Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
do the chippy's do battered marsbars or is that just a midlands thing. :lol:
deep fried mars bars started north of the boarder.. they are an import to England
I cannot believe that my simple innocent request of, Is there a fish and chip shop in Ayia Napa? has prompted such venom from certain sources.

Thank you for all the positive replies by the way.

For the information of the snobbish amongst you I will not be eating fish and chips every day once once or twice as a change to Cypriot food which I love. I am holidaying with my 78 year old mother who enjoys the occasional bag of chips.

I am staying at the Olympic Lagoon Hotel which is a 4 star establishment and do not believe myself to be 'lower class' whatever that means as we are all born equal it is circumstances that make us what we are.

You should judge people as individuals not by a simple request.
Oh no i hope you're not on half board Glamourpuss!

Not only will you be a sinner for eating fish and chips but Jim and co will give you a right old battering for eating hotel food :roll: .

I think there's good and bad in ALL establishments so yes someone might have had a better meal in a hotel, chip shop or burger bar than in a Cypriot taverna. Personally i don't expect everyone from the UK to enjoy the same as me so while i'll happily recommend my favourites, i'll also leave people to enjoy theirs.
Well said Glamourpuss!

Can't speak for Ayia Napa, but I know there's a nice chippy in Protaras by the name of Mr Cod.
I LOVE Cyprus, but I also like English food....sorry but that's me.

Please respect each others opinions, and keep this topic friendly. :)
Kath HT Admin
you tell them glamourpuss,
i hope the snobs choke on their words, if you go in anatolia in protaras, what ever you order it's " jacket, rice, or chips."it's that busy you have to queue. so it must be lower class "i'm allright then " so you can have both your english and cypriot and eat it. (i won't mention the curry house or the chinky or this thread may get more emotional ) at the end of the day it's your holiday your decision and s*d them all.
Glamourpuss

Have some chips (and fish) for me, I'd love some right now. Bratwurst and thin french fries here in Germany don't quite do it for me.
Don`t know about Ayia Napa, but there`s a belter in Limassol.
First may I wish all the Mod's and members a very happy UK Easter Sunday, we have ours here next weekend, great time to be on Cyprus it is there biggest holiday here even over Christmas, every village competes with each other with huge firework displays, and lovely torch light processions near the old churches, if you have never been to Cyprus at Orthodox Easter then do try!!

quoat ''I cannot believe that my simple innocent request of, Is there a fish and chip shop in Ayia Napa? has prompted such venom from certain sources''

Who has been ''venomous'' ? if you cant have an opinion then what is the point of any discussion? :roll: as for food snobs well yes but who are they? personally I prefer the local working class food,( a Meze many small dishes of local cheap food ) it is wonderful and I think many coming here miss this, after all you will only be here for a couple of weeks it is us here that miss a decent curry or Chinese take away, and yes even good old fish and chips ...as for food snobs I wish I could afford to be one.. :P
http://www.hilton.co.uk/assets/HI/cms/live/huki/london/london_islington/images/size_h/food_beverage/MezePlatters_Islington_H.jpg

P.S I will get sun burnt queing for chips today it is a belter of a day!! :sun
These are Flaounes traditional sort of savoury/sweet bun ate in Cyprus at Easter..
http://www.imagesofcyprus.com/EN/albums/Culture/aeb.sized.jpg
jimbox you wicked devil, looking at that food i want it now, i've got 10 weeks to go before we can have that, and you do this to us. you've put me off my sunday dinner (no chips ), now i want a meze in the sun. hope you enjoy it. happy easter and don't get to sunburnt.
willy
Willy, get yourself down to Sainsburys or Tesco.
They both have leg of lamb on offer. Cook it slowly. Pretend it's Kleftico! :wink:

Mark
The weathers not to bad here , will have to get the bbq out , lots of lamb and pork , some home made shieftalia some houmous ,pitta bread and a bottle of island vines ( a cypriot wine from the coop) , not the same as being there but it will have to do as 20 odd weeks till i go
could do mark, but it's not the same also i need authentic cypriot chips and lashings of tomato sauce. and scoff it in the sun with my knotted hankie on my head. :lol:
We love Cypriot food - really we do - but we have been known to have Indian, Chinese & Mexican while there. Just varies things a bit. I've no problem with anyone eating anything they want when on holiday - my only problem is those who (while moaning about it being "too hot") dismiss it all as "foreign muck" and ask where the nearest McDonalds is so they could have some "proper food" (Yes - really heard a family say it).

My tip? Go to any taverna at lunch time - ask for a huge plate of chips and a range of Cyprus dips. They'll be happy to provide for you and you're getting the best of both worlds. Job's a good un.

And Cardiff Lad - I reckon loads of tavernas would gladly serve you a meze for one - especially if you wash it down with a couple of bottles of wine. Just ask! Cypriots hate to say no!

All the best,

Richie
I love my Cypriot food but have to admit I have been a tad disappointed with some of the stuff I have had at some of the Stereotypical local tavernas- food has been fairly poor in some cases and not cheap by any means. It's almost an attitude of "they are tourists they won't know any better". Perfect example was last week we stopped at a roadside Taverna on the road from Cape Greco to Ayia Napa, I forget the name, which looked very inviting as there was nothing else around. I had a Stifado ,which is one of my favourate dishes in the world, but God this was a let down. The meat was stringey and tough and the dish had hardly any flavour. My wife had a Salad and said the oil had an odd taste to it and my son's Tavas was overcooked. The only thing that was pleasant was the Houmas. And this isn't the only time we have been disappointed in local places and we have been 10 times so have had a lot of eating experiences . Don't get me wrong we have had some lovely stuff in small family run restaurants it just seems like these are getting to be the exception rather than the rule, the gorgeous food at local restaurants ideal is almost starting to be an urban myth.

I wouldn't be too quick to slate hotel food either , although I have been quilty of this in the past , we stayed at the Adams beach and the half board food there was outstanding ,no matter if it was local dishes or Italian, Chinese etc
crikey what a debate!

i'm loving it. can i just say that i tried dalmades and afelia last year with chips of course(ha ha) and it was absolutely gorgeous. be adventurous it wont harm you.

we said we wouldn't go to mcd's last year and went twice when we were drunk as skunks so each to their own and just enjoy your hols you save all year for it after all.

lindsay. x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.