Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
I know its been stated that probotics drinks don't stop a dicky tummy, but if someone takes one everyday, suppose its a change to system if stop for 2 weeks holiday

Wife been able to get on recent trips to US, Malta & Zante

Anyone know if " Actimel " are available in Egypt / Sharm ( even better if in shops at Baron's Hotel ! )
I have used this site a few times for advice and was looking up tips about going to Egypt in November. However after reading all the things about tummy upsets (i don't normally believe everything i read!) i am very worried. Firstly i suffer from IBS and take anti-spasmodic and loperamide regulary so i am now worried that i don't have a chance as only certain medications work with me, that i will be so ill all holiday that it won't be worth it. Is it really that bad? The dirty money thing was bad enough but after reading about the tummy upsets i'm beginning to feel that people who have something like me can't go to these places. I know money can be disgusting in England alone as i used to work in a bank but is it really as bleak as all that? I've been to places like the Dominican Republic and managed on my current medication but i am seriously reconsidering this trip after reading the replies can someone put my mind at rest?
Hi ellieeh, we went to Sharm in May last year, we stayed B & B in the Hilton Sharm Dreams and went into Naama Bay every night to eat out in a different restaurant. We were fine and had no tummy upsets (there was me, himself and Katie who is 9 now). Yes the money is gross!! but we just ensured we washed our hands everytime we had touched it and we didn`t let Katie touch it. We are going back to Egypt again in May to Taba and in August to El Gouna. Please don`t worry I`m sure you will be fine if you are careful and I`m sure you will be.

Egypt is a great place I am sure you won`t regret it, only wish we had gone sooner.
Just spent a week at the Desert Rose Resort in Hurghada, and no one I spoke to there had any tummy upsets.

We ate everything from sea food to salads, and not a bit of discomfort. but didn't go swimming as it was too cold. So maybe the bugs are in the sea or the pools. I really don't know.

Mike handled all the money, and he was OK

We also had all of our meals in the Hotel.

Mike and Marn.
:yikes Just read this whole topic back to Nov 2004 to prepare for holiday in a couple of months. Can any of you seasoned travellers to Sharm comment on plan

Buy Drotazide (what is this. Is it an anit-bio?) from chemist in Egypt and take one a day a soon a poss to act as preventative. So hopefully wont need the following.

But, if the worst happens buy Antinal or Ciprofloxin 500 from chemist to cure problem.

Would you need Buscopan if you were taking anti-biotics? Dont like the idea of taking loads of meds. Are all these meds OK for kids over 10. Assume chemist will know.

Keep hydrated and avoid all the stuff you normally do in v hot climate, ice in drinks, salads etc. Take imodium with me, but dont take it unless dire emergency.

Regarding the hand gel. the stuff on http://www.ifsogo.com is 6.99 and superdrugs's 99p surely these cant be the same quality of product. I know in the context of the cost of a holiday neither is expensive, but thats a huge difference.

Enjoy Holiday. :D :D :D
With regard to the Superdrug hand gel, I'm a care assistant and many of the clients I look after have MRSA. My employer supplies me with the Superdrug hand gel so you can be assured it's perfectly adequate :wink:

Pippy :D
:thanks Pippy. I'll get the superdrug one and keep the spare cash to buy the other meds people have recommended. When I get my jabs i'm going to check the meds out with the nurse just to be sure my approach is OK, I dont want to do anything daft especially with the kids. :D
We took the Superdrug one last year, and will be buying it again for our holidays later this year. It is excellent value.
Keep hydrated and avoid all the stuff you normally do in v hot climate, ice in drinks, salads etc.

All depends on where you go and how clean they are... In the Coral Hilton in Nuweiba, I've had ice in drinks, fresh salad and even sushi... Never had a problem...
The coral hilton is on my 'to do' list mainly because of all the great things I've read on here about it. This time we are going to the Crowne Plaza on B&B in Sharm. I did read that all the big hotels are linked into a big filtration system which is good news if its true as I love ice in my drinks.

Will go into namma bay to eat so I will probably have to be a bit more careful if eating/drinking in various different places.
Having been to Egypt many many times, I am convinced that is simply not being vigilant in the heat which is the main cause of stomach cramps.
We always used to visit in May, then early October, which was often in the high 30's/low 40's C. Being a sunlover, I spend a lot of time by the pool & ALWAYS became ill, no matter how often I washed my hands/what or where I ate. It never spoilt my holiday, as the local pharmacy would always provide tablets which worked within 24 hours. However, in the last two years, we have changed our hols to March & November, & guess what - no probs! For anyone visiting Egypt in the hotter months, simply try to avoid long periods in the hot sun, drink plenty of ( not freezing) cold water, & limit alcohol. particularly steer clear of the wine which is very dry & dehydrates even more. Hope everyone has a calm- tummed holiday!
i think that generally in Egypt it appears to be people that stay all inclusive that have the problems. I did that at the LTI last year and we both were ill and so were many people in the resort. We always had bottle water, no salad etc...

I think once something gets into these places it just keeps going. Like you hear on cruise ships.

Is just my opinion. Know several people that have been to Sharm and stayed in nice hotels and eaten out every nigth at various places and have been fine.

I went to LTI in June, in September i was still having problems getting over the tummy upset. My partner was ok 2-3 weeks after the holiday. I guess it depends how fragile you are.
I have recently returned from Egypt staying at the Makadi Bay Hotel in Makadi, Hurghada and came back with a horrendous stomach bug. There were several other people on the plane home being sick and since returning have talked to two colleagues who have also just been to Egypt and they too were ill. Has anyone else been ill, I have written to my tour operator and am trying to compile a bit more information.

I have had a tip from someone who has been three times to Egypt and was only ill the first time. Make sure you take some anti-bacterial hand gel/spray with you and use it frequently.

I look forward to any other reports or even tips/suggestions
I went to Cairo from a trip from Cyprus and contacted Ecoli 0157 which at the time i thought it was the 'runs' and stomach cramps. It didnt go when i got home, but the stomach cramps got worse thats why the(GP) took a sample, and sent it off. It came back positive.

It hasn't put me off, i went to Sharm last year and day 3 of my holiday i got the cramps and 'runs' again, i went to the pharmacist across the peace road from the Sonesta Beach Resort (nearly next door to the Sonesta Club). He gave me some tablets, some dioralyte, to put the salt back in my body.

The pharmacist told us to keep off drinking their milk in tea, or eating yogurts, or anything with milk in that hasnt been cooked to the pasteurised temperature. In Egypt it isn't pasteurised as at home.

You will need wipes to get the muck off the dirty money. Lidl and aldi have some great ones for about 40p.

Dont drink with ICE in your drinks, and be careful of eating salads as it is washed in their water. But on the salad issue, we were told from the Saghettismo restaurant that all main hotel chains and good restaurants have a water supply filter, so the water is of good standard. Whether this is true or not, i dont know.

Another tip by the way is, visit your GP at home and get some pharmacy only medication for the tummy 'runs' and infection, and some dioralyte. it will be cheaper than paying in Egypt. It is better than any over the counter stuff, and Immodium doesnt work.

I hope that helps :D

I only going back to the same hotel and cant wait for the 3rd time, June 5th

Michelle xx :lol:
Been to Egypt (Sharm and Nuweiba) 8 times. Never been ill. I must be lucky.
Thanks, this is really helpful. To be honest it hasn't put me off going back either. Must be mad :lol:
I ve been to egypt many times and I would agree that yes some people are luckier than others. I havn't had a stomach bug for the last 9 years if you can believe it :) . Yet when i go on holidays and I eat exactly the same food as my dad and sister they are always sick for the first few days. Some people are just more sensitive than others :( . Also people are very quick to blame what they eat when sometimes its just the shock of the heat or the plane. Though I do pity them :( It must be awful to be sick on hols. Though if everyone from the same hotel is sick I d be worried. My advice would be wash your hands at every oppurtunity and carry anti bac gel or wipes!!!
good luck
I and my family all had the tummy bug last year and it seems to hit on the third day lasting about 3 days...we had Buscopan recomended to us and something else but cant remember the name :oops:
It hasnt put me off though as i am going back in september and again next year... i will just be more prepared :wink:
That is a very good tip about taking wipes because the money really is filthy :yikes
Yes, the wipes are a very good idea. But, I think that the anti-bacterial hand gel is even better. 8)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.