Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
good call Nigel. It cot me £9 for the two pakets. a bit of a rip off considering the price is on the packets and it should have been nearer £2 allowing for the pharmacy mark up. but they do work well.
We are meant to be going to the Iberotel Palace Hotel for Christmas i am concerned abput the number of people who are ill while staying in Sharm is there any body out there who has not been ill and what precautions did they take
Hi St-Clares,

I think everyone has reservation about getting the 'jip' - but it relly is a way of life :roll: There is so many factors in which my make you bad, What you see and read on this board is only the cases of people who have had tummy probs - there are thousand of happy couples that dont have any problems. The only advice I think is 'be prepared' - and be careful . Hotrodders mail above is very good - get the Antinal in ''Just in case'' - Dont let this issue spoil what im sure will be a great holiday in a great resort ... :wave
Hi St-Clares, I've done 2 trips to Egypt now, and one episode of diarrhoea. This was after being awake for about 30 hours straight doing an excursion (and funnily enough exactly the same happens to me when I work nights). I can safely say that was due to exhaustion and not Egypt!!!

I did not do anything before going to help with this. Whilst out there I never have drinks too cold, no ice, and I don't have the air-con too cold. First time I did avoid salads and unwashed fruit, second time I ate whatever I pleased. I'm also careful to drink lots of water and not much juice or coffee as they are both diuretics.

Not having problems is even more amazing for me as I have a severe gluten allergy (which causes sickness and diarrhoea), as well as irritable bowel syndrome.

I reassure everyone that going away and not getting sick is very possible. And just to reinforce that, my fiance has never been ill out there either.
Hi All

Just returned from Sharm i was ill for a couple of days but i actually felt not well before flying out although it continued for a few days into the holiday i had to get a jab from the doctor but it really was only for a couple of days i had gastricenteitis sorry cant spell it . I have never been ill on holiday and i only missed a day of sun i still say i took it with me. Some people had a bad tummy for a day or two but these were the people who i met sitting at the bar during the day in the scorching heat with a beer in their hands so i put it down to these factors we were probably dehydrating ourselves so probably our own fault as the food was always roasting and you didnt really get ice in your drink unless you asked so i never bothered with it. Most people used the chemist next to the hotel for medicine and were ok after a day didnt really hear anyone laid up in bed just jippy tummy but well enough to go out.

Debs
Hi

We are just back from sharm and for the first week i did have some tummy upsets so before the second week i went to the chemist and bought some rehidration sachets (box has a mother and baby on the front) I got four boxes of 10 sachets for 10 egyptian pound (£1) took two each morning with some orange juice (tastes better) and tummy upset had gone so i think it is dehidration as nobody drinks the 6 liters of water a day which they recommend!
My mum just told me a great cure should you get sick. She went on a Nile cruise and got an iffy tummy - one of the staff told her to bite into a slice of lemon covered in instant coffee. She was a bit dubious, but the sickness went instanty!!!! :lol:
Can anyone advise of any over the counter medicines that it would be wise to take over to Sharm?
Everyone seems to mention rehydration sachets? Can these be bought over here?
Thanks
Yes they can, look in Superdrug or Boots, you don't need to buy a brand name product.
Hi

I took loads of meds with me when I went 3 weeks ago but never used any. My wife did get ill so we visited the on site chemist who sold us 2 lots of tablets that sorted her out in no time.
Thanks pippy, I'll look out for them at the weekend. Would you suggest anything else?

tony_nufc - hopefully the same will happen for us - but it would be just my luck for one of use to pick some sort of bug up if I din't go prepared.
Have a read through THIS to see some of the items I took in my first aid box.
tykeuk
if you have kids go to the doctor we went and told doctor we were worroed incase ant of us picked up bad tummy, especially my youngest who is 10 as she has duplex kidney and reflux so cant afford her to get unwell as she goes down hill fast, he prescribed tablets for the runs and hydration sachet,s all were free on prescription as they were for the kids but he said he had given us enough to cover us all.
thanks chelsearethebest - good advice. I don't have kids but my girlfriend is quite prone to picking up tummy upsets etc so I'll give the doc's a try.
hi ,have enjoyed reading through this site.It has given me some great information.Have been told by a friend to take acidophilus from the health food shops.They take them and have said they never get bad stomachs.Has anyone else used them and do they help. :?:
I have been 6 times to Egypt and only once have I had any kind of tummy upset; immodium sorted it within 2 hours.
We just got back and we used Buscopan tablets, they are really for IBS but they help with the tummy upsets you can get from going from hot to a cold air conditioned room. Found them also useful for flying to settle tummy.
:hyper We had a party of 4 adults and 2 children. We were all mainly OK.
We were sometimes a bit looser than normal, but that is all. None of us are big alcohol drinkers. During the day we mainly drank water.
Can anyone tell me if they think it better to take immodium with you or wait and just buy something when you get there,hopefully before you need it going thurs morning thanks. :fly :wave :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.