Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
from what ive been told in the past the majestic is a great hotel, as regards tipping, its about the same as the uk so do what you would expect to do here, the only difference is that italians are usually more laid back than us so they wont get so surly if you dont tip at the right time like here!
Thank you for your reply jessop. :)
Does anyone know a really good restaurant in Rome? I'm taking my good lady there for her birthday soon and would like to spoil her a bit and take her for a slap up meal at a really nice restaurant. Any suggestions?
pierre, just go out look around and find a place which looks nice to you, you will be very hard pressed to find a bad resturant in rome.
Just avoid eating any where near the vatican as the few bad places are around here.
also if you choose somewhere in or around piazza navona, expect to pay top dollar!
As Jessop says, you'll find some simply great places to eat just by wandering around. It's always a good idea to see where the locals eat too.

If I could remember the name I'd recommend one we found but we just came across it walking up one of the side streets looking for somewhere to eat at lunchtime - it was so nice that we went back the following evening for a slap up dinner.
Sorry, I have already posted this under Italy - didnt realise there was a City section !

Can anyone recommend good, reasonably priced restaurants in Rome? Staying 10 mins walk City side of Termini station close to Via Nazionale/Piazza della Republica.

Thank you
Had a weekend break in Rome from 4-6 March.

Arrived mid morning from Stansted [flying Ryanair] and transferred to the Hotel Ottocento [on a quiet side street between the Via Veneto and Via Sistina
http://www.albergottocento.it/
http://ottocento.hotel-roma.net/

Hotel was fantastic and received an upgrade to a junior suite so room was pleasant and good value for money. A simple contintental breakfast both mornings was very good. Will definitely stay there again if heading back to Rome.

After checking in, we headed out to see some of the central sites, walking the short distance from the hotel to the Spanish steps, onto the Piazza del Poppolo (not much to see there), onto the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon and the Piazza Navona. Had a [large] lunch at a small restaurant between the Via Del Corso and the Pantheon which was very good, but left us feeling too stuffed ! Cannt remember the name but was certainly good value for money.

Headed out in the evening for a few drinks and a meal, again at a small restaurant off a side street near to the hotel.

On the Sunday we headed over to the Collosseum and the Roman Forum, and did a little town wandering/ stopping for a coffee and ice cream. Collosseum queues lasted about 35 minutes (not ticket booths open at the Forum, which was free to enter. Price to enter was 11EU pp. Official tours offer to get you in every 10 mins to guided tours at a total of 22EU per person, but we didnt feel it necessary and were happy to queue a short while. Roman Forum was free by the way on Sunday.

Ate out at a very nice [and pricey, but worth it] restaurant on Via Veneto on Sunday night. Highly enjoyable. Via Veneto is probably the expensive city centre street, and we did end up paying circa £6 for a pint of Nastro in one bar along here one night. Didn't stop me from having more though!! :lol:

All in all however, Id have to say we struggled in Rome for restaurants, in that they werent what we expected. Id hoped for more little restaurants hidden away that looked really appealing, and didnt find any that really enticed us! Dont let that put anyone off however, where we did eat it was good. Many restaurants menus we found to be identical however, so not much variation.

On Monday we headed over to the Vatican City/ St Peters Basilica and took in all the sights. Breathtaking at times!

Monday afternoon was spent hammering the credit cards in CP Company and Prada Sport stores on Via Del Babbuino followed by some Coffee Ice creams before the late flight back to Stansted that evening!

All in all, we had an enjoyable 2 night (3 full days] break in Rome, but would have to say that it was enough time there. We visited all of the major sites [all walking] and felt that if we'd been there for more than maybe 3/4 nights, we'd have found there to be not enough to visit although would perhaps have spent more time in a few bars/ coffee bars.

Travel to and from Airport:

If you decide to catch the Terravision bus back to Ciampino Airport. the buses leave from the other side of the Stazioni Termini to where you'd think they'd leave. We spent a good 15/20 mins looking for the platform from which it might leave (as wed taken a private transfer to our hotel), before finding out it left from the side street to the north east side of the station. Hope someone benefits from that advice and doesnt give up wondering where the buses are. We had asked police/ other tourists and they hadn't a clue, pointing us in the direction of the train platforms and the street to the south west [Colloseum] side of the station.

Hope this is of some use
Paul
  • Edited by Northern 2006-03-19 20:41:22
the buses leave from the other side of the Stazioni Termini to where you'd think they'd leave. We spent a good 15/20 mins looking for the platform from which it might leave

Been there, fell for that. :roll:
We will only have 2 full days in Rome in July (was going to be 2½ but Easyjet have changed my flights and brought them forward by 6 hours). Can anyone advise on what are the "must sees" that we can cover (preferably on foot) in 2 days?

Helen
Allow yourself one full day for the Vatican/Sistine Chapel. Especially if you aren't staying in that area because it's not in the main tourist area.

Coliseum - 3 hrs
Forum - half a day
Victor Emanuel - 1 hr
Panthenon - 1hr
Spanish Steps - 5 minutes (sorry, wasn't impressed)
Trevi Fountain - 1hr
Tour Bus - 1hr 30 mins
Shopping in Del Corso and around the Steps - half a day

Mooching around soaking up the atmosphere - 1 week.

See my post further up the page for more detail.
Looking for advice about the best area to stay in .we are looking at a 4 day weekend in September for our wedding anniversary. Are we better off staying near the Vatican City and travelling around to see the rest of the sights or should we be looking to stay in the Historical area near the Trevi fountain,Spanish Steps etc and make it a special effort to do the Vatican.
Any recommendations would be gratefully recieved
bluwes - personally from when we went to Rome I'd say you've be better off making the Vatican city your 'trip', rather than the other sites.
We stayed in one of the streets off Via Nationale and found that a good base to explore the city on foot as it's one of the those places where you can come across lovely little fountains/squares etc.
We caught a taxi to the Vatican at 8.30am on the morning did our visit and then had a slow walk back, stopping off for something to eat.
All in all however, Id have to say we struggled in Rome for restaurants, in that they werent what we expected. Id hoped for more little restaurants hidden away that looked really appealing, and didnt find any that really enticed us!

Hey there northern, i must say you must of been really unlucky! I can honestly say that ive never had a problem trying to find somewhere to eat. I must say if you want plenty of great small restaurants then do go to trastevere, this area has loads of quality places to eat and its just a beautiful place to wander around. :wink:
Hey, me and a friend are going to Rome in late august- 26th to the 31st...
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Rome in this time?
We were reading today that Rome slows down during august and lots of places will be closed - is this true?
Hey guys, looking some information....where is a good place to stay in Rome?I'm thinking of taking a weekend break there with my girlfriend. We are looking somewhere that is easy to get to from the airport and close to the centre of rome, ie within walking distance of a metro etc.......oh and not too expensive lol :P
hi, i had a tip from a travel agent friend to google 'hotel connect' it lists lots of hotels,then i googled 'tripadvisor' for the hotel reviews before i decided on which hotel,its a real eye opener and definately worth looking at before you decide,i wish i'd done it before i made my first booking,i've changed our hotel twice as id found very bad reviews on both until i settled on the 3rd! I go this friday so fingers crossed! :lol:

Donna
Wiltord, we went to Rome about 4 years ago and stayed in the hotel Paris on Via Firenze, just off the Via Nationale (booked through BA as I was using airmiles). You can get the train from the airport to Termini station and then it's about a 10 min walk. There is a metro stop just around the corner and a bank for those safe ATM withdrawals (it's located inside). I know that some people say to avoid staying near the station but it's in a quite side street and honestly we felt quite safe. Plus the Via Nationale is one of the main streets so it's easy to get around the city.

It's only a 2 star hotel but the bedroom and bathroom were large for a city, plus it had an in-room safe and minibar. Although we didn't have a view it didn't matter to me as we only were in the room to sleep and shower. The breakfast is only basic continental so you might want to go RO but there are plenty of local bakeries to eat.

From that base we walked everywhere (pick up a map in the Termini station) with the exception of the Vatican city which we caught a taxi to.

Check some up to date reviews though as like I say it's 4 years since we've been there and a lot can happen in 4 years!
Anyway, hope that helps.
Hello,

I've booked to go to Rome over the forthcoming New Year. Does anyone have previous experience of the city at this time of year and have any good advice they can pass on??

Many Thanks, :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.