Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Vacations to go do both RCI and NCL. We have sailed on RCI Voyager of Seas, and also NCL Jade. They are comparable, but different, and I would assess RCI as having an edge over NCL. The entertainment with RCI is certainly, in my view, better than NCL.

There have been some fantastic NCL Jade deals around, and we would not hesitate to use them over RCI in the event of a price differential. From what I have seen looking out over the past year NCL pricing would have been lower than RCI for the deals available.
Thanks Hamrag

Would you say that NCL ships are as Luxurious as RCI? also is the dining as nice?
We where in the Magic Flute each night on V.O.Seas and really liked the dining service RCI provide.

We would not hesitate to go back on RCI ships the only reason we are thinking NCL is that when we where in port the Gem and the Jade where in also and they looked really impressive.

The other factor is we really would like a balcony cabin having been in an inside x2 now, and NCL are a lot cheaper than RCI.
I dont want to book though just because the price is better if for instance the entertainment isn't as good and especially the dining.
We don't mind if its in line with RCI but don't want to be disappointed...would you say that as VOS is an older ship in the RCI fleat it is in line with the newer NCL ships or it is still more superior to them even give its age?

Thanks Hamrag..really appreciate your opinion as it was you and Windjammer that put me on to my last 2 Cruises and I was not disappointed, also do you know of any offers with either company for June 2010?...I know its a long way of but they are all on sale and as we are going to Florida next year and have a family event we can't go until the following year..not sure if it is cheaper to book now or later?

Cheers

Liz.
We like both for different reasons.

Currently we are predominately NCL and we usualy find we can pick cruises where we know people(passengers and crew) that helps improve the experience. This will happen if you start to repeat ship/line a lot. on Price NCL is currenly winning except for these late deals where RCI and celebrity are edging ahead.

Entertainment can be hit/miss on both lines but the more you cruise the more the offerings become repetative anyway. We find on NCL we focus on dining and fit stuff round that unless there is a must see act, with a group 2-3 hours is fine, not so easy with trad dining.

With NCL I think you have to do the alternative dining to get the best out of what the ships have to offer so that ups the budget a bit $100pp more than covers it on a 10-12 day trip and has still been cheaper than a RCI equivilent.

You have to adapt to the freesyle dining so if you like traditional, same table, same wait staff, then that needs to be thought through carefully.

We like the size of the Jewel class NCL ships but one thing missing is a bar/area that tends to have good lounge entertainers, RCI do seem to this much better and the bigger RCI ships the ice rinks add an extra dimension to the offerings. Also no multi story atrium on the NCL ships.

What NCL does have is a much better set of perks once you get into suites, and there are some really good deals over the winter for the Villas, which is a completely different experience, on the Jade, we have shifted our normal late in the year cruise(some where warm) to a courtyard villa, med Jan to take advantage of these offers for the same money we would have spent anyway(inside/outside) on another cruise.

I would steer clear of early bookings these days unless there is a must have need or a great deal, there are going to be bargains galore late bookings. Look out for a deal in an AE or above on NCL. For the BIG ship experience RCI still have the edge with the voyager class.

One other thing is that ships can change a lot over a few months so if a ship goes down hill after you book you are stuck, late booking you can keep an eye on the upto date reviews.

If you are looking at 2010 why not pick one of the short cruises next year to give NCL a try and see if you like the ships.
Hi :wave: Wndjammer,nice to hear from you.

Thanks for the great reply, and also for past help in booking Voyager of the seas.

I think the mini cruise is an excellent idea, if you see any offers please let me know...I havent seen any "Windjammer has deals" recently?

Liz.
Both Hamrag and Windjammer have assessed RCCL and NCL fairly and accurately. It comes down to preference. We enjoyed the Freestyle dining options that NCL offered and would put them ahead on that alone. Both will give you an excellent cruising experience but the option of dining when and where you want is a big plus for us.

Bob
Liz

"Windjammer does deals" was renamed "Latest cruise deals" as everyone is posting their latest finds.

luci :wave
liz mc wrote:
Thanks Hamrag

Would you say that NCL ships are as Luxurious as RCI? also is the dining as nice?
We where in the Magic Flute each night on V.O.Seas and really liked the dining service RCI provide.

We would not hesitate to go back on RCI ships the only reason we are thinking NCL is that when we where in port the Gem and the Jade where in also and they looked really impressive.

The other factor is we really would like a balcony cabin having been in an inside x2 now, and NCL are a lot cheaper than RCI.
I dont want to book though just because the price is better if for instance the entertainment isn't as good and especially the dining.
We don't mind if its in line with RCI but don't want to be disappointed...would you say that as VOS is an older ship in the RCI fleat it is in line with the newer NCL ships or it is still more superior to them even give its age?

Thanks Hamrag..really appreciate your opinion as it was you and Windjammer that put me on to my last 2 Cruises and I was not disappointed, also do you know of any offers with either company for June 2010?...I know its a long way of but they are all on sale and as we are going to Florida next year and have a family event we can't go until the following year..not sure if it is cheaper to book now or later?

Cheers

Liz.

OK, responses in order of questions asked!

NCL ships are not as luxurious as RCI, and the standard dining is not as nice....you can pay a cover charge for other dining options, typically $20pp each time, probably bring it up to the standard RCI experience but the service overall is still not as good as RCI. For the buffet restaurant I would say that NCL is comparable to RCI.

We did not feel that the NCL Jade, as a much newer ship, offered more than the older Voyager of Seas. Especially if there are children in the party there is no comparison between RCI (the Wow factor)and NCL.

Given that you are looking at June, there will always be good offers nearer the time because the schools are still in and it is "off-season". One of the things we love in the Med is the June and September/early October temperatures which tend to be mid to high 20's C and not the mid and high 30's C commonly experienced in July/August. My advice would be don't book ahead.
Thanks Hamrag/Windjammer and bob

I will hang on and think I will stay with RCI maybe just try a different ship, not that there is anything wrong with VOS but maybe it would be nice to try a different one in the fleet.

If you do happen to see any offers for that time of year please let me know.

And Lucy I think the thread "Windjammer does deals" should be brought back as he started the bargains! An you have to admit he is good at it! :que

Cheers

Liz
Have you looked at Independence of the Seas from Southampton?
There is nothing to compare with the Freedom class ships.... :)
What is the difference between Freedom Class and Voyager?
Which is the newest ship prior to the Independance?

Thanks for all your replies, I will stick to RCI and possibly book from Southampton. I wish they went from Liverpool Port.
The Fred Olson line o fom there and I think the Thompson Celebration is late in 2009.
Southampton is a good way for us to drive.

Regards
Liz.
I think it is a good idea to keep the current deals thread more people find it and post.

Would be nice if every post MUST have a deal rather than the waffle we are getting

For the RCI ships try here

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/findacruise/ships/home.do

Have look through the different descriptions and deck plans.

I keep a set of deck plans for each ship from old brochures, and update if a better plan comes out in a new brochure.

I think the trick with the long drives is to plan an overnight stop(0-3hrs from the port) on the way down make it part of the holiday rather than an early start and long drive.

A travelodge will be £20(booked in advance) or there are loads of nice little villages for a BB's just off the motorways

If on a weekend there are often great deals at the business type hotels, eg holiday inn Bracknell(£55) or the De Vere range(£30-£40) here are the current De-Veve offers(sign up for the emails)
http://www.deverevenues.co.uk/offers/leisure-offers/birthday
http://www.deverevenues.co.uk/offers/leisure-offers/halfterm-3000

Loads of these are within 3 hours of Southampton one very close.
http://www.deverevenues.co.uk/find-venue/new-place.html
LizMc- the Freedom Class is larger, has the Flowrider, the H2O zone, Cantilevered whirlpools, in addition to all the features on Voyager class ships. It's the largest ship ever home-ported in Europe.
If you are looking to fly out to the Med. then the Radiance Class ships are worth considering. Brilliance of the Seas will remain in Europe throughout the Winter and so has some deals to the Canaries where you will have a better chance of good weather. The Radiance Ships are probably the most beautiful but if are looking for more action then the Freedom Class would fit the bill.
My advice for next year would also be to wait. The thing to do is also if you make a booking and with RCI and Celebrity will let that reduced price be applied to the existing booking.

Sue
Just had a look a Freedom class ships and think they sound just what we are ooking for..do they have singers on inthe british themed pub?

We often went in the pub after the shows when we was on VOS and the singer was really good..the pub was called the pig and whistle.
We have decided to go on the cruise in the September now and have a week somewhere in the May...not sure where yet.

We want to do 14 nights on a freedom clas ship but we dont want to keep repeating the same ports...Rome, Livorno and Sicily.
Greece wouldbe nice but anywhee as long as its hot.

We wont book anything yet..any further help I appreciate.

Regards

Liz.
Yes, all the Pubs have a singer/guitarist entertaining every night. It's a great place to stop in.
D'ont be afraid to try NCL we are going on our 5th cruise with them in Nov and we have had 10 on RCI both are good but we prefer RCI and Brilliance is definitely the favourite.

I like the freestyle of NCL and not having to bring dressy things and no monkey suit either but would never go without them on RCI or Celebrity

It is swings and roundabouts we have chosen Galaxy next week because of the itinerary around the Greek islands

But just to add QM2 is to us the "TOPS" :grin
Thanks again for replies

Is Brilliance a freedom class ship? think it is but have looked at that many ships over the last few days ha!

Which of the freedom class ships have you been on (thats to all who who have replied)?

They do look really good, I thought VOS was good and never realised she was one of the oldest in the fleet, can't imagine what the newer ships are like!

I would love to go on the Oasis of the seas but not in the Carribean, too long a flight.
Brilliance is the Radiance Class Ships with Radiance then Brilliance Jewel and another I can't recall the name of.
Freedom Class are the biggest built and much larger than the Voyager Class. If it is all action you want and have a young family there is probably then the Freedom class.
If you are looking for a ship which is full of brightness and light with so much glass and a truly beautiful elegance then Brilliance wins hands down in my estimation. But I am a "Granny" so not able to climb walls fly round the skating rink or do that thing in the pool it shows on TV.

Prindy for me no one can beat the QM2 for she has it ALL but not a good choice for young families.

Sue
Radiance class are smaller (90,000 tons) than the Voyager class and do not have a main Promenade.
Radiance, Brilliance, Serenade and Jewel are the Radiance Class ships.

Freedom class ships- Freedom, Liberty, Independence are the latest and largest.
I have sailed on the Freedom. She does alternating E/W Caribbean cruises.
What do they look like? WOW factor galore!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.