there if it's just the too of you. We stayed in one of the streets off the Via Nationale and were happy with that location.

Rome is beautiful and I simply enjoyed walking around as you could walk down a side street and it would open up onto a lovely piazza.
Have a great trip!
Hello debs81,
I was going to put about our trip to Rome on here, so I will still put a report and it may give you some idea's as well.
Prices for this trip are in November so may not be the same when you go.
We got our flights with Easyjet from East Midlands airport booked well in front and got them for £51.00 each.

http://www.easyjet.com

Our hotel was booked through Expedia and our hotel was the 4* Atlante Garden Hotel, this was just round the corner from the Vatican about a five minutes walk, it is a good base to see the site of Rome so good we never had to use puplic transport at all. The hotel is a nice city hotel, clean rooms/ English speeking staff/and even a jacuzzi bath. The price we paid for this was very good it should have been £81.30 a room but we got it for £60.97 per night for two with breakfast. if you look on this site there are lots of hotels for Rome and at all prices and they have maps to show you were they are.

http://www.expedia.co.uk

Last of all we used Rome shuttle limousines for our taxi to and from the airport, we got them of this link and very good they were I would recomend them to any one, first class service and spot on time ( in our case) they charge 35 euros each way.

http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com

Dave
Hi
Thanks for info.
Am waiting for Easyjet flights for April appear on website, then will price hotels.
The limo service is a good price - the lowest I had found was 50 euro's.
Hi Debs .I can also recommend Rome shuttle limos. We used them in October . they were waiting for us at the airport and picked us up for our return on time despite our B+B being in a difficult place to find. Our driver took it all in his stride consulting his map for ways around the back streets of Trastevere with numerous no entries. most reviews for our B+B said to ask taxi drivers to drop you at the nearest piazza and walk but our driver found his way and even got out and walked the last distance to check he had found it correctly. great service and excellent price.

lyn
hello,
has anyone been to eurostar international hotel,rome, as me and the wife are visiting rome for the first time and wondered what it was like, and what is the best way to get into the city centre from campiano airport.
Is there anything you would recommend doing whilst we are there for three nights. :lol:
Many thanks in advance
What's wrong with Rome?! :que No posts here since 2007??
Anyway, we're going in January and I was wondering if anyone has made any trips out of the city that they would recommend?
We've been to Rome before and I'm sure there will be enough to keep us busy but just thinking a day on a bus or something might rest our weary feet!
(or of course any less known things to see & do in Rome) ;)
Thx Lynn for that 1 & only reply!
Ostia looks very impressive and we may visit there.
It is a real shame that this city break section doesnt get more posts as I'm sure there are a fair few of us that enjoy our city breaks as well as our sunny holidays . I always have to go over to the competition at TA for those . :(

There are some more topics on Rome in the Italian forum TM . Heres one that also doesnt seem to have been used since 2008 http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15533
We had a really good day at Ostia antica and so easy to get to that I cant understand why more visitors to rome dont go there.
Thx again :tup
Yes it is strange there's not more posts. If anything you need more info about cities than other destinations.
I keep meaning to check out TA 2 so thanks for reminding me!
Hi hoping to revive this thread :)

My friend is heading round tonight and we plan to book a 5 day break early July - really excited!

Found a good sounding hotel on Expedia and flights from London Gatwick (not happy with that as we are from the Midlands but nowt from Brum/East Mids direct so Gatwick it is (but not the 6am flight!)

Expedia are offering me minibus shuttle transfer from the airport to the hotel for £13.50 each way per person but this is one of those shared minibus jobs. Dont really want to pay for a taxi as there are only 2 of us but from what I can see the express train is 11e so not much difference and maybe less hassle than train then trying to find the hotel with luggage.

I will look at the Rome shuttle websites. When I went to Prague we pre booked a transfer to our apartment and it was so nice.

Once booked Il start looking at pre booking tours and trying to find out if there are any veggie restaurants in Rome as Im vegan and my friend is vegetarian, had originally planned to book an apartment but this flight and 4 star hotel for £360 seems very good.

Just hope it is still available by the time my friend gets here to book!

Oh and that volcano had better behave!!!
Just to update have now booked Rome :) going 3 weeks next Monday - so excited!

Booked through Expedia - had some stress over the booking but Expedia were £100 cheaper each.

Going to book the Rome Shuttle service I think as Im told return train ticket is 28 euro each and Rome shuttle is 40 euros in and if book both 35 euro back - less hassle in the heat me thinks!

Staying in a new 4 star hotel the IQ Roma Hotel looks in a good location, got an airport hotel booked at Gatwick night before as its 4 hours there, need to sort parking next.

So loking forward to this break!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.