Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Try to get a day trip to Sfax while you're there. Get to the train station by 8.00am and buy a "Comfort Class" return train ticket. Watch out for the amphitheatre at El Jem on the way. The medina at Sfax is huge and there are some real bargains to be had. Not many tourists make it to Sfax so you won't get the hard sell that you do in Sousse.
We found Sousse to be a brilliant location. Take a walk or the Noddy train up to the marina in Port El Kantoui. It really is a lovely site. El Djem is a definate must. Don't worry too much about people hastling you to buy things. Just say no and walk away.

However, above all have fun and enjoy yourself.
thanks for the info, we'll do our best to have a good time and will report back soon :D
:cry: how jealous am i of you where only going on the 30th June .
Try and get to the Camel Market in Sousse on a Sunday Morning ,. Its a great experience , but be careful what u buy ,, they do tend to sell alot of second hand things ...

Have a brilliant time . :D
hi, just back today, we did make it to the sunday market and got a few bargains, really enjoyed the haggling -once i'd got the hang of it!
i'll give a proper review of the holiday when i've had some sleep but on the whole we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
felt pretty hot as we're all a little burnt (despite lashings of factor 15) we had blue skies and brilliant sunshine every day but yesterday when it had clouded over and felt much cooler (but still not cold and we still sat out sunbathing by the poolmost of the day) a local we were chatting to in sousse medina said it had reached 45 in tunis on saturday but the board on the beach usually had the high temp in the high 30s, definately hot enough for us!
hi,
here's the review promised earlier sorry it's taken so long but been busy. I won't go in to too much detail on the hotel as i'll save that for a hotel review but we stayed at Tour Khalef situated about half way between sousse town and P.E.K.

As first time visitors to Tunisia we were a little anxious we'd heard all the usual horror stories with regards to food and hassle but had fancied tunisia for quite a while so after reading the good reviews on here decided to give it a go.

coming from the airport at about midnight we passed through some rather scary looking neighbourhoods (everything looks more ominous after dark) and passed a rather smelly chemical (?) works, this did not really appease our worries.

However the tourististy areas were instantly reconisable everything was suddenly block paved - or in the process of blockpaving - large rather posh looking hotels set in huge grounds littered the roadsides and we began to relax a little. On arrival at the hotel we had to fill in another card which with 3 tetchy children was a bit of a pain but we could not help but be impressed by our surroundings - all marble and ornate pillars.After a problem with rooms we eventually retired for the night.

In the morning we woke to our first view of tunisia; looking out across landscaped gardens to a beautiful turquoise/blue sea glistening in brilliant sunlight -stunning. the first day we didn't venture out of the complex and marvelled at the fine white sands virtually on our doorstep, the b4each had a wide variety of watersports and was truley beatiful. Having previously only visited france and the canaries the beach touts were completely new to us and being pasty and white, and therefore obviously newly arrived, we were a target. However, the touts selling everything from carpets to palm trees only ever bother you the once like the shopkeepers both around the hotel and in sousse town they seem to remember everyones face and simply smile and wave if you have previously refused their wares. The tunisian people in general were very very friendly, initially we put this down to them trying to sell us things but even locals we met in ars etc were happy to stay around and chat. In fact as our hotel was mostly occupied by rather sourfaced germans and russians (sorry for the sweeping statement but they really were ignorant and miserable!) the tunisian both visiting the complex and working there were a welcome relief from most of the hauty guests. We had one bad experience on a the three cities trip when a group of over zealous and intimidating touts thrust objects onto our children and demanded money which eventually we gave them to get away, also there is a bit of a money change scam that some people fell for so if anyone asks for change just plead poverty.

Despite this we eventually felt confident to venture out alone and visit sousse and P.E.K. Sousse medina is one of the best places i have ever been the atmosphere is brilliant, the stallholders incredibly cheeky and funny and once you learn to be equally cheeky some great bargains can be had. I would reccomend visiting the fixed price shop before buying anything so you have an idea about prices before you begin haggling. Whilst in Sousse we also had a pirate trip - great value for money and visited the sunday market, which like the medina, was a haven for bargains and although absolutely heaving great fun and did make you feel like you were truly in a foreign country.

P.E.K we saw by night and simply frequented some of the cafe bars around the marina. the shopping complex was quite big and had some beatiful ornate fountains but as we didn't visit the beach etc feel i can't comment much further.

As to the blonde women myth that appears to be a concern for many on the website, yes it is true, i was hissed at (a wolfwhistle apparently) stared at and had many 'compliments' however this was initially flattering but when young boys of 13 shouted 'sexy lady' it did become rather tiresome, however i did feel that as my tan deepened the interest diminished much to my husbands relief and my disapointment :lol:

Another factor is the weak alchohol, yes beer, wine and spirits is widely available but despite consuming large quantities none of our party felt remotely tipsy, so party animals beware this is not a place for rave ups!(i've just read that part back and realised that i sound like i need the A.A!)

On a whole i would love to return to Tunisia, it is truly a country of contrasts passing through the rural area was like stepping back in time in comparison the the cosmipolitan towns and cities, the historic sites are amazing especially el jem's amphitheatre, the tunisians are warm friendly people the food was good and cheap (we didn't get the 'trots' once) and there really is something for everyone. my advice is if you like a drink buy some on the way in at duty free and don't buy anything from the many gift shops until you have checked the prices in the fixed price shop, keep an open mind, bring a high factor suncream the sun is much harsher than you think - i'm still peeling as i speak! and most importantly enjoy yourself!
Great post kleptouk many thanks :tup
Hi tHere ,, a family of 6 (2 adults 4 kids..15 13 11 n 9 ) staying in tHis Hotel in marcH .. any info on tHis will be appreaciated :d
thnxs for the link ...
Hi, my friend stayed at this hotel over the New Year and said it was excellent. She had problems with it at all, the food was nice and the staff were helpful and friendly. She said the location was good too being more or less in Sousse. She would go there again.
yes this is our first time at tunisia .. really looking forward to it ...what are the best things to do and see when we r out there??.baring in mind we have 4 boys aged 15 13 11 and 9
we plan to spend most our time in the complex ... is there plenty to do in the complex .. we r going all inclusive .. also what r the meals like
We stayed here over new year. Weather was awful!!!!! But the hotel was good. Food good. Grounds spacious in process of improving the one swimming pool. All inclusive bar open till 1 in the morning. Entertainment not brilliant but would probably be better suited for families with children or younger guests.
You can you use the other hotels in the complex(not all inclusive though)
A walk into the centre of sousse is about 40 minute walk A taxi about 2 pound.
Hi, :D we are a family of 2 adults and one child (4 years). We are taking a week out in this hotel on 9 March. I have read lots of good things and also some bad about this hotel. Does anyone know if the work to the pool is finished yet? Also is it really as bad as some people seem to find it? This is my first really foreign holiday and I am already getting nervous.... :roll:
Hi all

I'm new to this site, but can anyone tell me a liitle of what to expect about the entertainment at the Tour Khalef in October. We are due there during the half term 05 & have heard various comments to worry me.
The team are very young, kid's disco starts late etc. What time does the adult entertainment finish at this hotel?

Any comments to re -assure us would put my mind at ease. Has the pool
been completely re furbished?
Has anyone ever stayed at the hotel Tour Kalef and bought any gold from the guy who sells it by the pool..?? Just like to know if any of his gold is real...??
Hi, we are a party of 8 8) going to the Tour Khalef hotel in March. Could anyone tell me what you get for the all-inclusive package. The brochure isn't any help, a few of you discuss that you cannot get free drinks in various bars and that you have to sit seperately to the others. :evil: Can anyone help with this :?: Can anyone tell us if the sun might shine :?: Thanks Jo, Neil and Hollie.
anyone been here is it nice?
is the beach close by?
prices and meals?
if half board what meals are inlcuded and does it include any drinks
whats weather like in last week of june?
sahara trips worth it? can you do them in a jeep rather than via camels as its cruel

thanks for your help
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.