Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Hi John

We went to Kalives in June. You can read my review in the Resort Review section. We were only there a week so didn't get chance to try many tavernas. Zorba's in the village square is quite a rough and ready looking little place but the food is authentic and it's run by a friendly family. I think a lot of the food is home made by the little old greek lady. She comes to clear tables and chats away in Greek. The chicken pie is delicious and fills the plate. Kleftico is good too. They do not sell wine but the nearest thing they have is bottles of raki or beer. It's quite cheap by Greek standards. We went twice.

We also went twice to Mistrali, one of the three tavernas on the main beach. The food and service were good and friendly.
Provlita was popular behind the main street, overlooking the sea. Both these places were full of Brits and slightly pricier.

There are some tavernas up to the west side of the village but we never got up there, also in the surrounding villages. It only takes a few minutes to get to Almyrida by car but this is an ex-pat enclave.

Have a great time, wish we were going back.

Yiamass, Jean
Thanks for the recommendations. Its great to go to those that others have tried and found to be good. :tup
Cheers
John
Hi again John

In my previous post I mentioned we had been twice to Taverna Mistrali, in fact it was Medusa, sorry. I think Mistrali is just a bar, it's next door but one to Mistrali but we never went in.

Yiamass, Jean
Another very good taverna is called (I think) Kritiko. It is half way between the town square & the little bridge beside the Hotel. It is has a nice little garden area at the back.

a picture of the outside it is here (on the lett hand side) w.flickr.com/photos/hkavakka/196214620/
Thanks for the recommendation. I will now have a look at the pic.
Johngw :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.