Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
prices food etc
7 Posts
hi maryb iam staying in viva menorca in cala n bosch any information you can give me would be most welcome were to go want todo with two young children :) .
Hi :wave: Stayed in Cala'n Bosch last year (not Viva) with children aged 3 and 7 and to be honest they were happy with the beach and pool during the day, but there are places in resort you can go. Viva Menorca is right by the waterpark, also there's a couple of playparks with bouncy castles in the resort which are meant to be good, sorry can't tell you prices as we didn't go! In the evenings if you head down to the marina there's a bandstand where a couple of men play music and the little ones can have a dance around - I'm sure your 2 year old will love that. Also one of the restaurants - Fiesta tex mex has an indoor play area to the rear - the staff dress as clowns, etc and they do face painting and try their best to entertain them. You can also go into any of the hotel or apartment complexes to watch their entertainment (just buy a drink).

Are you planning on eating out? We paid on average between 30 and 40 eu in the evening for one course with drinks for the 4 of us, but obviously that was last year so not sure how prices may have changed.

There's a couple of glass bottom boats you can take from the marina, but again we didn't get round to doing them, but have heard they are worthwhile. Gosh, sounds like we did nothing!! We hired a car and visited lots of resorts around the island and took picnics for the kids to have on different beaches which they loved.

Whatever you decide to do whilst there...I have no doubt you will love it, IMO it's a perfect place for families with young children. Are you going soon?
Alas, just back from a week in Son Parc about an hour ago! :cry
Anyhow, with regard to food shopping, we found prices high on most items. I had kept some receipts to share prices on here, but the wife has just told me that she dumped them before we left the villa this morning! :que ... Very useful! ... However, from memory, and shopping mainly from the big, newer supermarket in the Poligon Industrial Estate near the Airport in Mahon, we paid (prices in euros)...

MILK... 1 litre of local ... 1.55 (Imported Cravendale was 2.50)
LOAF OF BREAD ... Anywhere between 1.80 and 2.50
LONG FRENCH STICK ... 0.90 to 1.20
4 PACK OF ICED DONUTS ... 2.90
MARGARINE (500g) ... 1.80 for local up to 3.00 for imported (Flora)
MATEUS ROSE WINE ...3.80 (4.80/5.25 in Son Parc supermercados)
TOILET TISSUE (6 pack) ... 1.84 for decent stuff (0.85 for bog standard (excuse the pun) 4 pack in Son Parc)
HELLMAN'S MAYONNAISE (medium sized jar) ... 2.40
STEAKS (4 thin cuts for BBQ) ... 5.00
CHICKEN KEBABS (4 for BBQ) ... 4.80
BEEFBURGERS (4 pack, locally wrapped) ... 3.80
FISH (dorada) 3.40/4.00 each
CHEESE SLICES (8 pack) ... around 2.00
HAM SLICES (8 pack) ... around 2.00
SAN MIGUEL BEER (small can) ... 0.70, (large can) ... 0.95, 1 litre bottle ... 1.25 - 1.80
ALL FRUIT AND VEG ... reasonably priced and comparable to UK.

As we were in a villa, we choose to BBQ a few times, but we ate out at the Pinomar (I think it was called) in Son Parc, where we had 4 routine main courses, a small bottle of water, 2 cokes and a small beer ... cost was 49 euros.

Last night, we decided to go to eat in Fornells and stumbled upon a veritable gem of a restaurant called El Pescador. We had 2 rounds of garlic bread and 2 starters ... Prawn Cocktail (I know) :que and a delicious spinach and prawns in a creamy sauce!
4 main courses ... roast chicken and a wondrous roast pork shank for the 2 kids, pork in a stoganoff sauce for the wife and a mouthwatering sole stuffed with prawn and salmon in a heavenly sauce for me! (all with accompanying veg/chips)
Then we had 3 desserts (approx 6.00 each) ... chocolate crepes and profiteroles for the boys, and a chocolate sundae ice cream for me!
2 cokes, a bottle of water and a small beer ... total 80.24 euros ... a real bargain! I'm so sorry that I waited until the last night to go there, otherwise it would have been a regular haunt! :duh

Was in Cala'n Bosch yesterday lunchtime and bought 2 kebabs for the kids (which weren't great, TBH) for 5.95 each!

Crikey! ... what a long post! :really

Hope this helps a bit!
thanks to all for the information sound like a great place for the kids ;) but expensive and i from ireland so use to the euro :yikes going on 21aug for two week i think iwill need to bring credit card :cry
IMO, you've picked exactly the right resort for your young family in Cala'n Bosch. :tup
I live in Northern Ireland and was in the Republic a few weeks back for the Irish Open golf and was astounded how little my £ bought! 5 euro's for a bottle of Bulmers and 4.95 for a pint of Budweiser in the hotel (CityNorth, Dublin) :yikes ... I noted that a pint of Magners in Menorca was about 4.75, so you'll be quids in! :cheers Local beers (San Miguel etc) are about half the price, and taste much nicer on holiday anyway.
As you say, take the credit card just in case ... but don't let the potential expense worry you ... You will quickly learn where to shop for the best prices and adapt! just look forward to and enjoy your holiday first and foremost! It'll be fantastic! :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.