Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
We stayed in the Salmakis Hotel 2 years ago and found it to be quiet nice on the whole. We paid a litle extra for a suite and this turned out to be worth its weight in gold as it was like a huge apartment (without the kitchen) There were 2 balconies and best of all the view was to die for the whole of Bodrum harbour was laid out in front of us and we spent many a happy hour sipping ice cold wine and watching all the comings and goings of shipping and sail boats etc.
We went b&B only and boy were we glad because the first night we paid for the buffet dinner and it was very disappointing. Breakfast however was quite good.
There was a water taxi just below the hotel which took you over to Bodrum. This was great because it took nearly an hour to walk into the centre of Bodrum. The hotel is built into the side of a cliff under the windmills which divide Bodrum from Gumbet. Make sure you are fit before you go as there are hundreds of steps in this hotel. To get from the main hotel entrance down to the pool there are 80 steps. We got used to it but thankfully we had no kids with us. Kids had to be carried as all the steps were exhausting for them in the heat. I think people with buggies just gave up and left them in the rooms( the buggies not the kids! ).
The regular bedrooms were ok, at least any ones I saw that had a door open as I passed looked nice enough but the suite was well worth the extra even for the view alone.
The staff watched out like hawks for any guests bringing in food and drinks from the supermarkets. We were careful and hid them in our backpacks. The mini bars in the rooms were not wired up to reception so if you bought similar brands of soft drinks and beer you could replace warm ones that you had sneaked in with cold mini bar ones and it didn't cost anything.
Entertainment , 2 years ago , was harmless. A fashion show one night and a fellow on a keyboard another night !! It was a gorgeous walk over the hill to Gumbet which we did nearly every night. We had some spectacular meals in the Turkish Kitchen which is situated in the road immediately behind Bar Street.
Rooms were cleaned every day and there was never any shortage of towels. The swimming pool was gorgeous and there was a tiny little beach another flight of steps down which was sweet.

We loved Salmakis and would return again, but a word of warning - go to the Gym a few times and do the cross trainer before you go or you will have jelly legs for the first few days from climbing all the steps.
Happy hols!!! :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.