Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Cant you put your card in the hole in the wall at the bank there ? Or are you wanting to use Visa card ?
I think Chef Soumyens takes cards. :tup
Hi Kevin, so sorry to hear your situation... you are welcome to have a meal or two with us if you are stuck for cash pm me if so and we will help any way we can ... another option people might want to take is to get cash wired over by a friend or relative back home through western union, i have done this before and the money arrives within the hour...there are numerous WU places dotted about Calangute, Candolim and rest of Goa...it can be done easily over the phone or internet from the UK using a card
Chilly ;)
On the news yesterday it was stated by an independent expert, that if you have a return ticket and are not on a cheap no frills airline the airline has a duty of care to look after you,not sure if this will help you or not,but it may be worth telling them this.Hope you get sorted,all the best,T.
You're probably trying to make your money go further in this situation but it's probably the more expensive restaurants that take cards, I do know that East Meets West does. There seems to be a lot of confusion about tour operators obligations. UK airspace is reopening tonight, a number of BA flights have already landed at Heathrow and Gatwick. Hope you get home soon.
I understood the airline only had a responsibility to supply food and hotels etc was if it was in the EU.
My daughter and family have been stranded in Singapore for 5 days and the last 3 have been left to their own devices!
The airline has a duty of care to provide accommodation and meals if it is an EU based operator or if the flight originated in the EU under regulation EC261/2004..

If it is a non-EU operator departing outwith the EU then they don't have to provide anything except book you on an alternative flight.

Kevin, who is your travel insurance with? Keep all receipts as you may be able to claim on that.

luci :wave
The airline has a duty of care to provide accommodation and meals if it is an EU based operator or if the flight originated in the EU under regulation EC261/2004..

Our good friend and publicity shy chairman and CEO of Ryanair Mr Michael O,Leary seems determined to take on the might of the EU.I for one hope they crush him.

Papa

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20100421/tuk-ryanair-refuse-to-compensate-travell-dba1618.html
Thanks everyone, especially Chilly for her kind offer (nice to meet you at the carvery)
Looks like our position has improved and we may be going home very soon, however this has all been very reassuring information!
Will follow up our legal position when we get home.
Mr O,Leary has now backed down.

Papa
I would suspect Mr O'Leary has found a way of claiming back anything he may have to pay out. Also...he did make the mistake of letting Easyjet get the moral high ground for a day.....off topic..sorry I wish O'Leary would take a leaf out of his fellow countryman's book..as I suspect without Willie Walsh's involvement, we would still be wondering when the next flight might operate.
Kevin..hopefully you are sorted, but just in case(and for anyone else) there is a guy opposite Alexandra's in Beach Road Candolim, who seems to be able to convert a UK credit card transaction to cash. I have never used him, nor do I know what rates are involved, but, if anyone is desperate it might be worth looking.
:tup i was on monarch :rofl they would pay one night only just got back friday had an extra week was skint as had me card scammed some how for £1228 second week there spent five weeks there in all .if it wasnt for family and friends i would of bin sleeping on beach for a week even they got sick mof me asking .iwill never go with jewel in the crown again or monarch :rofl the way they treat you i could not print just so glad to be home. :wave:
Hi ovey, can you tell us more on the situation on why they only paid for one night? Were you flight only or package??

This would be interesting to those of us who travel to goa or where ever with monarch/cosmos.

There was an executive on tv the other day from thomas cook stating that their clients were all being looked after and would not be out of pocket for any expenses occurred.

I know who will get my booking next season if monarch are abandoning their customers.
:tup well i was on a package with jewel in the crown flying with monarch for 4 weeks at colonia de braganza .i was due to fly home the day it happaned didnt tell me till a few hours before i was due at airport so reception never passed on message saying they bin looking for me all day i was in my room being sick so they never even bothererd looking for me .the manger of the hotel never came to see anyone who was stuck out there which i had an extra week. well people with thomas cook or thomsons looked after there costomers very well 5 star treatment down south goa even people on flight only got free stay in nice hotels doesnt make sence. i will never fly with monarch again i no i shoundnt anyway with whaT everyone says about them but flown with them 2 times before to goa with no problems i will not be using monarch or jewel again i would say thomas cook and thomsons will get extra bookings next year .and jewel rep wanted there customers to move to tio de carmino but never new how much it would cost after the free first night so i stayad were i was and moved in room next door with a friend i meet while there for 300rs a night they did try 800rs but it says in there brocher 200rs a night with extra person in your room and 100rs for breakfast piece of toast and coffee :rofl so i soon pointed that out sorry about my spelling not to good at that :tup
Hi
Can you tell us exactly what assistance Jewel-in-the-Crown offered you/gave you.
You've mentioned what customers of Thomson/Thomas Cook were given but I'm not sure from your post how you were treated by the company you booked your package with.

Was the rep helpful?
How often did the rep see you?
You say the J-i-t-C rep:
wanted there customers to move to tio de carmino but never new how much it would cost after the free first night so i stayad were i was and moved in room next door with a friend i meet while there for 300rs a night they did try 800rs but it says in there brocher 200rs a night with extra person in your room and 100rs for breakfast piece of toast and coffee so i soon pointed that out sorry about my spelling not to good at that

Are you saying the first night at Tio de Carmino was free but you were expected to pay after that?

You also mention that:
the manger of the hotel never came to see anyone who was stuck out there

I wouldn't have thought that it was the responsibility of a hotel manager to check on stranded guests - certainly anyone on a package should have been looked after by the Tour Operator rep - in your case that was Jewel-in-the-Crown.

Do you know what happened to the other people who had booked with J-i-t-C?
I would also be interested in how Jewel in the Crown treated its clients, because we can only book our favourite hotel through them. If they treated their clients badly, we will have to think about staying elsewhere through a difference tour operator.
We are home!!!!

first I have to say that 'Jewel in the Crown' rep Gavin did his very best to pass on what limited information was forthcoming to him from his own company and Monarch. He always appeared at our hotel (Beira Mar) at 11:30 every morning, even if it was to say 'I have no news for you'.

Our hotel rooms were kept on at JITC's expense although we understand that guests in better hotels were tranfered to cheaper ones and expected to pay their own way if they wanted to stay where they were. No help was provided for food and soft drinks although we understand that the other tour companies did give a nightly allowance that varied considerably depending on who you were with.

Finally got away at about 20:00 on Saturday night (should have gone the previous Sunday). Those delayed for 1 day got away 1 hour earlier than us on a long haul aircraft and flew direct - We returned on a mid-haul aircraft via Dubai - Am I bitter?

Big thanks to 'Bobby' at Avvys Place who said that if the worst came to the worst he would feed us and keep me supplied with Kingfisher Strong and we could pay him from England - God bless the man!

Might do some sort of trip report at a later date but just cream-crackered at the moment.

East meets West did not take a Credit Card from our dining companions, although Jill suspects this was laziness.
Welcome home kevin, look forward to reading your report when you have recovered. :) Gel
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.