Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
hi have you had a look through the resteraunt recomendations thread i think there are some there

wizard
Lime tree restaurant in not to be missed. Chaplins for British meals and some vegetarian. Just 3-4 doors along from Chaplins a very nice Indian with vegi options. There are buses to and from Lagos and Burgau from beside the church but they don't run at night. Lagos is only 2-3 miles away so taxis are not too expensive and there is a bigger choice of restaurants there. Luz is quiet but very nice. I think you will like it.
Hi,
We go to PDL quite often and for eating out i would reccomend the fortaleze which as is sounds an old fort, also the Atlantico is very nice.
I would disagree about the indian restaraunt i thought it was awful and we actually walked out the 5* indian chef was in fact a 19 yera old local lad who was not sure what a madras was! i kid you not.
As for moving around there are buses or taxis available and you should go to Lagos which is about 15 mins away where there is a lot to view as you walk about.

SB.
There is a new Indian restaurant in PDL(I cant remember the name) just 3/4 doors down from Chaplins. The Maharajah is the other one. The new one is very good IMHO, the other I agree with superbok. It shows how tastes differ. I think the Forteleza is a beautiful restaurant in a lovely position but the food is average and over priced. You pays your money and you takes your choice.
I am in PDL at the moment and I have just discovered a lovely vegi restaurant in Lagos. It is called Mentaspicata and it is in Rua Infante Sagres no99. It doesn't have table cloths and there is no alcohol served. It is very clean and the food is delicious. It only opens till 8pm so it is more a place for lunch. Meal of the day(choice of 2 dishes) 6.5 euros. Highly recommended
That's interesting, Brodev...will certainly try it providing we successfully make it to Lagos without a car!
Only a couple of weeks until we go, and really looking forward to some sunshine!

lanzafan
The good Indian restaurant I referred to earlier is called Pashmina
Lime Tree is very good.

We also enjoy The Dolphin for great steaks and fish - South African couple have run it for years.

If you go to a village called Espiche near Luz the Restaurant Fontenario is excellent as is Cachoa near the traffic lights coming out of Luz on the way to Lagos.
Only a couple of days to go! I wonder if anyone knows what the weather is like around Priaia da Luz at the moment or what the forecast is?
Today started off a little dull. My wife said she is sure she felt a drop of rain :que but the day turned out as normal :sun2
We go home on Tuesday morning so we will probably be ships that pass in the night. Enjoy your break. I'll be back at the end of next month.
Last day for me today. Off first thing tomorrow. The weather is beautiful with a very nice breeze.. We are going to Pashmina tonight for our last supper. I hope you enjoy your holiday lanzafan so much that you change your name to Pdlfan.
We have just booked a villa for a week in May next year and are already excited about it ( sad i know ). We are a family of 3 ( inc. a 6 year old girl). We intend to eat breakfast in the villa and eat out for the other meals. Why is he telling us all this I hear you ask. Well let me get to my point. It is my first time to the algarve and I would like to know if £560 will cover lunch and dinner for the 7 days where each of us will have 2 courses and 2 drinks. Any advise on this will be massively appreciated. Happy holidays for those yet to go.
Mark
I have more questions ( I'll probably have loads before we go ). What is the weather like end of May in PDL and how long does It take to get from Faro by car. Thankyou again,
Mark
i think you are asking the impossible :whoops no two people have the same appetites :que
but hope this helps we can spend 23 euros( £18 )for 2 on 4 courses including bottle wine or if we push the boat out 44 euros ( £32) for 7-8 courses, but you must look for the places the portuguese eat, these have the best food and the best prices.watch out for the "couvert" this is the bread, butter ,sardine paste etc offered at the start of your meal, state that you do not require this and you will not be charged otherwise you will be billed for this x 3 for you family.on the weather front usually good mid to high 70's but you might get one cloudy day you would be most unlucky if you get more.tavel from faro airport to PDL, again depending if you know the way , if you drive like the portuguese 45mins but say average time 1 hour 10 mins.
I would think the 3 of you would easily be able to eat lunch and dinner for that amount for 1 week, easy peasy in fact. Depends where you eat mind you and even more on what you drink ;)

Lummie
Well, we're back from a lovely week in Praia da Luz! It was our first visit to Portugal, and we are converts - couldn't believe how nice it was. We had a great apartment with sea views at St James's, and sunshine every day!

On the eating front, PDL is not cheap. Our favourite place was the Fortaleza, however, where they did the best vegetarian salad I've ever had, and the best chicken in pineapple my other half has ever had! The almond tart dessert was amazing!
The best Chinese was up the hill near Bellavista - something 'city'. We found the one on the way to St James's very bland - wouldn't recommend it. O Poco on the front was, sadly because of the view, the worst meal we had.

We caught the bus to Lagos and had a lovely afternoon walking around the Marina, shops and the old fort.

We found the sea and the pool very cold, but that didn't put us off.

PDLfan ;)
I am pleased that you had a good time in PDL. I'll maybe have to give the Forteleza another chance to impress us when we go back next month.
PS I like your new name :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.