Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi cnorris :D

I've just read through this thread from start to finish, have written down the names of all the meds mentioned, but as some of the posts don't follow on from the original questions I am now a bit confused as to which medication is for which part of the body, bowel or belly!!

I've noted down the following...

Antinal
Diax
Motillium
Bucsopan
Ciprofloxacin
Metoclopramide
Rehydration sachets

I'd like to buy some of these items prior to departure so that if required they are immediately to hand.

I will look in Tesco for the Bucsopan, this is to help stop bowel spasms, is that correct?

Will also look in Tesco for our rehydration sachets, I always take those on holiday anyway.

I'd be very grateful if you could give me a rundown on which product is effective for which complaint, which can be used in conjunction with the other meds mentioned (don't want to overdose!), which can be bought over the counter in this country.

I appreciate you're not a GP, but if you are able to advise it would be a great help.

Many Thanks.

Philippa :D
  • Edited by Pippy 2005-07-11 06:28:27
Found some info about Buscopan :D

CLICK HERE

Will definitely be buying that.
Will tell you what I can!!!

Antinel and Diax - Egyptian brands so don't know much about them I'm afraid
Domperidone - anti-sickness, works on the gut to stop nausea and vomiting
Metoclopramide - anti-sickness, works on gut and brain
Buscopan - anti-spasmodic, stops stomach cramps (if you prefer a more natural equivalent, try Colpermin - this is Peppermint Oil and has similar effects)
Ciprofloxacin - broad-spectrum antibiotic, that is, supposed to kill any bugs (not something available over-the-counter here)
Loperamide (AKA Immodium) - medical equivalent of a cork!!!
Rehydration salts - supposed to help with dehydration, but drinking is best.

I tend to stick with brands I know here and that are over the counter, anything stronger than that (ie only available from the GP here) I just feel should only be got from the GP. Only problem with buying meds abroad, is that they are unlikely to be recognised over here, and if you do have any sort of reaction help may be more difficult to find as people don't know the meds you've been having. But then thats just my humble opinion...!!!
Have to say it is actually worthwhile taking some immodium with you. I class it as one of those medical kit essentials, esp if you need something that works quickly or if you're on an excursion with not many loos.

Just don't take the immodium chewy tablets, had them once and the taste made me physically sick, couldn't get rid of it for a couple of days. Boots do their own version in capsules, much better!!
My understanding is that Ciprofloxacin, a broad-spectrum antibiotic is the same as 'Antinal' neither is available here. The last time I tried to buy Antinal in Egypt was in September last. I was told it was no longer available but offered Ciprofloxacin as its alternative. From what I remember reading on the Antinal packet they are very much the same product. I agree with everything that cnorris has said but have to say that neither my wife or myself have suffered any side effects from taking them over several years now. The one thing I can say for certain is that the only time I took 'Imodium' whilst in Egypt was the only time I needed to call a doctor out. I have never felt so ill in my life but within one hour of receiving a couple of jabs I was fine. I think that the prognosis was 'my colon was in spasm'. Whatever it was, it never happened before or since. I would only ever take 'Imodium' or similar products if I were getting on a plane in a few hours time, I would then dash to my doctors on arrival home.
Keep taking the medicine :D :D :D
Tez
Thanks Tez :D

I've bought some Buscopan in case of spasms, I know how painful they can be :?

Think I've made my mind up about the Immodium, I will/won't/will/won't/will/won't take some with me.

:lol: :lol:
Pippy, take the Imodium, but think of it as a last resort cork. :oops:
Tez
I've only actually needed the Immodium once, and as you say it was a last resort - out on the last night of the holiday, and after using McDonalds toilet in Sharm once, the Immodium was worth it!!! Its handy for trips, travelling etc when you don't know what toilets you will come across (Sinai climb is a prime example). Otherwise best option is good old water - keeps you nicely hydrated. Stick a bit of squash in it as an equivalent to rehydration salts as the sugurs will give you some energy, (not too much squash though as it is a diuretic!!!).
Hi! Agree and support all sound advice here..but please be careful on maximum single dosages and when taking several drugs together..."poly-pharmacy" is always risky when similar drugs have similar side effects even when they are apparently different drugs for different problems. The side effects then build up! Several of the drugs including Buscopan cause dryness etc so beware. Buscopan is also to be used with caution for diarrhoea!

Please be careful with suitability dosages for children!!

cnorris...i agree...plain old water (with squash..we always take 2 litres of diet pink grapefruit :o !!!!) and lots of it..and avoid prolonged sun and alcohol exposure! Immodium indeed corks well when needed!
With antiobiotics.........surely there are good reasons for sensible use..many believe that use when unnecessary causes reduction in natural immunity, contributing to the problems with todays so called "super bugs" eg MRSA! :shock:
Few people experience such discomort that their hols are disrupted, and medical help then is required to intervene..most of us will have fab time! Just need to map toilet access and fast escape routes on occasions :oops:

Kind Regards
Lyn
Hey Lyn, nice to see the opinions of a fellow nurse on here!!! Just to clarify... wasn't saying not to take Cipro, I realise it has its uses. I'm just not keen of taking medications without a prescription when over here they are prescription-only. I realise they may be available over-the-counter in Egypt, but I understand more about the medical system here and how are drugs are regulated, so I'd trust things from here that bit more!!!
Many different people on this site have mentioned a small bottle of liquid that can be used to wash hands and water is not needed.
What is the name of this I can't seem to find it in the parmacy... I don't live in the UK so cannot get to Superdrug.

Thank you.
Hi

There are several brand names, all you need to look for is an alcohol hand rub gel, no need to pay big money for a fancy brand :D
Is bottled water freely available to buy in the hotels? I have read with concern that buying it on the streets it may not be bottled but tap water that has been used to fill the bottle up.

I have emailed both my hotels & asked them about ice in drinks & how they wash their salads & vegetables. One of them so far has responded & said all their vegetables are washed in purified water & the same for ice.

I am very worried about picking something up. I don't have the best stomach at the best of times. I read with interest on one thread that you can buy Ciprofloxcin in Egypt.
http://www.cdc.gov/travel/destinat.htm

Something I didn't mention in my holiday review was about health and stuff while in Egypt....now not to worry anyone but I never heard or saw any creatures or bugs in my room. Only had lovely lizards and ants outside in the evening...

However, I was bitten to death on one day and had an allergic reaction which looked gross! (Even have video footage of one bite that you can see flashing yellow and red)!

Anyway I met a lady on the flight home who had been hospitalised on her 2nd day with a strain of e-coli???? (In her words "I had no guts for a week). Although she said she was looked after very well in Egypt. Then another person on the second to last day said his girlfriend was in hospital and had a strain of e-coli or something that sits alongside e-coli...

The point being, above is a link to a really good website...it details any outbreaks all over the world and what to be aware of.
Dee
Briar has brought a very important addition to this thread by including the post from the man who’s wife has been hospitalised after returning from holiday. It is absolutely imperative that you inform your doctor, hospital staff or anyone else who needs to be told, that you have been abroad should you become ill at a later date. Symptoms of some illnesses can easily appear to be something very different when viewed in the context of the country you are being treated in. This is especially true with parasitic infections that may cause blood to be passed in urine etc. This for example can easily be mistaken for a kidney infection. Always tell your doctor.
Tez
I tried to buy Bucsopan before going to Sharm but fortunately read the instructions inside. It said not for women over 40 - the pharmacist couldn't find anything in her book as to why this was so I didn't buy it.

I did take ill over there... took two immodium which 'passed through' within five minutes with disasterous results! Went straight to the pharmacist who gave me two lots of tablets, which I took there and then, and got to say I had instant relief. Other people tried to persevere with immodium and ended up quite ill, actually had to visit the doctor for injections. The type of antibiotics they dish out there are specific to 'their' type of bugs and the anti-diarroeah tablets too.

One piece of advice, a box of ten egyptian rehydration salts costs £1.50 - worth their weight in gold. We took them three times a day and they really do give you a boost... bit like red bull!

I just got home yesterday and finished the tablets then. So far so good, but I have kept the packets just in case of further repercussion.
Same problem LD. Had to go to the pharmacy and probably got the same tabs. as you. They did the trick as did the rehydrate sachets. taste rotten though.
I was wondering if it would be a good idea for us to drink one of the rehydration sachets every evening regardless of whether or not we have an upset tummy, just to ensure we don't become dehydrated?

We will of course keep up our fluid intake throughout the day.
I started taking three a day before I became unwell. I was so lethargic the first week with the heat and everything and that was staying in the shade for most of the time! I felt that the rehydration sachets did give me a boost though and the peace of mind knowing that if nothing else I shouldnt get dehydrated!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.