Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Welcome im sure one of the others will post soon. I cant help its 4 years since i was last there and dont go back till March this year.
We are returning to go for our second visit & are also staying at the Nazri Resort over Easter ..... can't wait.

I have been reading all the posts on here as well as trip advisor & have noted the following recommendations (which I will be trying out on my arrival in 8 weeks time) : -

Popular Beach Shacks in Baga
Shining Star (Monday Night they have a BBQ)
Bobby's
T.G.I.
Xaviers
Oceanic
Big Banana
Squeeze (near river)
Saritas

Recommended Restaurants
East meets West (very near Nazri-Resort) "¦ lovely surroundings.

Salt and Pepper in Baga - the food is good and very reasonable

Star Restaurant - Baga

Jamies - a new place in Baga - at the top end of Baga, keep left at the "Y" junction - where the road splits to the bridge (as if you are heading to Brittos), it is on the left, large "garden" open air restaurant, they serve all the usual i.e. steaks/fish/pasta/Goan.

Silver Sands (used to be a beach shack)

Jambalaya (Candolim "¦ just past Newtons Supermarket) - right next door to Mango Grove, and opposite Bending Bamboo "¦ must go Sunday Nights to see Bluesmania perform (that's if he's still there in April as he was going to go on some travels).

Victors on Whispering Palms Road in Candolim? (requires advanced booking but excellent reviews).

Moonlight restaurant in Candolim at the end of the beach road and turn right and follow the road around for about 5 mins. The food is cheap and straight forward & fresh. The couple that own it, Santana and Theresa, are lovely, not intrusive but nice and chatty if that's what you want and they cook to order

Rising Waves .. in Candolim. Opposite Fisherman's Cove

Mango Tree- Candolim

Tequila - Calangute

Capricorn - Calangute

Maggies (Calangute) - comes up top for value for money and the service there is excellent, not to mention of course the complimentary honeybee when you ask for the bill. We dinned here on our last visit & enjoyed it.

Delhi Darbar (Panjim) "¦. Might be a bit English oriented but good reviews on service.
Shere Classic (Panjim)

Tibet Kitchen in Calangute

Cecelias (Candolim) - best prawn chilly fry in goa

Souza Lobo's - Calangute

Kebabs + Curries - Calangute

Starlight Arpora - used mainly by the locals "¦. Very good for curry & very cheap "¦ Just ask a Taxi driver

All Spice - Arpora area

Nicks Place "¦. Near the Marinha Dourada

Honey Bar "¦. Near the Marinha Dourada

Chinese & Thai
Kim Faa's (Calangute)
Oriental - Excellent Thai attached to Mira Hotel (15 minutes walk to Calangute from Baga)
Mai Thai - Candolim
Thai Mai - The food is meant to be great and I highly recommended.

Hope this helps.
Hi,all our "must restaurants" are on stepsahead`s list, i really can`t wait to try victors,i have never come across a restaurant with such fantastic reviews,the same goes for Bluesmania who performs at various restaurants inculuding pocoloco in arpora and happy days in Baga,my 2 favourites are kimmfaa in baga and allspice in Arpora.
Happy eating
Hi all... :cheers
can anyone give me directions to Maggies in Calangute...
Many thanks.... :tup
Maggie's is towards the beach end of Holiday Street in Calangute. All the taxi drivers know this street so shouldn't be a problem finding it.
Thanks stepsahead for your reply....i know where "Holiday Street" in Calangute is...(been going for 11 years)...Where is Maggies situated ?...What is it near or next too ???
Noggin its about halfway down on your right hand side, its quite a big place and the lads who own the place (Lucas & Simon)are good guys. Can honestly say I have never had a bad meal there.......Keith
  • Edited by KJF 2010-02-15 10:56:41
One that rarely gets a mention is Bernards Place on CSM road, service and food were superb on my 2 visits last March, great when you want something without spice for a change.
Anyone else tried the new "Sublime" in Saligao yet ?
I thought it was brilliant and a better dining experience than Souymens Kitchen. Both in the bit more expensive bracket.
Personally I don't rate Honey in Arpora.Tried it several times and won't again. Spice Oven around the corner is much better, and the place in between All Spice ( now known as Spice) and Starlight ( again in Arpora) is good too.
A bit surprised that Starlight in Apora gets a mention, thought that this was my secret!

very rough and ready but really good and if price is an issue its got to be one of the best.
a bit like the local chinese where all the family come out to say goodnight.

but don't expect "silver service" :D
We got the floorshow thrown in too at Starlight this year. Ran out of the kitchen area, down the steps , through the tables and out on to the road.
My reaction was to shout :yikes :yikes :yikes "don't look" !
The year before we almost trod on a live snake outside there too but that wasn't Starlight's fault !
IMO it's the best Indian food around as well as the cheapest, it was better this year than last but spicier(hot) than it used to be. I noticed a party of three girls on the table next to us ordered one main meal to share. I think the total bill was R70 !!
Must admit though having been ill earlier in the holiday we tended to eat more "continental" than ever before this year.
Does anybody know if Adolf managed to open the new Lazydays, and if he did has anyone tried it yet...... :think ....Keith
Thank you all so much for the information.

Travelling 28th Feb, anyone else out at this time? :que :cheers :cheers :cheers

Carl& Nicola
We fly out on 27th Feb staying at the Ronil nr Nazri, so interested in everyones restaurant reviews for this season too, more please....
:cheers
If I was staying in either of those two hotels the Oriental Thai in the Mira hotel Calangute would be a must.Superb !
I agree with Dave, a big thumbs up for the Thai Oriental :cheers
Hi keith,we have friends in baga at the moment they have been into lazy days for a meal and said it was lovely,we will give it a try next week,it`s still on c.s.m road.hopefully get to see you this time !!
Hi Keith....
regarding Maggies....
What is it near ?.... is it between the roundabout and the "steps" :que
Sorry for been a pest but i cannot picture it...
Is it as far down as the "Public Bar"...?
Anywhere near the "Capricorn"...?
:cheers
Noggin,
You are on the wrong road.
Maggies is on holiday St. more or less opposite the Kamat holiday Homes, the same st. as Hotel Goan Heritage, Le Jardin, Emmas Kitchen.
Ii you come from calangute past st Anthonys Church (in middle of road) The Kamat is on your left (Bonnies Inn) ,it is the next right turn, head down towards the beach and it is on the right hand side.
scorpion.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.