Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
jbowler,

If you let us know your flight details, I'll check on the aircraft for you. Thomson Airways Boeing 767-300/ER fleet, as used on long haul flights comprises of former First Choice aircraft and Thomsonfly. That's because they recently merged. The former First choice aircraft (6 in the fleet) have 63 premium seats and the former Thomsonfly 31 (2 + 1 reserve aircraft). I suspect they've swaped an aircraft either due to maintenance or to increase seating capacity due to the knock-on effects from Mexico. These things happen and there's nothing you can do as they reserve the right to change aircraft at anytime. You've recieved a refund for the flight where you won't be seated in the premium cabin. Refer to our Thomson Airways thread over on the Flight Forum for more details.

Darren
departure flight is Flight number TOM132 leaving from Manchester 10.30am
jbowler,

The flights are operated by a former Thomsonfly aircraft with 31 premium seats at the moment. It was originally down as a former First Choice aircraft with 63 premium seats so it's looking like they've changed aircraft. Dom Rep (Puerto Plata) was an alternate destination for those mixed up in the Mexico (Swine flu) cancellations. To maximise the number of people they were able to fly out and provide an alternative holiday, it's looking like they swapped the aircraft from a 258 seat former First Choice aircraft to a 283 seat former Thomsonfly. Now that Mexico flights are due to resume, you should be on your original aircraft on your return flight. That's why you've had half of premium upgrade refunded. Hope that clears things up a little.

Darren
Cheers Darren,

Now if all that was explained 2 weeks about by the travel agent I could understand and accept its one of those things but for them to lie the way they did is just really annoying!!

JB
jbowler,

They may not have known 2 weeks ago as the situation with Mexico was changing all the time. The FCO only gave the ok to resume travel to Mexico last friday (15h May). They probably gave you the company line as it was at the time. Flights and normal operations are due to commence on 24th May but it'll take a week or so to get back to normal as there'll be a greater number of passengers in certain resorts until they've had their alternative holiday and returned home. The standard (economy) cabin is still fine but most will agree the former First Choice aircraft are nicer. You'll find loads of aircraft information on our What Aircraft? thread on the Flight Forum. It's the bit in between the flights that counts anyway.

Enjoy your holiday :cheers :sun2

Darren
From my experience a lot of travel staff both agents and airport couldnt tell the difference between a 767 and flying parrot :cry The explanation given by Dazbo is spot on, yet the staff who should be aware of these changes and why they happen just give the impression its not important.

Always remember checking in for an XL flight at Manchester and asking the `checker in` if the flight was being operated by the Boeing 737-800......`checker in` peers intently at a computer screen and says `no sorry the plane is a 738 :rofl :rofl .....says it all
paully,

From my experience a lot of travel staff both agents and airport couldnt tell the difference between a 767 and flying parrot

Getting a little :offtop now, but to be fair to those at check-in and not directly related to flight operations, unless they have an interest in aircraft / aviation, they probably wouldn't know the difference between aircraft (couldn't care less) and can only tell you what's shown on their screen. Although in your example, not knowing 738 was the code for a 737-800 is a little silly! But to them, they just see a list of passenger names and concentrate on making sure procedures are followed and everyone is checked-in. I once did some posters for My Travel so that passengers queing at check-in could read about the aircraft they would or might be travelling on in the future that went down realy well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Dazbo5/dw_100201.jpg

When they merged with Thomas Cook, they were lost. I revised them and sent the samples to Thomas Cook but they didn't want to know. We got great feedback from them but it seems unless you have an aviation interest, no one wants to know.

Darren
Fair point Daz but hopefully not going off topic too far, the type of aircraft and the problems it can throw up, as in this case, is something that the travel companies should be training their staff in and making them aware. They purport to offer a professional service but for the most part, there are exceptions I know,its just training for sales.

Loved the Mytravel photo display, I do seem to remember them at manchester. The fact they spurned your offer reinforces my point sadly.....well done though ;)
Your problem relates in some ways to another topic on HT. The vast majority of people will accept delays, changes and even cancellations if only the person telling them tells the truth. It is also a matter of communication within these companies.

Rather than tell staff there are only 31 premium seats and so tell some customers they will not get what they booked is not the way. If they had given the explanation as explained by Daz then, whilst disappointed, you would have known the reason why.

It is often the people further up the chain who are to blame. The poor sod who rings you is the one that gets the grief.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.