Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Thanks for the feedback folks, it's appreciated.
It would appear that Ryanair have cottoned onto the trick of making 2 bookings to save money, one for each leg of the journey, rather than booking a return.

Those will remember that prices were the same in £ as €, so booking a, say, Tenerife to UK leg separately you could make a saving as it would be in €.

Factoring in the exchange rate it would end up lower than the £ amount - if you understand what I mean.

However, now for example, a Tenerife to UK flight (obviously in €'s) takes into account the exchange rate so it is significantly higher than the £ rate, no more savings this way, at the moment its just as cost effective to do the out/return in the one booking.
I have just booked a Ryanair flight and see you can now set up an 'account' with Ryanair to help speed the booking process.

You provide your static details ie name, address, payment card details etc and when you come to book your flight you logon to your account using your email/password that you have previously setup - haven't done that bit yet but will be booking another flight in a few days.

The option to logon / setup the account appears in the top right of the screen once you have the results of a flight search.
Did our first 'seat allocation' flight a couple of days ago and the onboard feeling was clearly different from previous non allocation flights - there was a calmer, less stressful feel - a welcome change.

There were no issues with overhead luggage space, I presume they did what they say they will do and that's redirect hand luggage to the hold prior to people boarding for the 91st'ish the last passenger - our plane was full and I mean full !

We were one of the first on the plane so couldn't see if they did redirect hand luggage and no we didn't pay for priority boarding or have premium seats ! - but did pay the €5 each to pre-select our seats.
Ryanair have changed their website, according to their email it has new features & is supposedly easier to find and book low fares:-

http://www.ryanair.com
It is nice to know that finally Ryan Air are waking up to the fact that customers come first.
I can imagine they are not doing so well now that people tend to book more AI holidays to save pennies.
Just having a read about the new Ryanair changes and it was looking good ,so many good changes until I came to the carry on luggage and it now says it will only take 90 on board and the rest will go in the hold. Thats me out ,there is no way my carry on bag is going in the hold. I carry all my valuables, cameras, binoculars etc, medicine , passport in my bag. The only way around it is book seating and that only works if you are in the first 90. At least Easyjet have a size that will go in the cabin
I think there has been a huge improvement in their website, and also very happy you can take a handbag now instead of having to stuff everything in to your hand luggage.

However, i flew with them last October, and as we were queuing to get on the plane, some of the staff were walking up and down the queue asking people if they were prepared to put their hand luggage in the hold(for free of course).

i only saw two passengers take them up on their offer!
Will they organise whose bags go into the hold on after first 90 bags, at check in basis?

Shrimper, you are allowed a handbag could you get your valuables in there?
Glynis, no it would need to be a big hand bag to fit my cameras in. I think it is a shame as they have sorted alot of things out, including there web site and then muck it up with this 90 bag restriction.
As far as I know it's only full size bags that will need to be checked. At least that's what it seems to read like.

From RYR website

"Due to cabin space limitations only 90 cabin bags (55 x 40 x 20 cms) can be carried in the cabin, any remainder will be carried free of charge in the aircraft hold."

http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions/regulations-cabinbaggage/
I think you are correct Sunaddict, a friend who used RA last week said that they were still allowing cabin bags that would fit under a seat to be taken onboard even after larger bags were being placed in the hold.
So would they let you put your IPad etc into a carrier bag if they say your hand luggage has to go into hold :que Sorry but I'm confused here as it's reading to me as though once 90 HL sized bags are on the flight deck the rest go into the hold. So you'd need to take your snacks etc with you?
On another site someone who travels pretty regularly with RA said that he now packs a small carrier bag with the things he needs for the flight inside his main cabin baggage, so if his bag is put in the hold he takes the carrier bag out of the case and takes it on board with him.
Just take a carrier bag or similar inside your main hand luggage and then you can decant anything you need to, should they want to check your bag. Nothing to stop you taking something that will go under the seat infront. You're entitled to take a second bag anyway 35 x 20 x 20cm.
I have a bag that is well within the RA limits and has traveled within the cabin for 25 years that has padded pockets I put all my photo equipment in so it stays safe, I am not going to start stuffing it into a carrier bag now. Over the years we have been told everything we do not want damaged or to go missing ie valuables and medicines take in our cabin bag, now it is a case of some can and some can't.Sorry Ryanair I think you have that very wrong. Reduce the size of bag until everybody can take one on, it may even get more people to take hold luggage and increase their revenue
  • Edited by shrimper 2014-04-13 11:23:11
So a bag within a bag in case they take your bag to put it in the hold :rofl Most of the stuff I pack in hand luggage I actually use on the flight so they'd be putting a nearly empty case in the hold. ;)
Maybe if they let you take a bag on if you pay to choose a seat , I know you go first but have no idea how big the take up is of this service, so still no guarantee your bag will be with you on board. I have no need to get at the bag once it is in the locker
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.