Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
I think 'rat run' is a good phrase to describe this hotel. It is too big and too busy. It is not as bad as some have painted but it is not somewhere to go for a relaxing time. It's size means that customer service goes down the toilet. It's hardly surprising when the staff are treated as they are.

If you want to stay in Skanes, try the hotel next next door, the Skanes el Hana. I've stayed in both and there is no comparison. For a few pounds more the Skanes gives you somewhere where the staff actually want you to enjoy your holiday and you don't feel as though you have gone to a 1950's holiday camp.
Quite right Magster, the Sahara Beach is just as you describe.

Peter
:roll: :? Help help help! I am so worried about visiting the Sahara beach hotel, i have been reading reviews in several forums and i'm starting to hope that there is just a lot of overly fussy people out there! me, my hubby and 6yr old son are due to fly out at the end of June for two weeks all inclusive, i am so in need of a completely chilled holiday, neither of us are big drinkers so the bar situation isn't a problem, and i'm fine with tipping (hell what's the worst that could happen, you spend an exta £20 to get what you need a bit quicker!) but what bothers me the most is the constant mention of rats and flies!!! i understand that flies go hand in hand with very hot countries, but to have them in your food!!! and RATS around the pool, please someone reasure me. I lived in Malta for a year and i loved every min of it, so under developed countries i'm fine with. but my hubby cannot stand begging or being pestered, he's also alittle worried about me being oggled, (admittedly i'm not!!) my son just want the pool and kids to play with. any feed back would be great, especailly if recently visited. xx
Hi amandajgee.
i was there 2 years ago and never saw one rat.we went in the august.,and we had a great time.there is lots of flys,and i hate flys.but to be honest you get used to them.
i can only speak from when i was there .i found the place clean .and the rooms one of the best i have ever stayed in.staff were very friendly,and the pools were great. you can make your holiday as relaxed as you want or as busy as you want.i also have read comments about the Sahara beach. but you will find good and bad on every hotel.we read reports and were worried sick.but when getting there it was one of the best holidays we have ever had.go in to monistur at night there is a fair ground there great for the kids ,and found the locals very friendly.
i didn't think much of souse though.
we are not big drinkers also .but we enjoyed the hot drinks that you get from the Sahara beach.
but for some reason i did get drunk a couple of times :lol: .
if you need to know any thing please just ask.

hellooooooooooooooooooo from the northeast,
Cheers for that. i do have one other question, although we are going all inclusive, i was wondering how expensive it can get as i've heard the restaurant in the water (shaped as a boat) is a better place to eat, with less flies and no smoke, but apparently you have to pay for it, we're taking an extra £700 ish for spends would you say this is ample for two weeks?

Thanks hun xx
less flies and no smoke

never had a problem with smoke at the Sahara restaurant.but i would think you would get flys on the boat like any were else in Tunisia.i may be wrong but you would think the flys wouldn't be scared of a boat :lol: :lol: :lol: we took aprox £1000 ,and we went all inclusive.and came back with a lot of change.if you go to do the excursions use the locals at the hotel there much cheaper than your reps.
we found the meals spot on in the restaurant,and the service great.
Ive never been on the boat .cant help you there.

hellooooooooooooooo from the northeast :)
Oh thanks, it puts your mind at rest when you come across someone who's already experienced it and is approachable, rather than just read about their experience. As you can't take Dinar into the country or bring it home, is it best to go with travellers cheques or credit card? and can you change money at the airport when landed?

A xx
Hi Amanda.we took travellers cheques.The Sahara beach has its own bank. :)
Hi Amanda . Just read your in Pie-Land . im a close neighbour of yours in Leigh. :lol:
Weve been going to Sousse for years now and havent seen any rats . to be truthful the streets are cleaner than here .You do get lots of flies but like its been said they are a nusiance at first but you seem to get used to them as the days go by ,.
The sun does get very hot in summer and your right to take a high factor for your children, and try to keep them out of the sun if possible in the middle of the day.... My son was only very young when we first took him to sousse and come mid day he was usually tired anyway . so we used to put him to bed for a few hours then he was refreshed for the evening entertainment .

But i wouldnt worry to much about what could go wrong . Tunisia is a beautiful country and the people are friendly and helpful .

Hope you have a wonderful time and come back and tell us all how much you enjoyed your holiday ....
And if all else fails . you could take some pies with u to make u feel at home :wink: :D
:P hi, I went to the Sahara Beach for my honeymoon and loved the place(2 years ago now)! There were no rats and no smoke at all in the dining room. I have been there three times and not once did i see any thing of this sort!
Just have a wonderful holiday....oh and try the crepes by the pool they are amazing!!
thanks for the rplies we too are going here, but going in July. We have been concerned about the negative reports recently.
This has cheered me up no end and so excited we are looking forward to our hols.
Question for those that have been??????
Is bottled water readily available and is it part of AI. and if so which water is best?????

Thanks
Well helloooo neighbour!

Lets be honest now, as we know from experience, it doesn't take a lot to make a place cleaner than Wigan! and the rats round here walk on ther hind legs carrying baseball bats!! :lol: i'm cool with friendly and helpful theres nothing worse than rude people, it really makes my toes curl when people don't even say thank you, it costs nothing, respect and appreciation works both ways.....hey maybe if i take the pies they'll save me a sunbed every morning!!! :o

Welsh honey, i've heard there are two types of water available, but apparently the one to avoid is called Mawra!! dunno for sure but apparently it's a cure for constipation!!! urgh!!!! :oops:
amandajgee

Thnks for the reply will keep that in mind.
:( :cry: have you seen the latest reports on this hotel, have got me really rattled as there have been nothing but negative views.
Welshoney, that was exactly how i felt when i originally started this post, and i have been constantly up and down about it, but then i just accepted that for two whole weeks i'm away from all the fuss at home and it's just me and my boys (hub & son) with no worries, no interuptions, plenty of sunshine, golden/white sands, in a hotel that's huge enough to find a fab spot and quiet space. Smile and say hello to everyone you sit or lie near and the friendliness will be returned, choose your food from the bottom upwards on the buffet and take all your allinclusive cards with you when you go the bar. Tunisia is still a 3rd world country, so go with this in mind and your expectations won't be to high, and if your laid back enough and accept that you will be approached by traders, or stared at by locals, or even attempted to be puchased in return for camels, then you wont be insulted, just smile and say NO THANK YOU and turn your head back to what you was doing. Make your first tip a generous one, this way you have your waiters, pool mans, barstaffs attention, just drop it to a dinar for each as the hol goes on, i'm told they will be more helpful friendly and attentive, as i read the average wage is around £60 -£70 per month!!! so every little helps.

Just enjoy yourself, no point sulking about something out of our control, it's still a holiday, just think about the people that can't afford to go anywhere!

Have fun honey. xx
i'm with you on all that, it's just the last couple of posts have been so negative.

But as you say it is big enough for us to find our own time and space.

50 days and counting :hyper
hello to everyone,
have you been to the sahara beach?? if so what is it really like, ive heard alot of negative about this place,is it true that its classed as a mini butlins??
would love to hear from you. :D
i was at the Sahara beach 2 years ago,and we had a fab time.never been to butlins before.but i can say there is plenty to do or as little if thats what you want.
we were told ,and read a lot of horror storeys about the place,and i am happy to say in my opinion it was all rubbish.its was a brill place and a great holiday. people were excellent,and very friendly,10 out of 10 for the rooms.

hellloooooooooooooooooo from the northeast :)
No it's not a mini Butlins IMHO. I wasn't struck on the entertainment, but that didn't bother me. Thought the pool area was really nice and the staff wee very friendly
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.