Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
San Anton Hotel
23 Posts
is this the san anton hotel in bugibba?
Its in St Pauls Bay.

Thanx for your reply.........
Hi

think I know the one you mean, as I have stayed in it, albeit a few years ago. When I stayed, it was called the Stanton, and was so bad, we asked to be moved into its sister hotel, which is the Santa Maria across the road. The San Anton has been refurbished, so is a lot better. I couldn't tell you what it is like now though, as I have not stayed since that one time. I've stayed in the Santa Maria 3 times, and that's fine (Well, adequate is the word I use, because basically all I wanted was a roof over my head at night and it was fine for that).

Sorry I couldn't help you more.
  • Edited by smh2005 2005-06-24 13:17:38
Thanks for your help and I take some comfort from the fact that you say it has since been re-furbished. Are you certain of that?

Thanks again :)
We stayed there in October 2003 and we found it OK. We were all inclusive and had no problems with the hotel, food, drinks, room (ceiling fan only - may be a problems when it is very hot) or pool.

When we went you also had use of the all inclusive facilities in the hotel just over the road which means that we had the choice of about 5 bars and of course two restaurants.

We have read the negative comments about this hotel but we didn't have any problems. The best bit was the Hopleaf! We've been to Malta a few times since and not had Hopleaf as all inclusive.

I am sure you will enjoy yourself!
yes I am certain of the fact that it has been refurbished. It had just undergone major refurbishment the last time I went, which was 2001.

As they say, you can't knock it until you try it, so find out for yourself :D
Well it sounds a little more promising now though I must say the reviews on here really shocked me and I was beginning to think "What have I done?" :(
don't worry, I think they took into consideration the fact that it badly needed something to be done when I was there, and it did look a hell of a lot better when we last went, I suppose it's each to their own.
I stayed there just over a year ago. Room was in need of decorating but clean sheets and towels. Nice bar and internet facilities plus you can also dine at the Santa Maria across the road where I found the breakfast to be better and the reataurant more pleasant. The only thing that bothered me was that the bed linnen although clean always smelled of vinegar!
Hi there :wave We have stayed at the San Anton several times and found it to be OK for a 3 star (by Malta standards) The rooms in the main building are large and usually have 2 double beds. They are clean and towels changed every day. In the past we have been given a room that was small with no windows but immediately asked to change it, which they did. We went last year and our daughters room was big enough to have a football match in there!
The food in the restaraunt was always hot with plenty of choice. They regularly did temp. checks on the food on display.
We are going to Malta next week (YEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! :lol: ) and the only reason we aren't staying at the San Anton is because the rooms have no A/C
Apart from all that you only sleep in the rooms, go and see Malta.
When you come out of the entrance of the San Anton, turn left, first right and at the end of that street on your right is the Jesters bar, on your left Ziggies bar. From ziggies walk straight forward and at the end of that road you get the most wonderful view af St Pauls harbour and the Island. Say hello to Robert in the 23 New steps bar. From there left will take you down to the little church and down the steps to the harbour will take you to Buggiba front.
Hope you have a great time. I know we will next week :fly
Cheers

That sounds a lot better. I do intend to hire a car and get around Malta as much as possible so as long as the Hotel is clean and does not have creepy crawlies as suggested I will be ok. Thanks for the level of detail Charliegirl.............
Does anyone know if the plugs/sockets for electricity are compatible with ours? I've heard they're exactly the same but that seems too good to be true................. :?
No adaptors are needed.

Plugs run on same voltage as us.
Have stayed at San Anton a few times in the hotel and self catering apartments.
Would not stay in the self catering apatments again very basic and as no A/C very hot in summer.
Would stay in the hotel again nice large room with 2 large beds.
Have always found the food to be good,plenty of choice.
small swimming pool that can get a bit noisy but ok.
Internet for use in reception cost about LM2 for aout 2 hours.
Hotel staff very nice clean towels every day.
very large reception area with A/C and hotel in good position for everthing.
turn right out of hotel across roundabout down steps and try kay cee bar well worth a visit to see charlie.
Will be there myself this thursday for 2 weeks.
hi there :wave It seems that a few of us will be in St Pauls at the same time. We are going on Thurs 30th, staying at the Topaz. It might be worth a visit to Ziggies on sunday as they use to have a great English singer called Steve on then, not sure if he is still there but its worth popping in for a drink with Paul and his staff. Hope everyone has a great time!!! :fly
I have just returned from 2 weeks in this hotel and am pleased to say had no problems at all.
The hotel is clean (and cleaned regularly) The food is decent, though not fantastic. The breakfast is very good with bacon,sausage, eggs, toast, cereal orange juices and tea and coffee.

Staff were courteous and helpful at all times. Entertainment is ok. No better or no worse than any other hotel/resort i've been to.

Rooms in the hotel are basic but as i said above, no better or no worse than other mediterranean countries/resorts.

If you book a room here, you may need to add a fridge,tea/coffee facilities and safe depending on your tastes. I added all three and it cost me about 50 lira for the 2 weeks but you get about 10 lira back when you return the items undamaged. This, I thought was slightly expensive.

The pool area is a delight especially if you have children. The pool bar serves drinks and snacks all day and the earea is clean and well maintained.

Someone in this thread mentioned cats. There are some cats that hang about,mainly in a little garden area. They are no problem at all and I just don't see what the issue is on that count, unless you really hate cats!

The location of the hotel is excellent as there are bars and restaurants within yards of the hotel. The seafront promenade is about 3 streets from the hotel and is a must for a nice relaxed stroll. There are all sorts of shops,bars,restaurants andd amusements for kids along the promenade.

My reason for posting all this is that I visited this web site out of curiosity before my holiday and was horrified by what I read. I went on holiday with extremely negative feelings and was very apprehensive. The TRUTH is very different from what i read on HOLIDAYTRUTH so I'm advising people not to get carried away with negative (or positive) things they read on here.

I can only speak from my experience of San Anton hotel of course. My impression of the negative comments are that most were in the low season when maybe hotels don't put in as much effort....................

On the whole i'd give San Anton 8 out of 10. :D
How did you find the resort in general we are thinking of visiting next year. How long does it take to walk to Bugibba for instance?
Hi boydsj

If you haven't done so already, you can post a review of your experiences here:

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/malta/bugibba/san-anton-hotel/

Thanks

luci :wave
Thinking about going to the San Anton Hotel again in October. It was good last time so may try it again.

Does anyone know if Hopleaf and Carlsberg are still included in the all inclusive?

Thanks for any help!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.