Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I don't know where anyone gets the idea that Icmeler is the kind of resort where people go to get drunk out of their skulls. I've never seen that there and I hope I never will. To me, it's one of the nicest, friendliest places I've ever been and thankfully free from all that - long may it remain so. Yes, prices may have gone up a bit, but as far as I'm concerned, it's still much better value than anywhere else I've holidayed, and as I've already said, much more friendly and welcoming than the likes of Spain, for instance.
Where was you eating whilst out there??? Did you try Venice??

Stew
i been reading this posts where people say prices have gone up , :(
having just come back from 3 weeks in icmeler and having been at least 11 times before
i can say prices have gone up and with lira dropping it is very expensive in some places
i found that visiting bars and restaurants i manged to find cheap offers ie efes 1.75ytl
at buffalo, and champion was 2ytl , i visited certain bars and arranged everytime i was their for the 3 weeks they would give me at least 15% of my bill, :tup
some prices on restaurant billboards are not always listed some do this to compete with other places. some people who visit turkey for the first time and who have only been a couple of times might find it expensive for a family, my tip is to look around and get familar with bar/restaurant owners and ask for good deals everytime you visit their places, dont be put of haggling everyone does it for clothes,jewellery,trips, so why not food and drink
several posts have now been removed from this thread. I have read this thread from the beginning and it has some interesting observations and good discussion. If you wish to continue to contribute to this thread please keep personal comments and attacks out if it. (several posts removed were not in any way at fault- they just made no sense after the posts before them were removed)
Please also do not comment on this post- its best to just try to get the thread back on track- and I know many of you will be happy to do that :)
Strange thing is how many people go out to their local pub every weekend and think nothing about how much it costs for a pint, but need to find the cheapest when on holiday.

I work hard for my holiday and intend to enjoy my self, Its the only real time I get to spend with the kids due to working shifts, I am going A/I but as far as I am concerned thats great for when your sitting around the pool during the day, but dont want to be sat at the hotel bar all night as well, so will be taking in some of the bars and restaurants in Marmaris, how many people say I have been to Marmaris on holiday and spent the whole 2 weeks in the hotel on A/I

Prices may have increased, but they are still a LOT cheaper than most of the european resorts we brits choose to frequent, also I know some people are on a tight budget, but holidays are about getting away from the daily grind of work and cost of living in the UK, so hang the cost and enjoy yourselves IMHO
But there is a difference between going out on a Saturday night and spending 5 quid extra because a pint has gone up 40p.

Apologies I know this is well :offtop but people keep bringing in prices here as justification for why Turkey is expensive.

When you're planning a holiday you look at the total budget & if a holiday in Turkey is going to go from 1,600 to 2,300 some people especially families may have to think again. It may mean they can only have 10 & not 14 days, choose AI or HB when they would rather go SC and eat out all the time or even choose somewhere else like Bulgaria, Egypt, Goa etc so they can still afford 14 days.

Budgets for nights out at home and an annual holiday are completely differerent.

Its hardly news how expensive the UK is most of us live here (and have salaries and equity in our homes to show for it).

But it is news to a lot of first timers to Turkey that it is expensive there as it's always been marketed as a cheapie destination.

One of the first things I was told about Turkey is 'you must go there it's so cheap'. Things change.
Perhaps more worrying is the way that the exchange rate has fallen in recent weeks. A few weeks ago it was arounf 2.3 tl to £ now it is down to 2.1 tl to £. last year I was getting around 2.5 tl to £.This will make it even more expensive particularly of you are on a tight budget

Stewart
l just looked on m&s and rate has gone down again
it is getting worring as i was looking to go again this year

M&S exchange rate
1 GBP = 2.0775 Turkish Lira
Live Rates Sat, 16 Aug 2008 07:37:59 GMT
I totally agree with what Doepsmc said... I went to marmaris last year for 14 days, myself and 3 kids,took just over £1000 spending money, we didnt go overboard, except for having our evening meals in the restaurants along the beach front, we ran out of money 2 days before coming home (what an awful experience) however it hasnt put me off from returning, but when we go back this october we are going for just 10 days, with just over a £1000 for spends, but this time we are going to stay away from the beach front restaurants and try to find some of the back street cafes etc... just hope my money lasts the whole of the holiday this year, other wise next year i will be forced to leave the kids at home! :rofl ;)
mitchellclr wrote:
I totally agree with what Doepsmc said... I went to marmaris last year for 14 days, myself and 3 kids,took just over £1000 spending money, we didnt go overboard, except for having our evening meals in the restaurants along the beach front, we ran out of money 2 days before coming home (what an awful experience) however it hasnt put me off from returning, but when we go back this october we are going for just 10 days, with just over a £1000 for spends, but this time we are going to stay away from the beach front restaurants and try to find some of the back street cafes etc... just hope my money lasts the whole of the holiday this year, other wise next year i will be forced to leave the kids at home! :rofl ;)

Good for you. There are ways around the fact that it is no longer cheap and you have found one of them.

I have had that sinking feeling in my stomach when I have 4 days of holiday left and only 2 days of money. It is truely horrible when you have a couple of kids in tow. Especially if you go to a destination you have been told is cheap and turns out not to be as cheap as as you were lead to beleive.

That is why I now go AI or HB at least that way if their is no money towards the end you can still eat and drink :tup just not go on day trips, shop etc :(

Its all very well people saying just wack it on a card, but who wants to come home from a holiday to a load of debt.

Doe :sun2
to help budget for the higher costs why not take your holiday spends and split it up into 14 envelopes(or one per day). Stick them in the safe and just one out each day.
Fiona we do exactly that ,we budget on a daily basis,saying we have so much to spend a day.We take a calculater with us and plenty of paper to work things out,and at the end of the night hubby counts the money and sometimes we havent quite spent the amount for that day so its carried over to the next day and so on.By the end of the 2 weeks we have a lot left over because we have budgeted well.I know some will say that you shouldnt spend your time calculating your money everyday,but it works for us.
We dont eat out at a restaurant everyday as i feel the drinks bump up the prices especially with the children and the waiters coming up to them and asking them if they want another drink,of course theyre going to say yes.Even with all the price rises turkey is my ideal holiday destination. :sun2
Thats exactally what i do as well,budget for each day,then if there is anything left over from that day,add it on for the next days spends,i usually have a bit left over then at the end of the hol,for some extras for the kids to spend on the usual t-shirts,etc :tup
I have always gone by a daily budget on holiday! I don't go as far as putting it into separate envelopes instead only taking out my 'allowance' for the day into my purse.

Far from being restricting we find it helps us keep on tops of things and we get quite excited when we count up (usually the next morning if we have had a few) and find we have some budget left over! It also makes us more aware if we have gone over budget a couple fo days that we need to be more careful.

We went to Turkey for the first time this year and before coming on here we thought it was cheap...however I am glad I listened to the advice on here as we took more than enough money. When I way that though we still spent £1200 in a fortnight for 2 of us, out of that only £50 max on souvenirs, no duty free either.
My friend just got back from ibiza and said the average price of a pint was £4.... so efes being 3-4lira is a bargain if you ask me! And you don't have the yakky spanish waiters and you have the lovely friendly turkish ones! :cheers

Everywhere has gone up, my weekly shopping has gone up approx £15, but Turkey is still fab!

Love Nikki xx
I agree with Doepsmc that Turkey has a reputation for being a cheap destination & that's where the problem lies. I think this is no longer the case.
We're just back form 2 weeks in Zante and found it much cheaper than Bitez where we were at the start of July.
It wouldn't necessarily put me off returning to Turkey but I'd have different expectations. I just wonder if these very sudden price increases that people have mentioned won't adversely affect their tourist industry?
Yes I hate it when waiters ask the children, especially when your attempting to leave a bar!!!
Just got back from Altinkum ,and have to say the prices are not cheap, prices are not far from the British prices(alcohol ) Although the meals were still value for money.I don't think i will be visiting turkey for a good few years ,but did enjoy my holiday.
Finding all this quite worrying really. Planning on spending 2wks in April out there but as a single parent to a soon to be 8yr old, I can't imagine scraping together £1000 spending money on top of flights + accomodation. Is it really that expensive? Might really need to consider if there is a cheaper destination out there tbh
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.