Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Nice one Chilly.

I always like to try new places
Hi Chilly, the first night we went to

Bending Bamboo I had Tarka Dall with two roti's and it was brilliant, you had prawns wrapped in Bacon and they where delicious but they came in batter with a dip which you did not expect, I can't remember what o/h had think it was a bowl of soup with a toasted sandwich but we had only been in Goa a matter of hours and was just snacking however the food was very very good and not expensive must go back for a proper meal :tup

Stonehouse we all had king fish, two in a mushroom sauce with prawns, rice and veg and one grilled in garlic with salad and a jacket, lovely food well presented and big portions of king fish for 300 Rps, must admit I had forgotten about the deserts as we are not meant to be eating them so not mentioning how good they were :rofl

Horizon Grill this place has all ways been good and gets busy, Chilly and I had the fish with loads of prawns in a light wine & fresh tomatoes sauce served with mash or rice at 300 Rps and the oh/ chicken stuffed with spinage and cheese with veg and mash at 280 Rps, yummy we will be back :tup

We had tandoori chicken and curries at a local place and we stopped for for lunch at the Cricketers bar in Calangute because I fancied a burger, the burger and salad was ok but the o/h's jacket potato took forever to come and was cold, not even room temperature also at 380 Rps for the food we will not be going back

Tonight we are going to Lazyday in Baga to meet friends and Nicks place in Arpora opens tomorrow so intend to be there, just so many good place to try again.

what to do ! what to do !
Our first meal on Saturday night was at Mango Grove. Lovely tandoori fish and the chips were great (don't have them often so a bit of a treat).

Sunday night at Roy's, always good and we had room for a pudding - fried ice cream, Give it a try.

Tonight we went to Wok & Roll in Sinquerim as we have a car for a couple of days. The food was amazing and the service excellent. Our first visit but won't be our last.
tonight we ate at St Anthonys tea garden, by St Anthonys chapel ..calangute... am old favourite but as good as ever!! had seafood pancake 110 rps great value and extreemly tasty!!

Funnily enough Katie we pondered on wok and roll too :) glad to hear both it and Roys were worth a visit!!
Nicks PLace Arpora, .... as ever excellent, we went to the opening night tonight and it was great, the food the toilets the welcome ............ oh and the Pina Colado's :D and the garlic mushroom starters were delicious :tup
PLANTAIN LEAF in Calangute.

Went there on my first night in Goa in 2005 and had a thali for Rs90. Back again five years later and inflation had put the cost up to Rs110. This 'rip-off' price was for a 15-item meal ;-)
Come across a few people who have been disappointed, but if you are vegetarian, or would like to sample the best of Indian vegetarian food, this place deserves its' reputation as Goa's best vegetarian restaurant (IMHO)

(Personal taste of course!)
yes it is Hullsmoggy ;)

Nic n Nats, ... Tambudki Waddo, Arpora

Another fab meal tonight at Nic n Nats (named after the owner Sebastio's twin girls :) in Arpora, absolutely recommend this place, i had the starter of chicken liver pate with salad and crispy bread cracking at a mere 180 rps and brought half home for lunch tomorrow!!

a main of Grilled white Basa served with paprika sauce, roast potatoes and herb rice 280 rps ... it was to die for, plus a coffee/honeybee ....

and the desserts are lush too... home made lemon cheesecake with ice cream... yummy i didnt have this but pinched some of my friends!!!

All in all a great place with lovely ambience and great service plus Seb gave us complimentary baileys to round off :tup dont miss this one !!!

ended the night with a few honeybees at bubbles....
Never got to Lazydays as Adolf was closed for a couple of days but as Chilly says we all had a brilliant evening and food at [i]Nicks Place[/i] which is one of our favourite haunts and Bob does a great quiz night that I enjoy even though we don't normally do very well

[i]Nic n Nats[/i] is an up market dining experience at every day prices and has a lot of new things on the menu for this season, Chilly, I trust you will enjoy your packed portion of pate for lunch, :tup and hope it will taste even better when I tell you it was only 120 Rps, :rofl 'eragain's smoked salmon canapés were 150 Rps and my mushrooms al forno 130 Rps and we all had the fish but I was tempted to go for my favourite, a chicken breast stuffed with spinach and homemade cheese, just fabulous food

Bubbles is a great place to stop off for a drink anytime but we like to call in for a night cap on the way home and a couple of large Honey Bees at 20 Rps each finishes off the evening nicely
Most of the places you mention i've not been to or heard of apart from Nick's place where we went with Gemma/Ian it's a lovely place keep these new places coming,very interesting reading..
will do Sleep-r-us, ;) yes a lot are new if not just this yr over the last couple years and others just havent been mentioned before or lately maybe.... whatever its a great thread if everyone adds to it with their experiences from this year as it helps all of us decide where to go for a good night out especially people only here for a couple of weeks or so :tup

and its a great excuse to keep on eating out every night!!!! :D
chilly
Great thread chilli , by the time I get there I will know all the best places to eat this season. Rumour was that Bubbles was moving??
Chilli hope us HT readers arent going to get the blame for your spreading waistline
:rofl Sleep -r- us you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! expanding daily!!!!!!

yes bubbles has moved fro calangute to upstairs bar where spitfire /gym used to be.
There was a guy on TA who said she was looking to move again as she had no customers in the monsoon and she was putting up her price up because of it however the place was very busy when we went there the other night and the prices were the same as last season

I have never seen Bubbles looking better, she has lost wieght and was in great form also walking a lot better
Hi all don't post much, more of a lurker :D Would it be possible to give a rough location to the names of the restaurants that have been mentioned. Have been to Baga, Candolim 5 times and going again in a few weeks but stopping at the Mira in Calangute, however, I'm a complete dumbo with names!! For instance where's Bubbles, as I have no idea where the Spitfire is!!

Hope this makes some sense - cheers all :tup
Hi Sarahb27
come out the mira turn left then right at the roundabout walk to the top of the main street turn left at the temple its about 5 to 10 mins walk bubbles is on your left upstairs its a nice roomy bar very cheap.
Danny
Wow!! 1st time in Wok and Roll tonight awesome!!!

real oriental cuisine at its best, well looked after by the many staff too, free appetiser tit bits and numerous complimentary cups of lemon grass tea throughout ... a lovely place, great ambience, we ordered a selection of dishes and shared, starter i had the crab and asparagus soup it was to die for!!! mains a mix as i said shared between us, tried the fried ice cream in caramel sauce as recommended by Katiep for dessert...all excellent ... my bill 710 rps (no alcohol) a little more expensive perhaps than some places but a special night out if thats what you are looking for ... based in Sinquerim just past Sweet Chilli
:tup
Sounds good Chilly have heard a few good reports about here definatetly one for the list cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.