Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
sea planes
12 Posts
I was very nervous before i went on my first seaplane flight but now I treat it just like another flight. On our last trip we did 5 take offs and landings as we had to pick up and drop off at other islands.

The planes are perfectly safe - although if you go though bad weather you tend to know about it as the smaller the plane the more it will be effected by air pockets etc.

The planes hold 15 people in 5 rows of single seats and a double seat seperated by an isle. Your tall friend should have no problems if he chooses a single seat as he can put his knees sideways, and the seatbelts are a tad larger than normal aircraft belts. I am a larger lady and I've never had any problems so he should be fine.
My Husband and I are terrible flyers, but we were determined to enjoy everything about our honeymoon even the sea planes.

i must admit i loved the sea plane, i treated it as a ride & because we had never been the maldives before we were just gobsmacked by the beauty of everything, so the journey was fine.
they weigh all the baggage before you get on so as long as you are under your allowance i can't see it being a problem
We went to Sun Island a couple of years ago, and the sea plane was about a 40 minute flight each way. The planes dont go up if the weather is bad. I thought it was the most fantastic experience ever, as you fly at about 4000 feet, and the islands look amazing from that height. Youve nothing whatsoever to worry about - the plane trip will be one of the many highlights of your holiday im sure. As for the planes themselves, they are quite small and narrow - you may be cramped in a little, but its not for long, and as i say, you wont think about the size once youre looking down on the Maldive islands! I understand its a bit daunting if youve never been on a plane that small - i was a little nervous when we got on board - but that soon went once we took off and i would LOVE to do it again. Enjoy it, you lucky person!!
Hi. I think it depends on who you fly with and where you are going. There are two sea plane companies that operate in the Maldives. Maldives Air Taxi (red and white) and Trans Maldivian Airways (blue and yellow).

We flew with Trans Maldivian in a Twin Otter plane which has two seats on one side of the plane and one seat on the other side. It was great. Expect the pilots to be bare foot! I would love their job.

As the plane was not full our luggage came with us on the plane. Sometimes if the plane is full the luggage will come by boat. I dont know if you are getting the plane on your outward or return leg of the journey. If its the outward leg its best to pack a hat, suntan lotion and bikini in your hand luggage just in case.

Enjoy the flight and just look at the amazing site of the Maldives below. Incredible.

Michelle
many thanks to you all-I think I will pluck up the courage and go on one-on one direction anyway!
A great experience and a must do when you visit the Maldives. I couldn't imagine a 4 hours on a boat after the 10 hour flight....

One small pointer is to try and get the front seat (there is a fan there that will cool you down) or take a small hand-held fan as when the plane is still on the water the temperature inside the plane is very hot & sticky... When you are 4500 feet up there is a slight breeze and it cools thins down.
The seaplane was one of the highlights of the holiday. The views are spectacular of the deep blue ocean, and the coral islands.

Landing 5 times on the sea was a great experience, and very safe. Enjoy it..
Can anyone tell me if you can have access to your luggage at Male airport, before it is put on the boat, to follow you to your resort when you are flying there by sea plane? It is recommended that you take a change of clothes and toiletries in your hand luggage as your suitacse may not turn up at the resort until midnight. I was wondering if this could be packed in our cases, then taken out at Male airport to travel with us on the sea plane. :?

Cheers
Phill
You do have access to your luggage but not for very long. When you check in with your rep, they will direct you to the sea plane desk at the airport. As soon as you tell them your name they will add luggage labels to your suitcase and whisk it away and put it on the luggage van to tack it over to the seaplane terminal.

When you get to the seaplane terminal, pick up your luggage and then check it in at one of the desks. From then until you arrive at the island you'll not have access to your luggage.

I would take a change of clothes in your hand luggage bag and then put a small plastic zip-lock bag somewhere easily accessible in your case which you can whip out quickly with any toilettries you might need as with the current restrictions mean you can't have these in your hand luggage.
We have never had a problem with our luggage and it has always come with us on the sea plane.
I was slightly apprehensive by the sea plane transfer and was pretty pleased when we landed. :D I think we had a couple of stops on the way to Sun Island.
We were seated immediately behind the pilots and watched with great interest as they push and pulled levers etc.Both were bare footed, which I think is the norm out there.
The view is spectacular without question. I really loved it when we landed in which the plane taxied up to a raft which is positioned just off the island. We got out and waited for the boat to pick us up. The peace and tranquillity of bobbing around on the Indian ocean is just amazing with the water lapping up against the raft.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.