Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Marmaris and Icmeler are just over 1 hour transfer with a private transfer.

Diane :)
olu deniz is about 38 miles and is nearer than marmaris and in my opinion a lot nicer,it is about 50 mins in a private taxi now new tunnel is open, side is a long way and you would be better off going to antalya airport. if you want somewhere fairly turkish, very pretty peaceful with a lovely beach, then try akyaka this is about 50 mins away and is on route to marmaris but 20 miles nearer to the airport, we went there this summer loved it and are going back next summer for 3 weeks. just depends on what sort of thing you are looking for in a holiday as marmaris is a very lively resort with lots of bars, restaurants etc, and is around 1 hour 10/20 mins away approx, whereas olu deniz is quieter less hassle etc. good luck on where ever you decide
Calis Beach is 1 hour away from Dalaman.
Laurence
Shirley H

Just thought as you mentioned side I ought to point out that Dalaman isn't actually the airport for side. It's Antalya for side so you can cross that one off your list for the present. :wink:

Olu Deniz is probably your best bet as has been mentioned. Also beleive Sarigerme (not sure I have spelt it right) is really near to Dalaman, 20 mins transfer. But as I understand it there are only 2 or 3 hotels there so its not really a resort as such. Just a few hotels and a village.
Thanks for all your replies. I think I'll research Olu Denis some more, I think that's the resort with the beautiful picture postcard beach isn't it? However, we do like to eat out every evening so I'm wondering are there ample restaurants and bars to keep us happy for a fortnight? I also forgot to mention Bodrum airport as being accesible to us. As we've been to Gumbet already is there anywhere else within around an hour and a half transfer time? As I mentioned we like a nice beach and enough restaurants and bars to keep us amused (though nothing too british). Thanks again.
There are plenty of restaurants in Olu Deniz. Enough for 14 nights, some are a bit Englishy but there is a mix. There is also a lot more in Hisoranu which is about a ten min cab ride up the mountain. You will be spoilt for choice. :D
Shirley did you visit Bitez or Turgutries when you were in Gumbet? Bitez is just over the hill from Gumbet, so easily within 2 hours from Bodrum airport, and Turgutries is also easily within your preferred transfer time.
Both resorts are definitely less "British" than Gumbet, have nicer beaches, and still plenty restaurants and bars to keep you going for a fortnight. You can also easily get to Bodrum itself from both resorts.

Elaine
Thanks both. I will definitely look in to your suggestions. Cheers!
Shirley, have a look at this link..

http://www.calis-beach.co.uk/

I know both Thomson and First Choice have some excellent properties in this area and it's quite close to Fethiye for shopping and sightseeing. I've booked to go here for next year after recomendations from friends.
Laurence
Hi Shirley...............Dalyan is Brilliant, and only 25 minutes from Dalaman Airport.
Have a look at http://www.villalimon.com
August, our transfer to Icmeler, took us 50 mins. including a brief stop over at Marmaris. We were hanging onto the edge of our seats and didn't know wheather to complain or just close our eyes and be glad we were getting there quick!!
shirley its best to pay alittle bit more over your airfare and do a private transfer as tour operators can take up to 2 1/2 hours to get you to your hotel/apartment you can't really go wrong with olu
I agree, Oludeniz would be your best bet. I've done the journey from Dalaman Airport to Fethiye countless times, and it's only ever taken about 50 minutes (by car) - and that was before the tunnel was opened, so I'd imagine that should knock-off about 15 minutes?

Oludeniz takes around 15 minutes from central Fethiye, so all in all, a taxi transfer shouldn't take much more than one hour.

Maybe I'm the only one but I actually like the drive from the Airport - the views are amazing! The scenery's absolutely breathtaking, and there's a place you can park just before Gocek where you can take in the view of the sea whilst up high in the mountains.

Oludeniz itself is really pretty - and the drive down there from Hisoranu is spectacular again. If you do go there, during your stay you should get off the dolmus halfway down the road from His to Olu and there's a restaurant perched on the cliff (can't recall the name but can find out for you later) and the view of Oludeniz, it's beach, the pine trees and the sea are out of this world. Especially with all the purple flowers clinging to the mountainside.

I've never met one person who didn't fall inlove with Oludeniz.

:ghug
I'll second Dalyan, plenty of restaurants, rock tombs, turtles, long beach, lake, mountains, caunos ruins, beautiful scenery.

Check out http://www.dalyanholiday.co.uk for more information.
:) I agree with several of you that Oludeniz has everything, the beach, restaurants, and even the choice of the blue lagoon if kids want to swim without the waves. Transfer under 1 hour now, and the "scary bit" is replaced by the tunnel, I always stay in Hisaronu, only 10 mins from Oludeniz, but breezy and fresh when Oludeniz is very hot.
Try http://www.pinara.co.uk
Hi shirley h, Like Trueblue has mentioned, Hisaronu is just a short dolmus ride up the hill from Olu Deniz, a good base for your holiday. We stayed at St Nicholas Park Hotel which looks out over Olu Deniz Bay. Should you decide to come here, don't forget to go to Fethiye Market, it is superb. There is also Kalkan with a huge selection of Restaurants. Here, I can firmly recommend Hotel Nur(see report). Our transfer to this resort was only an hour by mini bus but if you have walking difficulties, then this resort is not for you. As has been mentioned above, Icmeler has a unique appeal to many, for us, it is our favourite resort. There is plenty to keep you occupied for the fortnight but should there not be enough Bars for you, then Marmaris is not far away by dolmus.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.