Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
We have eaten a few times in the Mango Grove this time, normally it's our local just for a drink. The food is surprisingly good and they have the best chips.

Kim Faa last night, as good as ever.
Hi KatieP.....
welldone...keep up the hard work... :cheers
No, it's the one in Candolim. For some reason Fisherman's Cove over the road is always packed and the Mango Grove don't do as much business for food. It's only this season that we have started eating in there but have enjoyed every meal.

Had a night off last night and we ate leftover pasta at home. Got to start running down supplies before we fly back next Tuesday.

We had Bailey's cake bought from Delfino's supermarket for pudding after lunch at home today. Highly recommended.
It was Roy's again last night. Food was good but service very slow. Half of Roy's staff are still stuck in Darjeeling and the ones he does have are new so he's the only one who knows what's going on. He looked very stressed last night.

The Darjeeling gang are due early next week so normal service should hopefully be resumed.

Chilly - we found a place that sells mop buckets. :)
the mango in Benaulim does not serve food, probably the closest food outlet to the Mango is Jacks corner. best wishes Fay. p.p. Danny
Chilly - we found a place that sells mop buckets.

Oh thats brill KatieP :D what a to do !! glad you located one, was good to see you both last night.. i agree re mango grove it has good food and menu...

As KatieP says the service was slow at Roys but the food was very good, was my 1st time so i didnt have any comparison, so i am very pleased to hear that the slowness was only due to his staff being delayed, he seems a really nice guy and they were very attentive towards us, and helpful. I will be trying the tempura prawns next time ;) they looked smashing!!!
Chilly
Pleased to know it was staff problems, I thought it was because he believed we was from TA :rofl :rofl :rofl
Hi KatieP... :cheers
Where is Roys....i think we have been but cannot remember..
Thanks... :cheers
Lazydays CSM road Baga, finally got there and the food and service was as good as always but he has put up his prices after three years or more by about 50 Rps, still good value for money but for some reason he has gone over board on the steak and put the price up by 130 Rps, the fillet steak is now 370 Rps but it is good steak and have not checked the price against other places

Chippy/ Log Cabin Calangute, as it was about 1 pm just had to call in for breakfast, we all had the full veg version, tea or coffee, toast, 2 eggs, fried bread, beans, tomato, mushrooms and fried potatoes at 180 Rps up by 20 Rps this season but still excellent value, you can have the sausage and bacon version for 200Rps but you don't get the beans, mushrooms

Sri Vagator is a veg and sea food restaurant owed by Richard Pereira who is an award winning chef in Europe but has now returned to his home land, I had a spicy dhal and chapattis, the O/H the veg lasagne, both excellent , we had intend to stay in tonight as we had eaten lunch time but had a phone call from friends saying they was waiting to order their food so to get there quick also there was live music on, the music was a guy singing along to his guitar and he created a very pleasant atmosphere, so not a late night, more of an early morning yet again
noggin wrote:
Hi KatieP... :cheers
Where is Roys....i think we have been but cannot remember..
Thanks... :cheers

A couple of years ago Roy's used to be down the Sinquerim end of Candolim near Top Nosh but last season he relocated to Candolim beach road, not far from the Carvery on the opposite side.

He is open for most of the year.

We went to Panjim this afternoon and had lunch at Moti Mahal near Bombay Bazaar, we had mainly kebab starters and they were really good. Lovely parathas too.
We have heard that Shelley has sold the Sea Shell Inn and that it is going to be an Italian restaurant. It won't be open before we go home on Tuesday though.
:cheers Hi all
have all you girls stopped eating....waiting for more recommendations.....please :tongue
well we had the first meet tonight at the carvery and everybody really enjoyed their meals ;) was good to catch up on everything and everyone
Chilly
We have been quite boring lately and for various reasons have used the local's dives or been back to restaurants we have already named, the only new one was the Mermaid near Whispering Palms, sadly none of us really enjoyed what we had ordered and wished we had gone next door to the Bistro and to rub the salt in, we went to the Stonehouse afterwards for the music and a Honey Bee or three, where the couple at the next table told us that they had been to the Bistro three times in two weeks because it was so good

Jacket spuds with ham and cheese and a few sherbet’s at home tonight :que
Sorry folks, we are back in the UK until April. Beef stir fry & noodles at home tonight.

I can't remember if I recommended Niyaaz in Panjim. They don't serve alcohol but the food is really good. Biriyani is their speciality. It is near Salida de Sol hotel, near the Apple shop.
Went to Decades on Monday, a brand new bar/restaurant run by Brits on the Calangute to Anjuna road just before snake pass, they had a live band playing, "famous five" who were a whole lot better than they were last season. The place has only been open a couple of weeks and has a limited menu at the moment but was told that if they had it we could get it any style or way we wanted, just to ask, we went for the Chinese off the menu, prawns fried rice, ginger chicken and a Manchurian chicken with a couple of roti's, it was very good also inexpensive, so were the drinks, will be back :tup

Chapora is not a place many venture to in the evening or even the day time come to that :rofl but we was recommended to try the restaurant upstairs and the end of the village, don’t even know its name but thought we would give it a go and was pleasantly surprised, I had Goan roasted beef in gravy with veg and mashed potatoes and ‘eragain had the pork chops (well two of them as i pinched the third one) with veg and roast potatoes with a few beers and a couple of g&t’s cost 600 rps with a tip :tup
It is called Oppa's and it is above Partricks Sunrise restaurant
  • Edited by meagain 2013-01-13 06:19:12
Chef Soumyen's a fine dining place so more expensive but still good value for top quality food also you get bread sticks, a roll and butter included. I had the fillet steak (this is about the only place in Goa I have my steak rare) with all the trimming at 495, followed by caramelised banana in rum and honey sauce with ice cream 175, ‘eragain tucked into fish fillet on a bed of spinach 375 followed by fresh strawberry's and ice cream 195, a good place to consider for a special evening when the budget allows as the drinks can soon add up but a place of this quality would cost a fortune in the UK

Capricorn in Calangute is a restaurant we have used for years and it is still does good food at a reasonable prices. the range of food is vast on the main menu however they also have separate Italian menu and pizza’s, 'eragain had two chicken breasts in a white sauce with creamed spinach and mashed potatoes for 250 and I had tagliatelle topped with bolognaise minced beef and cheese baked in a dish for 220

Eclipse on the Baga road is a bar than does food but again they have a good range available at reasonable prices, I normally go English but I am told the Indian is also very good. ‘ergain had the steak and chips that came with two eggs, tomatoes and mushrooms as it was on offer at 200 instead of 260 however I fancied fish and chips at 250, friends had the mixed grill at 290 and steak pie (think it was 220) all the food was excellent but you do need to be very hungry to take on the mixed grill

Bobs Inns
Calangute but nearly Candolim used it a few times at the end of last season and this time we went as Noel was playing there (Noels partner Jimmy is not playing this season) a good evening, good food however we did think the portions a bit small for the money, will go back but still so many of our favourite places to try again
  • Edited by meagain 2012-12-13 07:28:06
thanks for the info meagain we do call in the eclipse fancy the mixed grill now after your report
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.