Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Ah this is interesting Sue, why/ because i asked the same question when we went a few weeks ago.

I had the trots whilst out there, got sorted with medication, but one thing the Pharmacy man told us was keep off the milk because it has bacteria in it, so for the two weeks we drank Egyptian tea which was actually quite nice.

By the second week my husband said to the manager of a restaurant called Spaggettismo, i wish i could eat a sald, the manager asked why he couldnt and explained about the milk and water situation.

He told me that in Naama Bay the restaurants and hotels have a water system that is filtered so we are getting pure water not the none sterilized liquid. We did eat salads after that and enjoyed them. He said if we didnt believe him, then we could look in the kitchen, it is filtered through the Movenpik hotel at the end of Naama Bay.

So really it is up to you whether you drink tea/coffee or anything with water in it...if you try it and become ill, after medication, you will know not to try it again.
A few people heave mentioned antinyl and dianax (sorry, not sure on spelling). Can anyone tell me if these are suitable for children? My youngest is 3
Regarding 'Antinyl' and young children. I don't think that it is now available in Egypt. I could not obtain it when I tried in September. It was made by 'La Roche' if that helps. No you can't buy it in the UK I have tried.
Most people I know that have used it , swear by it. whatever the pros and cons of using an antibiotic are, I am not be qualified to say. I only know it works for me and other people I know. It will kill off all types of badies in the gut and according to the label it does not affect your immune system and you do not develope some sort of anti-bodies (I wish I had the label) Anyway, the pharmacist gave me 'Ciprofloxacin 500' and said it was the same thing. There is nothing on the packet regarding children, so I would suggest the following: Go to your own doctor and tell him the name ie. 'Ciprofloxacin 500' and ask him the question. I am sure that even though he won't have it, he will have access to some data base and he can advise you if it is safe for little people. :D
Tez
Doxycycline is a good all rounder!! Kills everything in your stomach - including your stomach and bowel if you dont eat with it! prevents malaria (not that you need malaria prevention in egypt) and can combat an array of STD's!! so a good all rounder for a holiday! (but not my kinda holiday may i add!!)

Caroline & Kirsten :wave
(I think thats why ive not had a bad tummy anywhere ive taken it - Kenya and The Gambia!)
Had a little look at Ciprofloxacin in my Formulary at work tonight. Says that for children it is not recommended "unless benefits outweigh risk" - basic uses in children are for anthrax and pneumonia. It can cause joint problems. In the doses they do list, they only mention over 5's. Therefore I would say a definate no to giving it to your little one!!!!
I read that you should try not to take immodium or anti diahorrea tablets as it keep the problem inside you.

One guest we met from anotherl hotel actually took laxatives and his problem cleared in under 2 days.
Cnorris

Buscopan - is that something that you can buy over the counter here? Didnt have any tummy probs last year but my daughter [almost 14] does tend to get 'spasms' which are painful but dont always come to anything.
Regarding the taking of laxatives - and going back to my previous post - I use senokot, a natural laxative which is ok for children and works a treat - but is this advisable? Im still uncertain but would like to know if is safe or not??

cnorris and Tez. Thankyou both for your replies. Will have a look at ciprofloxacin for us 'oldies' and my older daughter, will ask the pharmacist about something for my little 'un. will let you know how I get on. Thanks again. This forum is great for tips and information.
I noticed in Tesco the other day that they were selling Buscopan off the shelf. They are selling it as being for irritable bowel, but its a really good anto-spasmodic. A good alternative if you like something gentler is Colpermin, which is peppermint based. Good for cramps, I just find it useless for irritable bowel.
My only concern with laxatives is that they can actually cause diarrhoea, but not sure they do any harm. But its just always important to keep hydrated, even if nothing is staying in for long.

Immodium is normally only given when you are sure there's no infection. It does bung you up quite badly (2 weeks was my record), but it is good to save your holiday!!! Unlikely to work on your first dose, but keep trying after any diarrhoea episodes.
Hi all

Were going to Pyramisa this weekend and we love Salads! Should we avoid eating these in case of Delly Belly?? Or are we ok!

Thanks

Paul and Andrea

:)
YES
I have a golden rule in Egypt I dont eat it unless its cooked and its got to be hot. I've now been 8 times never had a problem. My wife who eats salads has had three problems even though she ate at the hotel and they claimed all salads washed with bottled water.
I go by the same rule, only eat hot cooked food if possible although the salad buffets look lovely I keep well away from them.
Thanks for the replies guys and gals :)
hey again,

I went looking at anti-nausea/sickness/diarrhoea tablets in the chemist. I have the diarrhoea ones sorted but not the sickness (most important for me!!)

i saw some called "molodium" or something like that, can't quite remember the name. Anybody had these or recommend any better ones and where I can get the from, less than a week to go now :lol:

thank you

:P Heather :P
Hi Heather 86 go to chemist in egypt and get Antinal its an antiseptic for your stomach in tablet form it works a treat for egypt tummy
The general one that you can pick up here is metoclopramide, but do bear in mind that if you take an anti sickness tablet, whatever is causing the sickness with then be forced out another way (ie.. south!!) just the same as if you have something nasty in your southern regions, taking loperamide, or 'immodium' can in some nasty cases make you sick!

PS, For cnorris, i appreciate the comment about hydrarion if using laxatives to rid yourself of tummy trouble, i always keep myself and my daughter extra hydrated on holiday, and even more so if there is any ill health
Most common over the counter anti-sickness is Motillium, generic name Domperidone. Its great stuff, and is widely used in hospitals for sickness as a first line. Over the counter dosage is same as hospital one too. Good for nausea control as well as vomiting.

It will not necessarily force everything south. I use it for a severe gluten allergy which causes sickness and diarrhoea, and it actually stops both, basically by slowing the contractions of your gut.

Metoclopramide is good, but works on the brain's centres for dealing with nausea. Therefore not so great for actual vomiting.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.