Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Unfortunately, you might have booked your holiday with the wrong company. The Bulgaria experts are Balkan Holidays, who have Bulgarian staff who can give advice regarding Bulgarian customs.

I don't know if the retaking of marriage vows is a Bulgarian practice, and where would you envisage taking them? In an Orthodox Church, or a registry office?

Bulgaria retains a lot of its former communist era bureaucracy, so heaven knows what sort of paperwork would be involved, all in Bulgarian of course.

You really do need the advice of a clued up Bulgarian.

Peter
Thanks Peter - guess I will have to try to get hold of the hotel direct if that is possible - probably cheaper than calling the tour operater here!
Hi Annana,
If you go to the high street travel agents you can pick up a brochure for balkan holidays. I use them when I go over to bulgaria, and there reps are very good. As peter said customs are very different over there, but the contact number for balkan holidays will be in the brochure. Good luck in your search.

cornish lad :)
Hi Cornish Lad

Thank you so much for your help - will get on to it!! :cheers
I think you will find that Balkan Holidays are not going to be very helpful when original poster has booked with another operator.

Patka
Obviously the holiday is more important to you than any ceremony regarding marriage vows because you booked that before knowing anything about whether it is possible. Not being an expert, but I guess that the marriage vow renewal doesnt have any formal legal significance, but is just a nice thing to do. (I notice in your post that you didnt indicate what branch of religion you married under, or whether it was a civil ceremony). Bulgaria will also have a different outlook towards things than we do. Even if you could translate what it was you wanted done, they might just look at you blankly. One avenue would be to see if there is any presence on the www. of the Anglican church in Bulgaria. I would be surprised if there wasnt something in Sofia or Bourgas. This assumes that you were married C of E, but if not just do the same for your religion. If you had a civil ceremony, then the first thing to find out is if their are such things as civil marriage ceremonies in Bulgaria. There must be practising vicars/ministers or whatever in Bulgaria who would be willing to informally attend a private ceremony. The key is finding them.
Also, read Lonely Planet and Rough Guide as they will certainly have contact info for various churches in Bulgaria.
To save a lot of hassle, get the ceremony done in the Uk and have a honeymoon renewal!!!!!
ananna, you could try the following web site for the Baptist Church in Varna, Pastor speaks very good english, click on union jack in corner, then Contact, you then get a page in English in which to ask your question. http://www.church-varna.com

cheers Tonyt
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.