Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Child stealers are certainly a new one on me and I go out twice a year. The only problem you may have is that your children will probably be thoroughly spoiled, particularly the smaller ones, and may insist on going again next year :roll: The animation teams in the hotels always seem to love the kids and make a great fuss of them. Pickpockets are unfortunately a fact of life wherever you go, even in England, but you wouldn't walk round at home with your wallet hanging out of your back pocket here either so just take sensible precautions. Violence is very rare and although mobile phones may occasionally get stolen you will not get knifed in the process, as sometimes happens in England.

OK - now for the facts.

1) Ramadan starts on 13th September next year and lasts approx four weeks. Life in the hotels goes on as usual, the only difference you will find is that during daylight hours it may be difficult to get alcoholic drinks outside the hotels and some pavement cafes do not serve food outside, though you can sit inside. Taxis etc. are a little scarce from about 4.30 for a couple of hours whilst the drivers go home to break their fast.

2) This year Magazin General was not selling alcohol even to non-Moslems, because it was Ramadan, although they have done in the past. You can buy alcohol in the hotel, but you may prefer to take a couple of bottles with you to be on the safe side.

3) Never been to the Balearics so I really don't know but I doubt you'll be too disappointed.

4) Price sounds excellent.

5) Normal jabs though I've never bothered with them in the past. This year I mentioned to the doc that I was off to Tunisia again and he said if I liked he would give me the jabs there and then so I took up his offer.

6) Still a closed currency. The exchange rate is set by the government so no need to shop around. You can change money at the hotel or Bureaux de Change and there are ATMs everywhere. You will no doubt have read that it is illegal to take dinars in or out of Tunisia and I would never encourage anyone to flout the rules, however the TTT Bureaux de Change at some airports in the UK are quite happy to let you have dinars if you will need a taxi the other end and want a quick get-away when you land. It is only worth doing for smallish amounts as it works out a bit more expensive and as you are getting transfers you won't need it. By the same token I always take the risk and bring some dinars back with me and so far I've never had a problem, though some people say that they have.

Hope this is of some help. Anything else please don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks again for the replies, my mind is now made up.

Re kiddy stealers its this link for your info (resort reports for Sousse 11/06).

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/tunisia/sousse/

Im booking holday tonight woo-hoo ! 305 days to go.... :yipee
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.