Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Ian, one of the delights of Portugal is that the Portuguese love their kids and everyone elses. So the answer to your question is they will all welcome your family through all age ranges. At the risk of being a bit contraversial my feeling having spoken to a number of Portuguese people is that they did not understand why the McCann children were not with them be it running around or asleep in chairs while the adults were eating.
Wouldn't usually contribute to this subject as I feel quality means different things to different people. However, I feel I must make an exeption and mention two restaurants I had the pleasure of eating at in Albufeira old town.

The first is "O MANJAR" , (just up from the taxi rank), the quality of the food and the level of service was excellent. And, those of you who place high importance of the size of portions, don't have a starter you'll never eat your main.

The other one is the mexican "MI SOMBRERO". One of the best mexicans I've eaten, ( and I've eaten a few!). Service can be slow at busy times, but it's worth the wait.

Enjoy!
Have recently returned from Albufeira would recommend senor frogs Lizas does excellent pasta but pizzas a bit soggy when we complained about the pizza we were not chaged for it. The first day we were there we went to portifinos on the strip while waiting for our food we saw a rat running over the tables needless to say we did not hang about.
Hello! Does anyone know if there are any restaurants near Sesmarias?

Thanks
Anyone going to Monegordo do go to Ed & Willem's Bar Holandes iit is on the main promanade at Avenida Infante Dom HenriqueNr 3-D 8900-412 Monte Gordo.
Great food Very clean, super friendly staff. We cannot speak highly enough of this.
we found more new restuarants this year.They are all in old town. Alfredos was excellent.Up from that the one cant remember its name but you sit outside amongst vines with an old boat there.Steaks are cooked on a BBQ.excellent too
O Veleiro in the old town, out of the way a bit but by far the best restaurant we ate in all last week and the many times we have been to Portugal, very cheap as well, quality traditional food, well worth a try.
I will second O Veleiro as good value - the wine was exactly half the price we paid for an identical bottle elsewhere. So we had two.
All in Alvor -

Restaurante O Alcaide - this is down a small side street and is set in an old winery. The portions were huge, very tasty and great value.
Vagabondo - excellent service, great menu. The fish was wonderful.
Galeria Restaurante - this was really special, it's quite small and seems to be run by just the two people (one serving, one cooking). We could see into the kitchen from where we were sitting and it was a joy to watch the food being cooked. The quality and taste was excellent.
Por do Sol - we booked ahead on advice and were so pleased we had as even in mid-October it was full. The service here was the best we had all holiday and as for the food - well, my prawn cassolet was to die for. Well recommended.
Villa 45 - we tried the fish cataplanas here and it was fabulous. That was all we had between us, with some bread to dip in and it was a feast.
Smilers in Carvoeiro. It's run by a couple who emigrated there from England years ago.
Came across a buffet style eat in or take away on our last visit to Albufeira called Verde Minho,translated Green Menu.The only difference is your meal is weighed at the counter and is priced.Deserts and drinks are a set price.My wife and I had a pork chop, roast spicy potatoes and rice.a slice of desert each and a half litre of house wine.The cost 15 euros.
Praia Da Luz,
4 of us went for a meal last nigh to LimeTree restaurant in Praia da Luz and we were all absolutely delighted with our meal. The restaurant looks just OK from outside but it is very nice inside. The staff were lovely and the food was to die for and it was very well presented. Highly Recommended.
My friend is flying out on Friday to Albufeira and was wondering whats the best bar to watch the Rangers v Celtic game on Sunday..Shes a Rangers fan. Thanks
Any good child friendly restaurants in Praia da Rocha?
All the restaurants are child friendly, the portugese love children. :tup
Santa Eulalia Albufeira.

For English Food - Annabelle's.
Owned and run by the lovely Nicky and her mum, they offer great service, great selection
and great prices - all freshly cooked when you order.
(The home made steak pie is delicious! )
Annabelles is also very popular so, bear both these factors in mind as you may have to wait.
But it will be well worth it!
(The prices of the drinks are really good too!)

They also do a tourist menu, although with this you don't get the full selection from the main men.
The tourist menu costs 10 euros and is 3 course and includes a drink.
(Really good value for anyone on a budget.)

For Chinese Food - Happy House
Fabulously tasty chinese meals - such a great choice, and great service in lovely surroundings.
You have the choice whether to sit inside (ample room so great for big parties of people) or outside
were you can *people watch* too!
They also do a *All you can eat* chinese buffet for 8.95 euros (6.30pm-11pm) which we loved.
The Happy House also offers a takeaway service.

For English Breakfast - Eddys Bar
(Inbetween Lara's Place - chippy and Rock LIne Bar, next to Underneath the Oura Praia Hotel,
opposite Quinta Pedra Dos Bicos apartments)
We don't normally eat a big breakfast but our son's put us onto this - they had one every day!
Prices start at 3.50 euros for a good sized breakfast (Which was ample for my husband and I although
our sons had some of the many various larger breakfasts on offer - I don't know where they put it!)

Portuguese Food

To be honest, we went in loads of Portuguese restaurants and never had a bad meals - so try them all!
Maldo, not sure if you have been to Praia yet, but if not, we got back last night and found these to be lovely places to eat:

Sitting Bull - very family friendly, selling steaks, fajitas, ribs (most main courses around 10 euros) and they do a kids menu including icecream for 6 euro.

Hollywood - big steaks, burgers, kebabs, sweets to die for! Again, around 10 euros per main course. Burgers looked massive and were only about 6 euros for a big meal.

Big Reds Rib Shack - the best ribs I have tasted in a long time - 12 euro for a big rack, with chips, salad etc and a choice of 8 sauces to smother them in. Fantastic starters too - the deep fried brie was to die for!!

We took a walk to the marina (10 mins from the strip) and had a lovely meal in a very posh restaurant overlooking the sea. We thought it was going to be expensive, but was pleasantly surprised - it didn't cost any more than we had been paying elsewhere all week.
we are due to go to Abufuria next month for a special birthday - 11 of us, adults and kids - can anyone recommend a nice restauraunt in the montechoro/top of the strip area that would be suitable for us

thanks

:wave:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.