Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Full English but the usual streaky bacon and wúrst type sausage for brekky is no problem, but the fresh crepes with chocolate mousse were the grandkids favourites. The family room my son, wife and 2 kids had was a large double right at the top end of the complex and we were just a couple of rooms away with the same size for 2 of us. (It's a hop over the wall for a stroll into Koutoulafarie instead of up and down the hill) A gentle stroll through the olive groves down into the main block of the hotel.
The entertainment isn't much cop, but what do you expect. It was an international hotel with a good mix of guests. I got on well with all the staff, including the one considered a miserable sod by most. Great hotel. My wife said, "We ARE coming back here." That was a first.

All Inclusive - yes. Weight gained 1.5 stone, beer the usual A/I stuff.

The All Inclusive had 2 or 3 grades, and we travelled with Hellenic and were on the Gold band. with that you got some cocktails.
Some of the Belgian and Germans were on the lower grade.

It fair made me smile, it did.

:lol: :lol:
For an idea of what to expect at the Belvedere, here are a couple of snaps.

http://usera.imagecave.com/Parky/BELVEDERE3.JPG

http://usera.imagecave.com/Parky/BELVEDERE5.JPG

http://usera.imagecave.com/Parky/BELVEDEREENTRANCE.JPG

The main bar is at the far end

http://usera.imagecave.com/Parky/BELVEDERENIGHTSTITCH.jpg

The evening entertainment for most guests is at the bar area on the right.

The German tour company use the next level down.
Hi boybowler - not seen you here for a while :wink:

A friend told me that the supermarket costs can be quite high in Crete, but nowhere as expensive as Cyprus - so a wise choice to go all inclusive this year.

Great post by PARKY45, looks to be a lovely hotel and the food looks to be very well presented, not that it'll be sitting on boybowlers plate that long !! :P

Pity that I've booked up Tenerife this summer or I could've joined you !!

Remember to take the troosers with the elastic waistband you might need them towards the end of the second week :!:
Hi PARKY45,

Booked to go to the Royal Belverdere in June with Hellenic Voyages, was just wondering if everthing was ok when you went with them, any problems because read a few bad things about them in the past, none recently though. Luckily not read anything with regards to the belverdere, but was still wondering how the holiday was for you? :)
We go on 8th May so will be reporting back when we come back.

fwh
The only problem I found with the Belvedere was that the pools weren't on a filtration set up and a bit of clag /sun lotion tended to gather at the round pool end of the triple childrens pool. They were treated with chlorine and I never heard anything about ear / throat infections.

A slight hitch was having to wind our way up the path way or steps after the Raki.

Enjoy.
Not had time to do a review yet but got back Tuesday night. First there are some changes - the hotel seems to be downgrading and we were on Silver not Gold. Complained to the rep and also emailed Manos at Hellenic. Some of the Germans and Dutch were also complaining (they had been there before) and it seems the hotel may be playing daft b*****s.

Food is not a patch on last year. Some of the people we met had been last year and echoed Parky45 comments for last year. Hottest thing on my plate at breakfast was the toast and the evening meals whilst excellent selection was spoiled by some being hot whilst others were cold.

I have spoken with Manor this am - he is not happy as he contacted the agents in reply to my email and they did not contact me.

It did start to get better as not only the English but Germans and Dutch were also complaining.

The hill could be a problem but after a couple of days we got used to it.

fwh
Hi fwh,

Did you have a good holiday overall? Was the weather nice?

When you say hill a problem,how long does it take to get up and would it be a problem for two fairly fit early twenty year olds.

Also even though you say some of the food was hot & cold is it edable and last question (sorry to be a pain)what are the local alcholic drinks like?

At the end of the day is it worth the money (well bargain) we have paid for the holiday?

Thanks for your help :D
This hill is not that bad for twenty somethings, there is a mini bus service sponsored by "Starbeach"

There is rain at the moment but it is much needed. But it will improve very soon.

You can drink the local Mythos beer, or the normal european brews. Same with the spirits. If you are offered the local raki, do not refuse it try it.

There is a supermarket at the bottom of the hill you can always stock up in there where the wine starts very cheaply.
I am 66 and the only time it was a drag (no pun intended) was when we had been out and were feeling knackered anyway.

The bus runs every 2 hours.

As for the food the only time I ate salad was when I wanted salad. I have already had a sensible discussion with Manos about it and he is contacting them to raise the matter. It was starting to improve. Wife was happy so that is what matters.

The local drinks are fine. Gin &Orange was my tipple and just a case of getting the right proportions of Gin - Wife was on Rum & Coke or Brandy & Coke and she enjoyed hers.

Not a lot of bars local except Star Beach which was expensive compared to the bars around. As an example down in Hersonosis a large beer varied from 1.40 to 3.00 euros

Yes it was a good holiday. We were in Rethymnon last year and of the two we enjoyed Rethymnon more.

Got a nice tan. Would post a photo of the white bits but it is against the rules on HT. Rained last Friday am and most of the day Sat when I got wet. It did not stop us going out. Rest of the time it was hot.

Any holiday is a personal thing for what you like and dislike. Some friends went to Rethymnon at the same time. They had a great holiday and say they would go again.

fwh
Hi,

Thanks for that. I hope that it will be a good holiday when we go. Never been to be Crete before so really looking forward to it. Glad you had a nice time! Just a good job I like salad and lots of rum in my coke :lol:

jodie
hi.....f.w.h.........we are going to this hotel on the 5th june dont mind the walk up hill but hope the food is o.k..........
regards.............john-doe..............by the way who did you fly with and from what airport.please................
Monarch from Manchester.

Do make sure you go through the back gate and turn right for the walk to the villages. Really worth it.

If you walk along the shore towards Stallis then call at Zorbas Bar for a drink. Very friendly and reasonable.

We spent the later part of the evening at the bottom bar by the kids pool. Give our regards to Lucas. He has just found out he is going to be a Dad. Rally nice guy.

Enjoy

fwh
hi.again....f.w.h.......many thanks for your info will do as you suggest.
regards.......john-doe........ :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.