Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi Keith i read your report on nicks place along from MD, we saw it when we were in Goa in December but our taxi driver said it was mainly for Goans and said it was ok for food. Might give it a try end of March when we are back. Good idea to have a drink there before heading out.
Anybody tried Shivers? wondered what kind of food is offered there? and where is it please ?
Split i'm glad the menu has been updated and more has been added i really enjoyed our meal and the service was spot on.
we had a meal in nicks wasn`t bad,but a nice place to stop and have a drink on the way out ,nick was the barman at c.s.m. makes a.great pina colada, and the toilets are the cleanest i`ve seen
Hiya Shirley.. SHIVERS is opposite Kingfisher Villa,Candolim down towards to the Taj end..Its down a little dirt track and to the left.Its set in a lovely garden they have quite a lot of different fish including 3 shark,they also have a aviary with budgies.The boss is named Edward.
They do a carvery but we did'nt try it only ever went for breakfast the prices were good i have a list of prices somewhere i'll try and find it out .
Mike Richardson wrote:
WHO ON EARTH LIKES ANDRE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andre is wonderful!! Everyone loves him! Even with his sore throat!! :rofl
After reading and hearing about Rising Waves we visited last week. What a disappointment. Fish in batter was 4 fish fingers in thick dark brown batter (not far off burned) and another one of us had fish pie which was very small with a few vegetables.
A few nights later we all went to Tony's in Candolim just before Whispering Palms, opposite the road to Panjim and what a difference.
Lovely big piece of fish in light batter, thick chips and peas. The place was full and people were waiting to come in as others left.
Another place we visited was Over the Flames, again a disappointment, as someone else said, over priced and over rated, better places for good steak. Domingoes in Baga for a start.
Waterproof i'm sorry your meal was a let down but i can only speak as i find our meal was very good but it was "08" last time we were there...Ive been in tony's and had a lovely meal in there in fact we used there alot for our breakfasts...
Me too! Had to book 2 nights ahead and the place was packed. Best meal i had all holiday! (Except at the Carvery, of course!!) :whoops
Sorry you were disappointed waterproof! :que
Gotta say waterproof, if all you expect from a restuarant in India is Fish in batter, chips and peas you'll be dissappointed more often than not!!!! Same as I am with Indian food back home ;)
After trawling many pages, (a victim of its own success this thread) what restaurant would anyone recommend for Chinese food excluding Kim Faa?
Hi Mids if you are in Candolim try Just Chinese we found the food to be very good
its just off the main road near Super Tailor.also The Rice Bowl near St Antony,s church.
ann :cheers
I would also recommend the Rice Bowl, its really good but beware monster size portions :cheers
Aarond..I'll second Just Chinese we always go there have a good meal and a chatter to Denise he's a lovely guy.
Another vote for Just Chinese, Always had a great meal there :tup
goonerfan/ I don't eat fish and chips in England or anywhere else but both nights we were with our Indian/English friends and on the nights they chose where we ate they said they wanted fish and chips. (This was almost 2 weeks apart).
Just went on recommendations we had read.
Some thoughts on the restaurants we used during our recent month in Candolim. There were usually at least four of us, sometimes as many as nine with several usually eating vegetarian. The others ate mainly fish, only occasionally chicken or steak. Opinions are exactly that - restaurants have good and bad nights so apologies to those we hit on a bad night !

Flambe - Very disappointing. Went twice, lastly on Valentine's Day and the wheels were coming off. Cold food, taking ages to be served and some people finished, others still waiting. This place was really good last year so something's gone wrong. Drove past one night at 9pm ish and there were only about 8 people dining. Unthinkable last year.

Rising Waves - Again went twice. First time the fish eaters were ecstatic. Second time, very disappointing but the manager responded well and didn't charge for one of the meals we complained about. I think it depends on which fish he gets from the market because the same dish on different nights was completely different.

Harmony - OK but unexceptional except for the garlic bread, which was superb

Horizon View - We were the only diners on the night we were there and expected the worst. Actually, the food was OK but unexceptional.

Plantain Leaf I love this place! It's a cafe more than a restaurant but the food is unfailingly good, the Super Thali is wonderful and it's as cheap as chips.

Mayonna Creek - You go here for the Sunday night music rather than the food, which was OK. It's a strange place where any musicians visiting Goa play to a packed house. If you're a people watcher, go here - it's like the bar in Star Wars! Amongst the usual holidaymakers are sixties throwbacks, strange people smoking strange substances, ladies of the night, men with ponytails and women with crew cuts.

Carvery - The venue for HT meets. The food is good value, especially with the HTer's 10% discount.

Florentines (Saligao) - A traditional village Indian restaurant with a strong local trade. I wasn't overimpressed. The food was OK but as is sometimes the case in less touristy places the food doesn't always arrive in the right order at the right time. Interesting but not gourmet!

Bean Me Up (Anjuna) - Another place I love. The salads are superb - try the Californian. The spice and fruit drinks are better than any I've tasted and the soups are always special. Not the cheapest but worth it! Great place to chill out.

Viva Goa - Shame that for "political" reasons he's lost the outside seating but the place remains a source of good, inexpensive food.

Soumyen's Kitchen - The restaurant isn't exactly plush or special in a decorative sense but the food is very special. Excellent.

Navtara (Panjim and Mapusa) - Pure vegetarian restaurant with extensive menu. Mixed views on the Panjim one but Mapusa was great.

Moonlight (near Pretty Petals) - Great food in small, intimate and friendly restaurant tucked away in the alley behind Rising Waves.

Travel Bar - A little bit pricey but great ambience and the food was very good. Fish eaters once again in ecstacy.

We also had a couple of Veg Extravaganza pizzas from Dominoes Pizza which were delicious and delivered to the door. Not cheap but great when you don't feel like going out.
thanks Roma, good clear list, always good to hear others experiences
chilly ;)
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.