Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Have a look at INVALID URL a great site,and gives reviews on loads of hotels.
The hotel you have booked seems to be in the middle of a football stadium as you say,but also by shopping arcades,although it says that the main shopping centre is 10 mins away,anyway have a look for yourself,
Have a good trip
suzy :lol:
Peace Palace is in a good location, great views over the river of Pudong's skyscraper skyline. Plenty of very expensive restaurants and bars within easy walking distance and the main shopping strip is nearby. The trip through the tunnel under the river is a really freaky, psychadelic experience, definitely worth doing once for the novelty value. Other times just take the subway.

Not stayed there but I lived in Shanghai for a few months in early 2003. Providing you're staying near a subway station getting around to the shopping / tourist sites is very easy, cheap and quick. Only thing is that names of subway stations arent - or werent back then - written in English on ticket machines :-)
Thanks Suziuno, I had looked on there. It doesn't have the Regal East Asia which I've requested, but the reviews for the Peace hotel seem to be OK on there but yet on http://www.asiarooms (where I've also looked) the user reviews are less favourable, with one user saying the area around the Peace is is deserted on a night and there's nothing to do. And on trip advisor the user really slated the Peace Palace.
No wonder I'm confused!

Macfarang, your words about the Peace Palace reassure me somewhat. I know that Shanghai is a vibrant city and we don't want to be stuck on the outskirts, which is what the Regal East Asia seems to be. We want to be able to walk to the bars etc. on a night and not have to rely on taxi's, which is sounds like we'll have to do if we stay at the Asia.
As well as the Peace & East Asia the tour op has given us a choice of the Shanghai hotel on Wulumuqi Road, which I can only find one review for and the Ocean (which had very poor reviews) - not sure if you know either of those from your time there?
Puddleduck - dont worry about being on the outskirts. The hotel is in the city centre. Imagine you were in London and your hotel was three underground stops from Oxford Steet or Picadilly. You wouldnt equate that with being on the outskirts of the city centre.

I remembered the footie stadium from my time in Shanghai ( I was going to see the Stones there but the concert was cancelled due to SARS) Heng Shan Rd is nearby and this is a very nice shopping, eating street. Lots of smaller upscale shops, arty bars etc and a very nice stroll. It's less than an hour walk to the Bund from the hotel. You're also very near the best outdoor market for knock-off clothes, DVDs, watches, etc etc- cant remember the name now but it's got pretty much everything that you could wish for.
Ah right! OK, that makes a bit more sense. Panic over. Thanks very much for your help.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.