Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Click Here and Here For our resort reports of Skala/Scala (we have the two spellings)

Click Here For our resort reports for Pefkohori.

Hope this helps.
Ponytales - I can't help with the resorts as we stayed in different ones but of the two palces we found more to do on Kefalonia than Halkidiki.
Cant comment on Halkidiki I am afraid but Kefalonia and particularly Scala, where I have stayed twice, I can thoroughly recommend and the island as a whole is wonderful. What Hotel are you looking at? We stayed at Tara Beach which is also right on the beach and only 3 mins walk to the all the tavernas and bars. It is not an 18-30 resort by any means, but there are enough places to eat and sufficient bars to keep you entertained and the drive from Scala (you must hire a car) through Poros and over the mountains to Agia Efimia and all the places on the way is stunning. I hope this has helped but as I say, I cant comment on Halkidiki.
Thanks for the advice.

It seems Kefalonia was the most popular choice and i have just booked it!!!!!

Will let you know how it went on our return
Ponytales.

I am sure you will have a wonderful time. Where are you staying and what accommodation?
Having been to both thses places would recommend skala in kefalonia, halkidiki did not feel very Greek to me, i think its a scale thing! in kefalonia you can easily get around all of the island in a few days wth a hire car. Skala a good base with plenty of tavernas and bars to see the night away in or relax with greatviews.
Having beek to both places although Halkadiki was many years ago, I would recommend Kefalonia, all depending on what you want, you have beaches in Kefalonia, beautiful scenery, plenty of places to see and do, if you do not want to hire a car or motor bike local transport is very cheap and reasonably available,
Hope you enjoy wherever you choose,
pojo
i have been to kefalonia many times and i would say that there are 2 parts to skala. the area around the old village at the centre of skala. this is very nice, with a little square, old buildings and pleasant tavernas and quiet bars.

however, there are quite a few new development s along the coast calling themselves 'skala' but they can be up to a kilometer from the centre. although this is not a problem in terms of accessing the beach - it is 2km long of fabulous white sand, you can get stranded. in the summer sun, or in the evening after a few drinks, a kilometer is a long walk. you can get stranded in these horrid complexes being forced to eat and drink only within in the complex.

not trying to put you off skala which i think is very nice, just making sure you dont end up in the wrong place!
The old village of Skala is up on the side of the mountain and until last year was a ghost town having been destroyed in the earthquake in 53. There are now a few villas that have been restored from the ruins or built new which are up for sale for extortionate prices and being rented in the meantime.

The main part of Skala (what used to be called Nea Skala) is the village - one main street running down to the sea with lots of little side roads. This is where everybody moved after the earthquake. Some of the wooden huts that were built at that time are still there in use. Here you will find shops and tavernas, the church and the two squares.

The newest part of "Skala" is along the beachfront in the direction of Poros. The authorities decided to allow development along the coastal road for 10km so you may well find yourself booked into accommodation in "Skala" which is nowhere near the village at all so read the brochure carefully. The taxi drivers will enjoy taking your money to get you backwards and forwards if this is the case. The beach itself is about 4km long and then after this there are a few little coves and a tiny harbour that some people have never noticed even though they have been going to Skala for years!

Despite all the development, people return to Skala year after year. Try to stay in the village and get to know the locals - it's their friendliness that brings people back (rather than the johnny-come-latelys from Athens who want to make a fast buck).
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.