Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
I think there is an ATM opposite the qawra palace hotel
doonhamer32,

I'm a bit old fashioned since I still take travellers cheques cause quite frankly I just don't trust ATMs. However, if I'm staying at the Coastline, it's worth a trip over to Bugibba to cash the cheques. I've found that you get probably the best exchange rate at the place where they sell the lotto tickets,

Trev
atleast with ATMs you get the money you are supposed to.... not aimed at Maltese money changers in particular, but the stories I've heard of people being short-changed at a money changer.. I've had a couple try it on with me, once in Thailand, once in Indonesia..... then of course there's the risk of being given fake notes. ATMs all the way for me
Usually I'm with you Trev, and take TCs, but the missus has decided we should use our Nationwide card 'cos they don't charge fees, so what can I do? We'll probably end up taking a mix, so thanks for the heads up on the exchange place in Buggiba.
Hi gozomark,

Hmm - did I ever tell you the one about my niece who used her card in an ATM - had it cloned and had several thousand pounds taken out of her account via cash and other articles puchased? Mind you that was in Wales and not abroad.

Seems to me that there aren't any foolproof and secure ways of ensuring that your not going to be potentially fleeced where money's concerned!

I have to say that I've never had a problem in Malta or Gozo and I guess I ought to use the ATMs there. Do you know if supermarkets give cash back in Malta as they do in the UK cause that's how I tend to obtain my cash here?

Trev
agree nothing foolproof, but I'm presuming your neice wasn't out of pocket in the end, whereas a rip-off at a money changer leaves no trace....

as for cashback, never heard of it (in Malta), and even if they do, I'd guess it would only be on locally issued cards

ps just today, HSBC announced they have installed an ATM at Cirkewwa !
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.